Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What is your favorite musical?
    OK, I admit. About 3 ( maybe 4 or 5 or 6 ) times a year I get in this mood to go sing all my favorite show tunes!

I just spent the last 2 hours going through YouTube finding my favorite songs from my favorite musicals. The dogs were hounding.....wife and kids were shouting KEEP IT DOWN IN THERE.......but OH MY GOSH!!!! Did I just have SOOOOOOO much fun singing all my favorite songs!

Anyone care to share what they think is the BEST musical of all time? You tell me yours and I will tell you mine (after 20 responses)

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    My all time favorite is Phantom Of The Opera. I've had the pleasure of seeing it at the Wang Center in Boston (3 times), The Chandler in L.A., and Three times at the Performing arts center in Denver!

I know every word to every song in the play and have listened to the complete soundtrack maybe 150 times over the past 15 years!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Tough call. At the mood that I am in right now, I would have to say Into the Woods.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

ABW Ambassador
    Don't normally like musicals, have never seen one on the big stage but 2 come to mind, movie musicals (I know they have it on stage too) from when I was a little kid, Grease and West Side Story (this one was actually released many years before I was born).

Wait are these considered musicals? Wizard Of Oz, Blues Brothers? If so, those too.

A Chorus Line....I haven't watched it in years

Phantom, Cats and Pirates of Penzance.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

The best musical... hm... well, I'll go with the one I don't have to watch.

Okay, okay - I'll admit to digging the Rocky Horror Picture Show, but that's as close as I get to enjoying a musical
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I really enjoyed Andrew LLoyd Webber's Sunset Blvd, but Phantom was great too. I just felt the story for Sunset was a bit more interesting than Phantom. Both have equally great music though.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

musicals
    ah... i did not even think of phantom as a musical... i thought it was more like an opera! what a surprise question.

In the musical territory... I love all the really old classics with gene kelly and frank sinatra and danny kaye... though some were not as good as others they set the stage(pardon the pun) for some of the future films.

the sound of music was most formative in my life. It practically told the story of my father's family and their escape from Nazi Germany. No music in the family story though.
    Last edited by greenehawke; February 8th, 2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: skipped a line and forgot a title

I've seen many musicals -- when I was younger relatives used to take me to Broadway shows often.
    My Grandmother took me to see Annie when Andrea McCardle starred in the role on Broadway.
    I've seen Cats multiple times (I have multiple cousins, plus there was usually an annual school trip, so sometimes I'd see the same show -- always glad to see a show)

I've seen: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat; The Rocky Horror Picture Show (on Broadway with Joan Jett as Columbia); Sweeney Todd; ShowBoat (with Forest Tucker, remember the t.v. show F-Troop?); Les Miserables; The Phantom of the Opera; Chorus Line; Chicago; Mame; The King and I (with Yul Brynner); 42nd Street; The Producers; La Cage Aux Folles; The list goes on [I "grew up" on Broadway]

I've seen South Pacific but not on Broadway -- that show has lots of good songs. Oklahoma! has many good songs -- saw it off Broadway
    Kiss Me Kate off Broadway

I think my all time favorite is Jesus Christ Superstar [I saw it in CT. with Ted Neeley] -- at least that's the CD [original cast CD with Ian Gillian] I listen to the most

I love Gilbert & Sullivan but I consider their shows to be "light opera" as opposed to "Broadway Musical"
    I've seen The H.M.S. Pinafore, The Pirates of Penance, and The Mikado.

Another light opera I like is The Merry Widow.
    Last edited by Rhia7; February 8th, 2008 at 11:40 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE
    I just spent the last 2 hours going through YouTube finding my favorite songs from my favorite musicals.
    You & I have a hobby in common

I just saw "Brush Up Your Shakespeare" from Kiss Me Kate on YouTube

20 responses? Asking some people about musicals is like asking me about football
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Man of La Mancha, original Broadway cast.
    Generate more fake news.

Les Miserables. I have the complete soundtrack which I've listened to tens of dozens of times.

As far as movies go, I looooooove Danny Kaye, one of my faves being Court Jester. Corny, yes, but enjoyable.

Nightmare Before Christmas is a fave of mine too.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Man of La Mancha, original Broadway cast.
    Richard Kiley was sensational creating the role of Don Quixote.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    ...As far as movies go, I looooooove Danny Kaye, one of my faves being Court Jester. Corny, yes, but enjoyable.
    One of the greatest, funniest scenes ever in a movie: The vessel with the pestle or the chalise from the palace?

In years past, I attended a lot of stage productions (plays and musicals), and by far the greatest live performance I ever saw was the fabulous Zero Mostel as Tevye in Fidler on the Roof.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I've seen a lot of musicals on Broadway, mostly when I was a kid and it wasn't so outrageously priced, and of course my parents were paying, so...

Well in any case, my favorite would have to be "Ain't Misbehavin'" with Nell Carter. That woman could knock down walls with her voice.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    I don't normally watch musicals, although there are exceptions: "Paint Your Wagon" (Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood) and "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum" (Zero Mostel, Phil Silvers, etc.) have not been mentioned yet.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Richard Kiley was sensational creating the role of Don Quixote.

One of the greatest, funniest scenes ever in a movie: The vessel with the pestle or the chalise from the palace?
    But they BROKE the chalice from the palace! The pellet with the poison is in the flagon with the dragon. The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true. What really makes me laugh in that scene is the magnetized armor. Too funny.

Best. Swordfighting. Scene. Ever. Wish I could find it on YouTube to share. I imagine that's quite like how I would swordfight. (The insane flailing about, not the calm and cool precision blade handling. LOL.)

I love Fiddler too. I haven't seen it in a long while, but I saw the movie many, many times and somewhere I still have the soundtrack on vinyl.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

But they BROKE the chalice from the palace! The pellet with the poison is in the flagon with the dragon. The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true. What really makes me laugh in that scene is the magnetized armor. Too funny.

Best. Swordfighting. Scene. Ever. Wish I could find it on YouTube to share. I imagine that's quite like how I would swordfight. (The insane flailing about, not the calm and cool precision blade handling. LOL.)

I love Fiddler too. I haven't seen it in a long while, but I saw the movie many, many times and somewhere I still have the soundtrack on vinyl.
    Danny Kaye was a trrmendous talent, and one of my all time favorite performers. I loved his variety show on CBS, where he, Carol Burnett and Harvey Korman did some of the funniest sketch comedy ever.

As to Fiddler, the movie was great, but Topol was not in the same league as Zero Mostel, or even some of the others who played Tevye on stage, such as Theodore Bikel.

One last word about the Man of La Mancha - I had taken a class on Cervantes at UCLA, taught by one of the great stars of the UCLA facultly, Prof. Walter Starkie, who had written the definitive translation of Don Quixote. After reading the almost 2000 page book, and hearing Prof. Starkie's insights and anecdotes, I loved the book and story, and a few years later, the musical version as well.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    I've seen a lot of musicals on Broadway, mostly when I was a kid and it wasn't so outrageously priced, and of course my parents were paying, so...

Well in any case, my favorite would have to be "Ain't Misbehavin'" with Nell Carter. That woman could knock down walls with her voice.
    She was absolutely amazing. She sure could belt 'em out.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Danny Kaye was a trrmendous talent, and one of my all time favorite performers. I loved his variety show on CBS, where he, Carol Burnett and Harvey Korman did some of the funniest sketch comedy ever.

As to Fiddler, the movie was great, but Topol was not in the same league as Zero Mostel, or even some of the others who played Tevye on stage, such as Theodore Bikel.

One last word about the Man of La Mancha - I had taken a class on Cervantes at UCLA, taught by one of the great stars of the UCLA facultly, Prof. Walter Starkie, who had written the definitive translation of Don Quixote. After reading the almost 2000 page book, and hearing Prof. Starkie's insights and anecdotes, I loved the book and story, and a few years later, the musical version as well.
    Danny was master of doublespeak, a dying artform (in the theatrical/linguistic sense, not the political sense. Ha!). He was an amazing performer.

As for Don Quijote, I've read the untranslated version for classes before (back when I was nearly fluent... I've lost a lot without keeping in practice). However, I've never seen Man of La Mancha. I've always loved the story though and I've heard a few songs from the musical. Perhaps I shall put it on my list of things to watch.

As for Don Quijote, I've read the untranslated version for classes before...
    That's impressive, especially to me. Foreign languages were my downfall in school. I screwed up almost every language possible in HS and college, barely getting through the requirements.

Too many good ones to narrow it to one.

I'd probably have to start sorting them out with "Bye Bye Birdie" (Ann Margaret, Dick
    Van Dyke, more) - "Damn Yankees" (Tab Hunter, more) - "West Side Story" - and
    "King Creole" and "Jailhouse Rock" with Elvis.

Who knows, maybe Johnny Depp's new musical will become a classic ??

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Wow - you guys are OLD! LOL

OK, I loved West Side Story, too, so I'm as close to ancient as you all. Maybe WWS is my favorite musical. I love music and film but music and stage doesn't swing my skirt too much unless there's some serious dancing going on, too.

Phantom is wonderful - only saw the (latest) film, though and Sound of Music is sweet and holds many memories. I didn't like Chicago (movie) at all and can't think of any other musical to mention.

So now, Iownie has to tell us his favorite since there have been more than 20 replies.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I must be sick since I can't bear to sit through musicals. They have beautiful sound tracks lots of time, but the idea of bursting into song or dancing in the streets has never worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Wow - you guys are OLD! LOL
    What if we saw the revivals of the musicals?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast