Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Should I get a Roomba?
    I found a Roomba 510 on sale for $199 and am kicking around the idea of buying it. We have forced air heat, two dogs, a wood stove and an asthmatic in the house. I was thinking maybe a Roomba might help keep the dust down in the bedroom as well as keep the rest of the house tidier in between visits from our cleaning service.

Anybody have this gizmo? Love it? Hate it? Just okay? Whaddya think?

Bet the dogs would have a blast with it.

To me, it just looks like a gimmick. It just moves around randomly, so it won't necessarily clear the whole floor. As small as they are, I can't imagine that it would do a good job cleaning -- It probably kicks up / redistributes quite a bit of dust/dirt. If I remember right, it runs about an hour between charges and can cover just a few hundred square feet in that time.

I'd love to hear from someone who actually uses one, though. I could be totally wrong. I just looked at reviews on Amazon.com and they look good. Many happy customers.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I am on my second one! LOVE IT! Use it everyday primarily for picking up my 2 Labs dog hair and surprisingly does very well on the few carpets we have.
    Great customer service and trade in program as well ( why I am on second )

Mine is the base model...as I don't see a need to get the one that returns to base as you still have to pick it up and empty it anyway.

Only quirk is that like all vacuum brushes string and rubber bands and carpet fibers must be removed often for best results.

We call her Sally.

If you do get one, be sure to get 2 or 3 extra sets of brush replacements so you can pop in a clean set and run while you're cleaning (or putting off cleaning) the other set. They do make a model specifically to deal with pet hair. You might want to look into that.

We have one and it actually does a decent job. (We got it with credit card rewards points. ) I couldn't really tell a difference between it and our regular vac. It does appear at first to move about randomly, but we've noticed that it spends more time cleaning the dirtier spots, i.e. around the bird cage, etc. so there's some intelligence there. Very rarely does it look like it "missed a spot".

Since it is kind of small, it's really only good for one room at a time before you have to clean it out. That's the only real downside I can think of.

It drives our dog nuts though, so you might wanna put the puppies outside when it's working. It's fun to watch the "battle" the first time, but all that barking gets old kinda quick.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Internet Cowboy
    I have had mine for over a year and it ROCKS. It misses the corners but it works amazingly well.
    I got mine at Sam's for $199. It came with a virtual wall which is a unit that is powered by 2 D-Cell batteries and you set it at the doorway to a room or whatever and Roomba does not cross the line.
    It also came with the docking/charging and a remote control. I can walk into my kitchen right now, grab the remote and hit Start and it will work its way around the floors it can get to unless I set the wall up to guide it and then it will go back to the base, park itself and recharge.
    There is also a Max setting where it will just go run until the battery dies and will stay where it dies and there is also a Spot setting where you set it down in an area and it covers a 4' radius of where it is sitting and then tuns itself off.
    I convinced several family members to buy them after I got mine and they are all happy with them.
    I used to think like Michael said above, that they were more of a novelty, but I was wrong.
    Will you still have to sweep, mop and vacuum? Yes. We use Roomba for clean-ups between cleanings to pick up the grass the pups tracked in and general floor dirt.
    I highly recommend it.

Added:
    I have an extra filter and have never had to use it. We just dump it out and then about every two or three times we use it I take it out in the garage and hit it will some air and it comes perfectly clean. It comes with a pick to get hairs, threads and stuff that will get wrapped up in the brush out. It wuld be an idea to have a second brush and filter so you didn't have to clean it every time, but it takes about half a day to recharge after use so you have plenty of time to do that.

I found a Roomba 510 on sale for $199 and am kicking around the idea of buying it.
    Well, my short answer would be that I ditto what Michael said:
    To me, it just looks like a gimmick. It just moves around randomly, so it won't necessarily clear the whole floor. As small as they are, I can't imagine that it would do a good job cleaning -- It probably kicks up / redistributes quite a bit of dust/dirt. If I remember right, it runs about an hour between charges and can cover just a few hundred square feet in that time.
    My long answer would be that since I love any new electronic widgets, I would not mind owning one of those Roomba's, but there is no way that I would pay 200 bucks for that toy.

I have seen all of those Roomba's comercials on TV, and I have seen what it can do on those comercials, but I know that none of those new toys are going to be able to do the real job, that any good decent vacuum cleaner would do.

Look, I am not saying they are that bad, if they just work on real life like they show on TV, I think it's a good idea to own one, but just as a good floor small stuff picker upper, and as an automatic broom slave, maybe even as an new electronic widget bragging topic to our home visitors, but never as a real vacuum cleaner.

Maybe I sound like I am bashing the Roomba's, but I am not.

The only think I don't like about that toy is the high price, because to me, other than the automatic "Turn it on, and place it on the floor" and let it sweep the entire floor automaticly, I don't see why pay all that extra money for something similar to those hand-held portable vacuum cleaners that we can get anywhere locally, for just 25 to 35 bucks.

But that was just my opinion.

You can always buy one and try it for 30 days, and if don't like it *you can returned for your money back.

*That's according to the guarantee they say on the infomercials.

I have a 2500 square foot house with concrete floors throughout.... I am also married to a man who finishes concrete for a living and I have a teenaged son who loves to go "mudding"...... dust and dirt on the floor is a given.....

My friend has a Roomba and has been absolutely enamoured with it..... it won't do deep, deep cleaning, but does keep her from having to vacume EVERY day..... I've watched it in action and am impressed... as soon as I get my check in from one of my sites next month, I'll be buying a Scooba.... it's a Roomba that does mopping..... with my concrete floors, it'll be perfect for keeping things tidy during the weekdays when I'm working, then I can do a little extra on the weekends when I actually have time.

Yeah.... a few hundred bucks is a tad expensive, but I have to sweep every day to keep everything under control..... if it saves me 15 minutes per day and I only use it 5 days per week, I feel that the extra bit of cash is worth the time savings..... after all, I could use that extra 15 minutes each day to add another page or two to my websites.

Quote Originally Posted by kayecee
    I have a 2500 square foot house with concrete floors throughout.... I am also married to a man who finishes concrete for a living and I have a teenaged son who loves to go "mudding"...... dust and dirt on the floor is a given.....

My friend has a Roomba and has been absolutely enamoured with it..... it won't do deep, deep cleaning, but does keep her from having to vacume EVERY day..... I've watched it in action and am impressed... as soon as I get my check in from one of my sites next month, I'll be buying a Scooba.... it's a Roomba that does mopping..... with my concrete floors, it'll be perfect for keeping things tidy during the weekdays when I'm working, then I can do a little extra on the weekends when I actually have time.

Yeah.... a few hundred bucks is a tad expensive, but I have to sweep every day to keep everything under control..... if it saves me 15 minutes per day and I only use it 5 days per week, I feel that the extra bit of cash is worth the time savings..... after all, I could use that extra 15 minutes each day to add another page or two to my websites.
    The Scooba is next for us. I hear they're also coming out with a robot to clean your gutters!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    I have also heard great things about the Roomba. I hate my vacuum cleaner - 25 lbs of awful! I have skipped vacuuming for weeks at a time (!!) due to my distaste for lugging that thing around. But I actually just bought a lightweight Eureka Upright vacuum (11 lbs) figuring that it would do a better, more thorough job than the Roomba.

But I'm very very tempted to get the scooba. That might next for me too. Let us know how that works out for you.
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

ABW Ambassador AffiliateSummitMissy's Avatar
    I love my Roomba and have had great experiences with it. However, when I recommended it to Shawn, his experience was not quite the same.

Granted, I do not have a stitch of carpeting in my house, so it picks up all the dog hair and dust bunnies really well.

Not sure how it does on carpets though.

I've had my heart set on getting the Scooba, so if anyone has any feedback on that, let me know.

Now all I need is a robot that can cook dinner while I'm still working
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com
    Co-Publisher of Revenews.com and Revenews.org
    Founder of AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com Personal Blog: MissyWard.com

I had good luck with mine until my two labs came to live with me. They bring in sticks and turn them into toothpicks, and shred toys and scatter the shreds. All that is too much for the roomba to deal with.

I've gone to a shop-vac to get up all the dog-generated remnants.

Mine is one of the very first. I think they've made the dirt container bigger since then. I had to empty it more often than I'd have liked. And the brushes kept tangling themselves in hairs and threads. But most houses probably don't have that many hairs and threads in the carpet.

My dogs soon learned to ignore it, and get up and out of its way if it headed for them.

It's a gimmick, but it does work.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

I was thinking about buying one a few months ago - but I read a review on Amazon.com from a guy who had a dog that had an accident on the rug and the Roomba ran over it and spread it around his house. Since I have a cat that throws up (on occasion) - I decided not to take the chance.

Outsourced Program Manager
    I LOVE my Roomba.

Scooba - not so much.

I ran their banner (performics) on a site for a bit....just checked its performance. 4295 Impressions - 5 Click Thrus = ZERO....no surprises there. Used to seeing the big "$0"

I wish iRobot could have paid me for every time I actually DID make a sale though by recommending it to so many people. Hmmmm theres an idea.....

Great info. Thank you all very much!

How is it with area rugs? Does it get caught in the fringe or hung up under the rug instead of going on top of it?

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    How is it with area rugs? Does it get caught in the fringe or hung up under the rug instead of going on top of it?
    It is fine, but fringe is an issue on areas rugs and elsewhere. It wil get hung up on fringe that is more than about an inch long.
    It is OK on carpet. Most of our house in hardwood floors and it is great on them.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Most of our house in hardwood floors and it is great on them.
    My apartment has hardwood floors, maybe I'll consider it.
    What about knocking into furniture though?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Fringed carpets....yes, it can jam it, but it does no harm...it just senses it and shuts itself off and beeps at you to tell you to get off your lazy butt and fix it.

Furniture...never an issue. the plastic bumper is non-marking and very sensitive so when it does run into it it just kindly walks around it.

One cool thing is watching it at the top of stairs. It acts like its going over but somehow knows to just back up.

Does it replace the vac? No way. But everytime you empty it out you are amazed at the amount of stuff it just picked up.

Speaking of vacs...I LOVE MY DYSON!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Now I want to buy one.

Yeah, Rhea you should get one! LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    What about knocking into furniture though?
    It has a sensor on the front of it. When it bumps in to something it backs up and goes around it. It also has a rotating sweeper on one side that does a decent job along the baseboards. It will follow right next to a baseboard very well.

Sounds neat, never considered one until I read this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE
    I ran their banner (performics) on a site for a bit....just checked its performance. 4295 Impressions - 5 Click Thrus = ZERO....no surprises there. Used to seeing the big "$0"
    5 clicks is hardly enough to make any judgments.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    5 clicks is hardly enough to make any judgments.
    Right, and especially with such untargeted traffic (evidenced by the 0.1% CTR). On a good review page (such as this thread), it should convert fairly good.

How about it, Haiko? How about putting an Amazon.com (or the affiliate program of your choice) Roomba link up on this thread and let us know how well it converts?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I love my roomba, picked it up for $139. I just saw some on clearance at Lowes for $150. As long as you clean it every few uses (beyond just emptying the tray) it's easy to maintain.

My aunt and uncle have one and they love it!

They call her Maria and have even brought her to my house. I was actually embarrassed when they ran it on my living room carpet to see how much dirt it picked up -- and I had JUST vacuumed! In my defense, it did go under the furniture which is a place I seldom go. I would like to have one myself but they are a little expensive.

Well if we do buy one I have a name for it. It'll be called Estelle, in honor of my longtime, imaginary housekeeper and best invisible friend.

Yeah, I need a life, but until that happens maybe I'll just settle for a Roomba.

one-two-cha-cha-cha

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast