Anyone have experience with Google Base?
    We recently discovered Google Base while doing updates to our eBay store. There was a link to create an eBay feed for services like Google Base so I checked it out. Google Base is a database of information including products. You can search through Google Base and view listings/postings within the realm of Google Base which is separate from regular Google searches. The beauty of Google Base is that anything listed there automatically becomes searchable through a regular Google search.

Google offered a free widget called the Google Base Store Connector which I used it to create a Google Base listing for each of our eBay items. In addition, I created a file of all the products in our new web store (off eBay) and uploaded them as well. I've been watching the stats for a few weeks and found that we're getting fairly good click through to our web store products but click through to the eBay items is practically nil. I suspect that the Google Base Store Connector uploads a more limited amount of data and therefore ranks poorly in searches. On the other hand, the file I create from our web store inventory contains nearly all the text within in any given product listing. Additionally, it seems the stats are best right after re-submitting the products so it makes sense to re-list on a regular bases.

I think the Google Base listings are fantastic because there is no waiting for your site to be spidered and indexed. Even a new site like ours will be listed and searchable within 24 hours of uploading and will begin getting immediate exposure.

We're developing a new website that will contain all our affiliate promos. Google Base should work very well for gathering click throughs using the method above.

Anyone else have experience with Google Base?

Ed

GoogleBase evolved, I think, out of the Froogle price-comparison service that Google has now "de-emphasized." It's always been a great way for merchants with either unique products or competitive pricing to pick up extra traffic and eyeballs (free!) but the results have declined as Google has limited where the data is actually shown.

Any merchant who is NOT feeding their product data into GoogleBase should certainly do so. (The only situation I can see where this would likely be "wasted effort" is for merchants who offer the exact same merchandise with the same product titles and descriptions as other merchants who sell the products for less.)

It is important to recognize that Google Base is a huge target for "price spamming," where feeds are submitted that include fake pricing -- or lower-than-reasonable pricing for products that are out-of-stock to draw traffic for a "bait-and-switch." As a result, the usefulness of listings in GoogleBase vary considerably from niche to niche.

And (to answer the question that some affiliates may be asking) no, affiliates may NOT submit a GoogleBase feed using affiliate links.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I use Google Base for my Cafe Press shops. It drives a good bit of traffic. One idea is to have a "loss leader" or low priced item to get your shop in front of more eyes.

I didn't know about the widget and thank you for that info.

The widget is great. We upload our Yahoo store to GB through it. Quick and painless, although it creates non consequential errors when it tries upload categories. No biggie.

SlumberMart uses it as well. Our storefront software for that site creates an XML that I can FTP up. Works very nicely.

We receive a fair amount of traffic through it, but we've only been doing it a month or so, so I don't have good benchmarks set yet to give you my overall impression.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    although it creates non consequential errors when it tries upload categories. No biggie.
    I noticed that. If you have items listed in multiple categories within your eBay store there will be duplicate item errors too...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    One idea is to have a "loss leader" or low priced item to get your shop in front of more eyes.
    Good idea. The old Wallmart trick of putting low priced items in the isles! List a really cheap less desirable item on GB and then display the upgraded better quality items along with the cheap one on your resulting page.

My brain is starting to race!

I used google base for my other business and have had no luck with it. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because I'm not as smart as the rest of you.

Heck... I don't even know how people find the products on GB. I mean, who even searches there?

Quote Originally Posted by Mulligan
    who even searches there?
    I don't believe anyone searches there. In the stats for GB the GB page views are tracked and so far in a couple hundred listings not even one has been viewed. The beauty of it is that these listings are searchable in regular Google searches. That's why I list on GB.

BTW Intelligence isn't measured by the amount of knowledge you acquire...

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    I don't believe anyone searches there. In the stats for GB the GB page views are tracked and so far in a couple hundred listings not even one has been viewed. The beauty of it is that these listings are searchable in regular Google searches. That's why I list on GB.

BTW Intelligence isn't measured by the amount of knowledge you acquire...
    Really, I don't recall ever having done a google search and landing on a page that was listed in GB? I guess unless the google listing said it was foung on GB, one would never know.

But then again.... I am a "newbie" and we are renouned for not knowing anything!

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    To search on GB you need to go to the "Shopping" link at the top.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

I guess unless the google listing said it was foung on GB, one would never know.
    That's correct. A GB listing appears as any other link in a Google search result. However, I have noticed that GB items seem to show up at the top of a search with several comparable items indented and displayed by price.

Try this results page, generated from a standard google search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

The google base results are tough to miss in this case, right below the top 3 PPC links.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    It is important to recognize that Google Base is a huge target for "price spamming," where feeds are submitted that include fake pricing -- or lower-than-reasonable pricing for products that are out-of-stock to draw traffic for a "bait-and-switch." As a result, the usefulness of listings in GoogleBase vary considerably from niche to niche.
    I think this is the key to GB. Just three words; NICHE NICHE NICHE. If you're trying to push cell phones, forget about it! You'll never rank. If you're pushing chartreuse Jitterbug cell phones with a great price, you'll probably rank...

I've never been much of a forum haunt, but I must say that the discussion is really stimulating a lot of new ideas and a better understanding of a subject I thought I was knowledgeable about. Thanks...

http and a telephoto

But then again.... I am a "newbie" and we are renouned for not knowing anything!
    Some newbies are quite renowned for knowing a lot.... and for not coping attitudes.

Yes Rhea, GoogleBase is very useful for listing Cafepress merchandise and I am working on a way to upload Imagekind data from the rss feeds.

I will be looking at that widget this evening! Thanks for posting it Boomers.

And affiliate links are taboo in GoogleBase, don't load them, they WILL get zapped.
    Last edited by loxly; February 6th, 2008 at 03:44 PM.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

One downside to Google Base is the relatively poor reporting capabilities. Tracking is pretty much a "do it yourself" scenario.

Now, if I could get that widget to append tracking variables.....
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Google Base Addendum
    I'm bumping this thread with new comments about Google Base. I love Google Base. Now that we have many more products added to our retail site database I've been actively submitting sitemaps to Google for search inclusion as well as keeping the listings current on Google Base.
    In analyzing the top search pages I've found that Google Base listings will make a product page squarely number one in the search results for common keywords related to that product. In fact, some products are number one for the brand name as well.
    It's a bit of a hassle keeping your Google Base listings up to date. They automatically expire after 31 days so you have to update regularly. If you use a database for your page info, all you have to do is create a comma delimited file from the database and upload it to Google. You can optionally upload an XML file if it works better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    One downside to Google Base is the relatively poor reporting capabilities. Tracking is pretty much a "do it yourself" scenario.

Now, if I could get that widget to append tracking variables.....
    Hey Noth,

You can use the google adwords conversion tracking method. Works fairly well.

I love google base also. One of my ventures (not aff marketing) has 100K products in there. You cannot price spam too much - I've has mismatching prices in there before (Human error) and they took down my feed. So they do check random ones.

I agree about the reporting sucking though. I have adwords and Google base. I think the key here might be having Google Checkout which I do not support on our store.

Patrick
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread