new merchant seeks help
    Hello everyone!

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. If not, I apologize. We signed up as a merchant with SAS late Dec. / early Jan. and are just now getting around to working it. My partner basically turned the affiliate marketing endeavor over to me and I'm a total newbie. He knows little about it himself, so I need advice from the experts.

I found this board on my own, while searching for info and it's been really informative, but it also created a lot of other questions for me. I guess what I would like to know now is what is it that I need to do next to get started.

Here are my questions:

1. I uploaded banners of various sizes (based on what I read here) last week. I'm going to add some more text links but do they need to have "click here" included in them? I know that might be a silly question, but hey....I'm new!

2. Data feed. I've seen a few posts on this but have not been able to determine how the affiliates use it. Do you actually add the products to one of your sites? How useful is it?

3. Phone tracking. Believe me, we are only all too happy to pay you for generating sales. And we do get phone orders. What is the recommended method for tracking phone sales?

4. How do I inform our approved affiliates that banners have been uploaded? Is there anything else I should tell them?

I think that's it for now, but if there's something that a new merchant should know and I didn't know enough to ask, please enlighten me.

We have a unique gift product. Our clients are both individuals and businesses seeking something unique for their clients and/or employees.

I'm quite certain I read on here somewhere that it's inappropriate to post the URL, so I'll leave that out.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide. I've seen a few posters here who are on our affiliate list!

Regards,
    sheri

http and a telephoto
    Welcome to ABestWeb

Quote Originally Posted by sronie

1. I uploaded banners of various sizes (based on what I read here) last week. I'm going to add some more text links but do they need to have "click here" included in them? I know that might be a silly question, but hey....I'm new!
    A call to action is good, but Click Here is not necessary. Remember that affiliates can change the text in text links if they want to add something different.
    2. Data feed. I've seen a few posts on this but have not been able to determine how the affiliates use it. Do you actually add the products to one of your sites? How useful is it?
    Within Shareasale and outside of Shareasale there are tools that can only be used if you provide a product datafeed. Some affiliates only use those tools to pull products into their pages, and others have systems that allow them to use datafeeds to populate their entire sites. There is an entire forum here that discusses datafeeds and how they are used. And they are extremely useful for those affiliates that use them correctly.
    3. Phone tracking. Believe me, we are only all too happy to pay you for generating sales. And we do get phone orders. What is the recommended method for tracking phone sales?
    There is a script in the Shareasale help section that you add to your site under your Customer Service number that displays the referring affiliate ID or the number 22 if there isn't an affiliate referal. Your operators need to ask for this id, and then you need to add the transactions to Shareasale manually for processing.
    4. How do I inform our approved affiliates that banners have been uploaded? Is there anything else I should tell them?
    Use the newsletter function.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager JusticeforGirls's Avatar
    Loxly has given you lots of great information to start with.

I reccomend reading Geno's Book: A Practical Guide to Affiliate Marketing: Quick Reference for Affiliate Managers & Merchants. {Shameless Plug} I would include a link, but I'd only get about 50 people accusing me of trying to make a commission from the sale.

I have found that sending newsletters to your affiliates is a very effective way to get your program moving forward and keep your publishers updated on your promotions.

Happy Marketing!

loxly / w&b...thanks for the info. I'm working on the datafeed now. There's quite a bit of tweaking required from our csv file, but tweaking is a lot easier than starting from scratch!

thanks again,
    sheri

As a newbie affiliate, I'll give you my advice for merchants.

I wish all of my merchants sent newsletters a few times a year to let me know what they're doing, what products they want to focus on, if any new creatives are available, and so on. If for no other reason, I just like to know that they're still in business and realize that they have affiliates trying to work for them!

Also, datafeeds are a great resource to find out if prices on specific products have changed, if there are pictures for individual products (thumbnails and large images) and if those picture URLs have changed (to fix broken image links), and so on. If you make a datafeed, please use as many fields as you can. For example, the brand name of each product is often a useful piece of information that many merchants fail to put in the datafeed. I end up writing parsers to look for brand names in the "name" field, or just throwing away products altogether if the parsers can't identify key pieces of information.

Those are my thoughts. Good luck to you!

Neil

Affiliate Manager
    Sheri, you may also consider hiring an OPM some time down the road. Some of them offer co-management services, where you can learn from them as you manage your affiliate program collaboratively with them.

Alexei

I totally agree with above post 1000%. Unless you are 100% committed to doing what it really takes to make your program successful ( which is alot more than doing the easy part of setting thing up) I would HIGHLY recommend outsourcing your program.
    PS: You don't need to look to hard to find one (hint hint), as there are excellant ones within these forum walls.

great post, this has helped me alot! Thank you.

Thanks to all for the tips and info.

I'm back to working on the data feed and have everything complete except for search terms. I have a question on that so that I do it the right way from the get-go.

Let's say we're the manufacturer of a product geared towards corporate promotions and I use search terms like:

personalized gift
    employee recognition
    client appreciation

For the search terms in the data feed, would the correct format be:

personalized gift, employee recognition, client appreciation (with spaces after comma)

or

personalized gift,employee recognition,client appreciation (no spaces)

Or does it not matter?

Thanks again for the help! Once I get this done, I'll send a newsletter out.

Please be reasonable when including search terms in your datafeed. If you include generic, broad search terms with every single item in the datafeed, you make the datafeed much less useful for affiliates. When I find that a merchant is engaged in unreasonable "keyword stuffing" within their datafeed, I drop the merchant.

That makes sense. Thanks for the advice, Mark.

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Sronie,
    You can use some othe data feed distributor to faciliate your affiliate .
    GlodenCan datafeedfile are cool ones.

Also you can go to http://www.cumbrowski.com/CarstenC/a..._datafeeds.asp

for more info or resource for your affiliate program.

Gump Kan

DHgate Affiliate Team
    -------------------------------------
    Looking for some SEO resources ~~~~~

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread