Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Read Zip File
    I would like to read a zip file using php. The zip file actually contains a list of text files. I tried using the zip_open() function, but it appears that hostGator does not have it installed. Any other ideas?

Have you contacted support at hostgator requesting they implement it. The only other suggestion would be to change hosts.

I run a small batch script using SSH on to my HostGator site - part of the batch script runs Unzip which is implemented in their Linux implementation

Another (slightly messy way) is to shell out of your script - run Linux unzip and then return to your php script

<?php
    $output = shell_exec('ls -lart');
    echo "<pre>$output</pre>";
    ?>
    substituting unzip xxx for ls -lart

A sample from php.net

Charles

Hey Seymour,

I have an account with Hostgator and I use gzopen() for zipped files. However, these are zipped data feeds. I don't see why it wouldn't work for your list of text files.

Hope this helps.

I wonder why hosting outfits (like HostGator) continue to use now obsolete software rather than updating ie: they use php4 which is no longer supported rather than installing php5xx. Is it that much trouble to update? So far I've not hit any compatibility problem with my scripts - knock on head - but I feel it coming

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by micheck
    I wonder why hosting outfits (like HostGator) continue to use now obsolete software rather than updating ie: they use php4 which is no longer supported rather than installing php5xx.
    All Host Gator shared servers run PHP 5 & 4 concurrently. It's just a matter of modding your .htaccess file. If you have a dedicated server with them, put in a help ticket, and they'll switch you over. Search their support forum for more info on the subject.

And as bettylou stated, you can indeed use the zlib extension of php to handle zipped files of any type. http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.zlib.php Your php instance must be configured to use zlib though. Your webhost can usually add this extension (or any other for that matter) for you, if it is not already configured.

phpinfo(); will let you know what extensions are enabled in your php environment.

I use this to unzip files on my Hostgator account:
    exec("unzip -o filename.zip");
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread