Question Mailing List Management Software - Advice?
    What do you use to manage your mailing list(s)?

I am looking for something with good categorization options, and an inbuilt SMTP mailer.

Thanks.

Geno

15 years and counting
    aweber.com
    I'm not sure you want to send the emails yourself. You can get banned by ISPs easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    What do you use to manage your mailing list(s)?
    Take a look at http://www.phplist.com/

It's open source, customizable, and quite feature rich. I really like it.

Thanks for asking the question Geno,
    I have been looking to switch mailing companies as well.

Aweber and phplist are the 2 that have been on my short list. The only trouble has been has been finding a good phplist host - who do you guys use?

thx.

I've also had verticalresponse.com recommended to me, but the two mentioned above sound interesting as well.

Geno

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I had set up Phplist on my own hosting account, but I always found it too complicated to really work with!

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Geno, this works for us.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

I really like Constant Contact (constantcontact.com). No software needed, but you have to pay a monthly fee. For me, it's worth it.

Constantcontact.com

icontact.com

myemma.com

verticalresponse.com

topica.com

I used to work at Constant Contact so I'm familiar with the industry. I've heard great things about vertical response and my emma. A close friend of mine worked at iContact and I've always been impressed with their offering. iContact has a great feature set at the lowest cost. Constant Contact is a great tool but I worked there so I am bias.

Let me know if I can help

Don't suppose any of ya might know about any free mailing list or free software to do my own newsletter?? Had used Constant Contact when it was free for little guys but then they changed and ya have to pay for it now. (Especially after putting a sign up form on each and every single page of my site my ownself before I knew about find and replace and if that wasn't bad enough.. had to remove each and every single one from all the pages.)

Since I'm so teeny, just doesn't make sense to be paying for somethin like that. So....was thinking of maybe somehow doin it all myself but don't really have a clue what's involved in that.?? Anybody with any experience in doing their own???

I used to use MOJO (DataMail). It was pretty cool. Problem was that is used up resources on my shared host server and I would get in trouble when sending out large volumes of mail. Another problem is that it may be subject to hackers if you don't keep it up to date. Still, it had some good features.

I bit the bullet and paid for constant contact. Paying more than I want to, but it does provide all the features I need and more, not worrying about people accusing us of spam, stats, and more.

Thank you Afilyit
    Had never heard of that one but will look into it. Doubt if I'd ever have large volumes to send out so that wouldn't be a problem.

Sorry for a dummy question but when you say: "Another problem is that it may be subject to hackers if you don't keep it up to date."
    umm not sure what you mean by that? I really have no experience with newsletters at all cept a teeeeny bit with Constant Contact so don't have a clue what you're referring to.

As for Constant Contact, if I could afford it I'd definitely use it. The short period of time that I was, I really did like it a lot.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

ABW Ambassador
    I was looking for something new myself. Using Buzzcast now, still works but they shut it off to any new subscribers years ago. Had Vertical Response and Aweber at the top of my list, still need to look thru them.

Those two I think are pretty good ones, least an awful lotta people seem to think so cos I receive a lot with their names on em. Think Shawn Collins may use the Aweber so he could give ya his thoughts. (got a newsletter from him earlier today lol think I remember something in it sayin that )

Never heard of Buzzcast but that's a great name for a newsletter

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Thank you Afilyit
    Had never heard of that one but will look into it. Doubt if I'd ever have large volumes to send out so that wouldn't be a problem.

Sorry for a dummy question but when you say: "Another problem is that it may be subject to hackers if you don't keep it up to date."
    umm not sure what you mean by that? I really have no experience with newsletters at all cept a teeeeny bit with Constant Contact so don't have a clue what you're referring to.

As for Constant Contact, if I could afford it I'd definitely use it. The short period of time that I was, I really did like it a lot.

Thanks again for your suggestion.
    Sorry for the confusion. Constant Contact is hosted by the company, so you don't have to install anything. DadaMail is a something you host on your own website...therefore, your web site is subject to hacking if the "scripts" you upload to your site are not secure. Makes sense now?

Hi Geno,

Are you just looking for a mailing program? QuickPayPro (dot) com is supposed to be good as an all-around solution. It has affiliate tracking, ad tracking, and the email system. I tried it a few years ago but I didn't need all the bells and whistles, so I cancelled it.

I had Aweber also for a site that I did an ecourse for. It worked well but I took the site offline and didn't need it anymore.

As a matter of fact, I have been searching for a mailing system for a site that I am building for the area that I live in. I was going to just try to code something myself but I would feel more comfortable with a pre-built system. I have been reading reviews, and more reviews, and yet still more reviews, and they all seem to point toward Constant Contact or Aweber.

phpList is another one that I have tried but, as lostdeviant stated, it is rather awkward. And if you aren't into getting into at least a little of php coding, you may not like it either.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you try and what you think of it.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    When I was a merchant I used constant contact. Now I use your mailing list provider ymlp because it works for what I'm doing.

"Sorry for the confusion. Constant Contact is hosted by the company, so you don't have to install anything. DadaMail is a something you host on your own website...therefore, your web site is subject to hacking if the "scripts" you upload to your site are not secure. Makes sense now?"

Thank you

Been looking at MailMonkey, yes thats the name!
    Bob Pets Warehouse

I think campaignmonitor dot com is pretty terrific. There are no monthly fees - you only pay when you send mail - and the API is out of this world.

I'm using Constant Contact. I think the trial is 2 months long. They have good standards and makes mail going off their servers have a good delivery rate.

Definitely has to be a free one. Never made a newsletter and put it in email all by myself before but campaignmonitor dot com appears to have some helpful stuff I'm gonna read.
    Thanks a lot everybody, really appreciate it

I'm using Dada Mail right now, and I guess I can recommend it. At least it does what I need, which is taking static snapshots of a url at set intervals and sending it to my users. It was also pretty easy to integrate an ajax signup form into it, and manage multiple lists.

On the downside, it's all written in Perl. I originally designed one of my sites in Perl and, once I started seeing considerable traffic, realized that I needed to learn php. If I was doing it again, I'd probably check out a php solution, and maybe even consider outsourcing it for the reasons others cited above.

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    Been looking at MailMonkey, yes thats the name!
    Oops it's called MailChimp.com

Also here's a top ten review, but it look like some money influenced it?
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Thanks for the clarification PetsWarehouse.com I did kinda figure it out that you must've meant that after making a search.

Ok, kinda revising my request a bit. Don't think I'm understanding what all's involved with a newsletter. Told ya I don't have any experience with this at all other than Constant Contact and they made it very easy for me to just make up the newsletter at their site and send it out after placing a signup on my site and having people signed up for it.

I know how I can make a signup on my site (least think so) and suppose I could keep track of email addresses myself.

So.....wouldn't have to be free. Is there software out there somewhere that I could purchase to actually make up the newsletter? As mentioned by me earlier it appears campaignmonitor dot com has some resources there that maybe would help me to make up templates (if it's just a matter of me putting wording or coding into something like how I would make a page for my site?? I must really sound like a dummy cos I really don't have a clue how this works at all.

I send email all the time so know what that's like. I don't do anything other than just start typing away, tho. Is it a big complicated process to make up your own newsletter to send??

Is this something I could just send using my site's email from the inbox or c-panel? Or....do I need to know a bunch of stuff to configure something or some type of software to do it?

Am willing to pay within reason for some type of software, just can't afford to pay for each email I would send out to people. Is there something out there that could be possible to do what I'm thinking????

Definitely don't know php or perl...only taught myself the html and doubt I would live long enough to teach me both of them, too. Am attempting to learn more about php but nowhere near there yet.

Sorry for my dumminess on this subject. Any help would greatly be appreciated. At this point, not sure this is something I could do or not??

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread