Shell Oil Company released a warning not to let your cell phone ring while filling up your vehicle with gasoline.

Seems some very bad accidents with tragic results
    when the ringer provides enough of a spark to ignite any fumes that may be present.

Leave your cell phone in your vehicle, or turn it off until you leave the service station.

Frank

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

From one Frank to another... Thanks! I'll leave it in the car from now. Bursting into flames doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy too terribly much

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by frank3iii:
    Seems some very bad accidents with tragic results
    when the ringer provides enough of a spark to ignite any fumes that may be present.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Wow, and my old arguments against falling into the cell phone trap were getting stale, a new fact to support my unwireless self-indulgence

I think this story is just an urban legend. It's all just a hoax.

Here's a link to a story about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by frank3iii:
    Shell Oil Company released a warning not to let your cell phone ring while filling up your vehicle with gasoline.

Seems some very bad accidents with tragic results when the ringer provides enough of a spark to ignite any fumes that may be present.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Applesauce! The reason they want the phones off has NOTHING to do with the ringer or any sparks! ... Think auth code and capturing the signal.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    Applesauce!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love it when Haiko says that.

But seriously, static can be a real problem at the pump. I've seen video of it on TV, and it's a real problem. Whether a cell phone could set it off, I'm not sure, but I know that excessive static can.

Michael

I think the story may be true. There is a picture of a van at one of our local gas stations where this very thing happened.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

There's way more static from your b*tt sliding across your fabric seat getting into and out of your car than from any cell phone.

gotapex is right. In the same note the NTSB was mentioned. Seems like they are trying to get folks not to enter the vechile before fueling is commpleted.

I looked for a news snippet on this. No luck. I think the company got it by fax from one of our overseas reps. If I can find it on whe web, I'll post a link.

Frank

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Sgt. Joe here. Seems like sometimes the 'facts' just don't match up with reality.

Haiko is closest to right. Applesauce! And I can add Horsefeathers.

Here is a note I copied from the Shell website:

Begin note==========================

Safety message on use of mobile phones at retail stations

Health, Safety and Environment Messages

Battery powered equipment such as mobile phones, pagers, and cameras represent a potential ignition source.

Shell takes the safety of its customers and retail staff very seriously. For this reason, although the risk associated with mobile phone use at retail sites is very low, Shell was the first in the oil industry in Malaysia to put up notices at pump islands to request motorists to switch OFF their mobile phones when refuelling at the station.

There is a sticker to this effect at every pump island and it also advises customers to switch OFF your car engine and to refrain from smoking for similar reasons.

We understand that there is an email, purportedly official Shell communication, circulating which describes various incidents that are supposed to have occured as a result of mobile phones ringing while at a retail station.

Please be advised that the email in question does NOT originate from Shell Malaysia and we are unable to confirm any of the incidents quoted.

Should you have any further enquiries on this subject, please email (removed)

End note====================

Sorry folks.

The coughing and gagging sounds you hear are me trying to swallow the crow.

Frank

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

All UK petrol stations forbid the use of mobile phones, and many phone manufacturers recommend that they're switched off altogether.

The problem, as far as I understand, is not static or the battery, but the transmitter interfering with the pumping equipment.

Ever heard what a mobile phone does when it's just about to ring when it's near a set of speakers or an analogue phone? You can hear the transmitter starting up and it interferes with the unshielded equipment. The concern of petrol stations is that the transmitter could crash the pump electronics during fuelling and flood the area with petrol. I think this is a pretty small possibility, and probably less likely on newer pumps which would/should be shielded more.. but if it does happen, you've got a potentially catastrophic problem.

Incidentally, the UK's Civil Aviation Authority posted this report last month to say that mobile phones still present a real risk to aircraft electronics. It's wouldn't take a huge stretch of imagination to apply some of these problems to your local gas station.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

ABW Ambassador
    I think they should worry, first, about their idiot attendants smoking cigarettes near the pumps, or anywhere on the property for that matter!

FreeCallz.com

I have not seen the report from Shell, or how many accidents may have happened.

However, there are some things that everyone should be aware of, that I am familiar with. One of the things I still do is sell two-way radio equipment to the Military and public safety agencies. We specifically have models of radios and the batteries that go with them called "Intrinsically Safe" These are specially modified to be "Explosion-proof." No, that doesn't mean they're not going to explode, that means that they will not cause a "Combustible atmosphere to ignite." That's where the cell phone at the gas station comes in. Your cell and PCS phones are NOT intrinsically safe.

Here are some other minor details. The two-way radios used have transmitters between 1 and 6 watts, while your mobile phone has a transmitter down around 100 mw, or 1/10th of a watt. Older hand-helds have transmitter levels up to 1.2 watts. So you are a little safer with cell phones, than two-way radios.

Did you know, your cell-phone transmits all the time even when a call is not in progress? The phone is busy reporting back to the cell-site different parameters about the way your phone is operating. So don't think it's no big deal because you aren't in the middle of a call.

One of the most dangerous times is when the phone is drawing more current from the battery. There is more of a chance of a poor connection at the battery terminals and a spark when the unit is drawing more power.

Sorry to get carried away. I'll bet the chances are nil, that you are in danger, but it is very plausible that it could happen.

Fred

"Yo momma's glasses are so thick she can see into the future."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Did you know, your cell-phone transmits all the time even when a call is not in progress? The phone is busy reporting back to the cell-site different parameters about the way your phone is operating. So don't think it's no big deal because you aren't in the middle of a call.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can hear this using the "speaker" test too, there'll be a burst of activity every so often.

For the paranoid amongst you, this means that the network can trace you from cell to cell.. and these cells are actually very small in urban areas.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

I also read that you are not supposed to get back into your car while fueling. Apparently you could build up static electricity which would ignite the fumes when you returned to the pump.

I thought it was bogus but then I noticed a little sticker on the gas pump at an ARCO station recently that indicated the exact same notice.

I'm gonna say all of the above. For anyone who doesn't think a cell phone will ignite fumes, I am daring you to stand within a foot of the nozzle while pumping gas. When you can see and smell the fumes. Pick up your phone and start dialing. If you make it through, have your friend call you back immediately. This is only for those that don't believe. Let me know how it went. Oh, and don't forget to answer.

Some phones are powerful enough to cause damage to all elelctronics within a half-mile radius. Nextels are like that. if mine is sitting within 4 feet of my computer screen when it starts ringing, my screen gets all messed up.

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread