How do I handle a "cancel order" email??
    Hi,

I have a blog with links on it to some of my affiliate sites.

I just got email from a contact form -- I THINK it was a contact form on that blog.

It had nothing but a subject line that says "cancel order." The email itself only said "cancel my order."

I have no idea what order, but I do see in my daily stats there is an order for $437.65 from a merchant's website which has a link in the sidebar of the blog I mentioned above.

I have no idea what in the world to do?? I sent an email reply to the guy who sent me the email, asking him what the order was. Assuming he responds and tells me what the order was, what should I do? In my email to him, I told him he needed to contact the merchant directly to cancel the order.

How do I avoid problems with the customer, since he obviously thinks he bought some merchandise directly from me? Anybody have suggestions? Similar experiences?

I have never made enough sales in previous months to have such problems, I guess. I've just been lucky.

Should I panic yet? Should I contact the affiliate manager for that merchant's program?
    Generate more fake news.

Email back and ask for info. More likely, you will receive no further correspondence, if you do, however, refer them to the merchant.
    SomethingStore.com - Surprise and Delight!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    If you contcted him - you're covered.

I actually have an autoresponder that says we neither sell nor ship anything - we have links to merchants that do!

if the customer responds (as they do) that they are 100% positive they bought from you, i tell 'em to check the email confirmation they rec'd for the order

If they send a 3rd email threatening me, I say my name is MichaelColey

Sometimes these are just emails to test your contact form for spamming you. They check to get a valid email address from you.

ABW Ambassador
    "Should I panic yet?"

Nothing to panic about. I get stuff like that every week, where people confuse me for the merchant. Stuff like what you have, cancel order or other problems. I just tell them that I'm not the merchant, I just link to merchants from my site and they have to contact them. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    If they send a 3rd email threatening me, I say my name is MichaelColey
    lol. Just another reason why few here know my first and last name.

Writerguy, I think you have done enough for him in just sending an email back. I agree that the odds for a reply to that are not at all that great. On the remote chance that he does contact you again, just point him to the 800# of the company in question.

-sfcom

You folks are all very reassuring and I thank you for that!

I do enjoy this place -- and always learn something.
    Generate more fake news.

I get an occasional email like that. I also get "where can I get a replacement part for such and such product" or "do you know where I can find this product" type emails. On my contact page, I put some text above the form that has info on how to contact the major merchants I promote on my site. It has cut down on the amount of email I've gotten for those types of questions. I also have compiled a FAQ of all the common questions asked through the contact form and link to that page as well.

If I can answer their question, I will. (I've closed a few sales that way.) Otherwise, I just point them towards the merchant's customer service.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Like the others said, I'd just let 'em know I'm not the merchant and tell them to contact the proper Customer Service person.

Although I must note that it's awfully rare that someone has the knowledge of how to dig up my email address from the whois (I don't show it on my aff sites), AND is simultaneously n00b enough to not realize that I'm not the merchant! I think I've had about 2 idiots write me with something like that in 8-9 years.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I'll get email asking about orders, potential orders now and then, too. I think it's a good idea to help your visitor out as much as possible.

I'll go out of my way to find an answer from the merchant for my visitor. It builds trust and good will. If I can't help, I'll refer them back to the merchant. If it's a complaint about a merchant, I want to know about it anyway so I consider it a positive opportunity to build visitor loyalty by responding and being as helpful as possible.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Although I must note that it's awfully rare that someone has the knowledge of how to dig up my email address from the whois (I don't show it on my aff sites), AND is simultaneously n00b enough to not realize that I'm not the merchant! I think I've had about 2 idiots write me with something like that in 8-9 years.
    Yeah, I figured out awhile ago never to put my email address on my sites.

In this case, the person apparently used the "Contact Form" on the blog where I had the affiliate link. He must've kept track of the blog, gone back there -- or had it open in a tab in his browser? whatever -- then decided to use "Contact Us" to send me the "cancel order" message.

Don't know how else he would've gotten the message to that email address. In fact, I only use the email address for the blog contact form now.
    Generate more fake news.

We get calls/emails like this daily, some even threatening to sue because the product was defective, or some other reason. Its interesting how many people say "this is the credit card i used. ####-####-####...". Some unethical affiliates could really do bad things. But in general, we tell them we just advertise for the merchant, we're not the merchant, and try to give them a link to their contact page, or phone# or email.

FYI -- I swapped emails with the affiliate manager from the merchant where I think the purchase was made. She gave me a toll-free phone number to send the guy who sent me the "cancel" email. I passed that along to him, and explained that I only advertise for the merchants found on my site and have no ability to cancel/refund/ship or anything else.

I still haven't heard anything back from the guy.
    Generate more fake news.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread