Question Toolbars, Affiliate Links and eBay
    Our company just had our Toolbar approved by CJ. It contains one direct affiliate link to eBay.com

However when we went to update the part of the site Incentive/Special Program as required you get a warning that it will reset all your CJ relationships back to Pending so I backed off for now. I'm afraid this might mean our links will go dead or we no longer will get credit for sales until each affiliate approve. (we are with multiple eBays / different companies served up by Geo Targeting) Not sure if this is what happens or not but I couldn't take the chance of hundreds of thousands of pages having dead links on them because our company does not tolerate dead links and I certainly didn't want to be responsible for that. I can't see that happening but you never know which is why I'm trying to find out (still waiting on an answer from CJ and eBay affiliate forum people)

We had a rep from eBay that was excellent but she went AWOL since October not answering her emails or voice mails. She had promised to expedite the process for us once approved. Now we feel left alone. Sent an email to the affiliate people on eBay's own forum with no response either.

So I guess I'm asking if anyone here has experience in this area and advice on how to move forward. Our toolbar has been ready for a while now and this is holding it up....and I'm on the hook because I championed for them to include a few affiliate links which I am starting to regret now because I am now responsible for the holdup of the toolbar release which is now a month overdue.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thank you for taking the time to help

UPDATE: Checked the help tab and it's not good news. We do not get credit for the traffic until it's approved by eBay. Just great, they won't answer my emails or voice mail and I'm stuck in this situation. I'll give it a couple of days but then I guess I'll have to go back to our code guys and ask if they can rip the eBay logo out and put something else in....Just great. What a system...you try to do what is right and it turns into a big mess. Fun huh? I wish I had never brought it up. Sounded like a good idea at the time but now it's just a headache that won't go away.

Here's exactly what CJ says under the Help Tab.

Note: Changing the option from No to Yes sets all affiliations to pending status. Your Program will continue to deliver traffic to those Advertisers. You will not receive commissions on that traffic until they accept the Incentive / Special Program. Coordinate this change with your advertisers and Commission Junction Client Support.

It is a MAJOR business change by adding the toolbar/incentive program. If they didn't do it that way, it would be unfair to the merchants who don't want it and who approved you based on a different business model.
    Maybe pick a slow time, and make the switch and start contacting all the merchants to get back in their programs. But be aware, that some are SLOW, and others won't want to do business with you anymore because of the change.

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by newestuser
    It is a MAJOR business change by adding the toolbar/incentive program. If they didn't do it that way, it would be unfair to the merchants who don't want it and who approved you based on a different business model.
    Maybe pick a slow time, and make the switch and start contacting all the merchants to get back in their programs. But be aware, that some are SLOW, and others won't want to do business with you anymore because of the change.
    There is no slow time. We are a very high volume eBay affiliate and according to our rep in the top 100 companies in affiliate sales. So any downtime except for a day or two is a serious loss.

We only promote eBay nothing else. However we promote many different country eBays using GEO targeting on the site. The toolbar only has eBay.com What's driving me crazy is our eBay contact who up until October was absolutely fanstastic to work with has now apparently dropped off the face of the planet. She was going to make sure it was co-ordinated with me so that she would approve it right away but not has not answered an email or VM since October. I've reached out to the general eBay affiliate emails and to the eBay representative at CJ to find out what happened to her or to find someone else to help. No answer... What gives?

I championed for this link to be included and now because I'm being ignored I look bad to the board because the toolbar has been delayed due to this neglect. If nothing by Monday I have not choice by have the team remove the link so we can release it to the public. So in the end I look bad (because I told everyone this would be an easy process since I even had the email from her promising to expedite the process). I'm completely miffed right now and bewildered as to why no contact / reply with a client who they told me is in the top 100 in sales.

The real question is what is going on with eBay? Our rep was as I said excellent and we've worked on a number of projects and issues. Her phone still works (her VM has her name) email doesn't bounce but no reply at all. An neither does eBay affiliate people. Guess it was not meant to be, but their loss as well because we have the potential to put thousands of these toolbar out there in a very short time.

ABW Ambassador
    Open another CJ acct, wait for approval and then deploy your toolbar.

Or

if you are such a big business (no offense intended), fly down to eBay's office, get an appointment with the rep and get it fixed.

BTW, companies having tool bars, like ebates, upromise, are considered to be parasites as they steal traffic from others. I am not suggesting you have the same model, but you may want to read posts about those two companies elsewhere in this forum.
    Last edited by sam_park; February 8th, 2008 at 11:42 AM.

Does your toolbar access the eBay API?
    If it does, then you could go through certification and there's a straightforward approval process w/ that.

Good Luck,
    Tuan
    [url="http://www.wholesaler.com"]Wholesaler.com[/url]

Arrow
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_park
    Open another CJ acct, wait for approval and then deploy your toolbar.

Not going to happen. This process delayed the toolbar launch

Or

if you are such a big business (no offense intended), fly down to eBay's office, get an appointment with the rep and get it fixed.

BTW, companies having tool bars, like ebates, upromise, are considered to be parasites as they steal traffic from others. I am not suggesting you have the same model, but you may want to read posts about those two companies elsewhere in this forum.
    Our company is not going to fly anyone anywhere because of a eBay link. It's not that important and as I've mentioned, it will be removed now and that is the last of me bringing up affiliate links at a board meeting.

Toolbars Considered parasites? I thought parasites used programs like search pop ups. If people call toolbars parasites they better get a grip because they are wide spread and won't be going away anytime soon. What's stopping any of the ones complaining from having their own toolbar unless of course they have no content or anything of interest to offer their surfers via toolbar.... well we do so we have a toolbar. (no offense intended..not every business model can benefit from having a toolbar)

If our company has the resources to put out thousands of toolbars to our own customers and surfers then what is wrong with having a direct eBay link? If they choose to click a link on a page that person still gets a cookie and if they click our link on the toolbar well that's because they were at our site first and downloaded our toolbar. Toolbars are excellent and branding tool. Parasites indeed. If they forced a cookie then I'd see the issue but that's not the case here.

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by TLE
    Does your toolbar access the eBay API?
    If it does, then you could go through certification and there's a straightforward approval process w/ that.

Good Luck,
    Tuan
    Thank you for the idea.

Tell me more about this API. I'm not the code guy here but I can bring it to someone else's attention. Forgive my lack of knowledge but what is the API and how do you go about learning how to use it?

More about the API affiliate tier here.

And certification, though it looks like they're calling it the "compatible application check", here. I've never had certification take more then a few days and it's documented via a support ticket system.

Tuan
    [url="http://www.wholesaler.com"]Wholesaler.com[/url]

From where I sit you probably dodged a bullet and should be thankful.

From where I sit you probably dodged a bullet and should be thankful.
    That is the truth my friend. As soon as I read what would happen (everything reverting back to Pending) my "oh oh" sense went off.

My biggest concern still is ....where did our affiliate contact from eBay go? She worked with us for over a year and then poof gone and NO ONE from ebay will address the issue. I've given up. We have other areas that need my attention which is probably more profitable anyway.

I am having them look into the API to see if that is feasible to make happen. If not, then that's it. eBay will be removed and the toolbar launched without it. I'm glad Amazon didn't have these kinds of rules (we added an affiliate link to their mp3 downloads).

I thank you all for your input and help. I hope I can return the favour

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread