Backup vs Disaster Planning
    I am considering how I should document my AM efforts, so if I die, the revenue will continue to flow to the family. (at least for a short time)

I have worked on corporate DRPs, and can write it all down, but with the weekly/daily/hourly changes and the significance some of the 'minor' changes make, how do I keep the DRP current?

I have considered creating an AM portal, but with everything else, don't have the time.

Any suggestions?

John
    Respectfully,

John

----------------------------------------------
    work = Initiate Demand
    passion = Global Ground Work

I've done DRP for Hertz Rent-a-Car so here is some advice...

Have you done a walkthough with the person that would succeed you to show them the business and the nuances? That is the absolute best thing you can do. Even test them out occasionally by 'not working' for a day and see how they handle it. That will also show you some gaps in your DRP documentation that need to be enhanced.

Some other suggestions...

1. I'd make sure to separate yourself from the business. Put nothing (emails, etc) in your name. Put it all into the company's name. If you don't have a company form one ASAP. Kruger Marketing krugermarketing.com is taken, but krugermark and krugermkt are available.

2. Your DRP should only need to be updated once a month or so. Trying to keep up on it more than that will drive you batty. The stuff that changes daily or weekly should be documented in general terms.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Spreadsheets. Lots and lots of them with passwords, logins, account IDs, phone numbers, names, URLs, etc. Hubby knows what my web sites are and he would probably be reasonably comfortable taking them over should I die, but we fully expect there would be a considerable learning curve for him which I can't prepare him for. I figure he'll have about a year to get the hang of it before entropy trashes the income from the sites. He doesn't need to know how to run my sites from A-to-Z now and the effort it would take from both of us to teach him "everything" would be a huge waste of our time. As you pointed out, things change constantly.

So I make sure he knows where the spreadsheets are that will be his keys to the kingdom should I predecease him and we talk about what's happening with my sites, merchants, affiliate managers, etc. at dinner so he has something of an overview of who I work with and why, what I'm selling, etc. There's no way I can spare him most of the pain of learning affiliate marketing. If he wants it badly enough I'm confident he'll figure it out.

I agree on the spread sheets and I agree on the walk them through - I also have a bunch of txt files that sort of explain the concepts

I also have built some tough batch files that consistently download the current data and run the update scripts (VB programs in my case) and ftp them to servers that are paid up for a few years. Those servers run CronJobs that unpack my files and put them where I want them - not bullet proof but pretty good. So for a short time (6+mos) my wife can hit the update icon on my computer and it probably will do it for her. Hopefully - the txt files and suggestions will cover the future

Charles

Don't neglect to consider a high value term life insurance policy if you feel that what you do would be hard to replicate long term.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Why?
    Why would you want your loved ones to have to take over the business? Why not invest $20-$30 a month and get $1 million in term life insurance. That way, your loved ones can grieve while sitting on the beach in Fiji instead of grieving in front of a computer at home..

While life insurance is a good general idea and we do have some, my age and recent health history tend to make it somewhat expensive. Think of robot controlled AM as an annuity add-on program...

I canceled my life insurance. All of my passwords, logins and bank accounts are totally secret and hidden. When I die I want it to be a truly sad day for everyone.

Seriously, though. I do have things in place. There is term life insurance that I will keep for a few more years. The business can be self sustaining for several months to a year. The business bank accounts are separate from "family/household" accounts, but Mrs. Beachy is co-owner on the business accounts.

Our daughter has worked for me for the last two summers and part-time during the school year - so she has access to logins and passwords. Between her and a trusted colleague, the business can be kept running and actually grow - to provide continuing income for my wife and for whomever (hopefully our daughter) would like to keep it running. My actual goal is to "lure" our daughter away from the school system (she loves teaching kindergarten) by demonstrating to her the ability to work from home and greatly increase her income. Our son lives across the country, but would also be welcome to participate if he develops an interest in affiliate marketing.

These are also things that we have discussed. I believe it is important for family to understand what to do - just in case...'cause ya never know...what tomorrow will bring...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    John - thanks for asking this question. I have term life insurance in place, but I really want to work on a DRP (it's just a matter of finding the time).

Yes, my loved ones can take time off with the life insurance $$, but they can also be supported by a business that was built by a lot of hard work. This is something I really want to address.

Life Insurance - in place for many years

Spreadsheets and Docs - fairly organized, rarely updated (I would like to find a good solution to manual updating)

I don't really expect my wife to pick up the AFF thing, but there is a great deal of value in what I work on and I would at least expect she could derive some of that value.

At the end of my documents I will place this last line:

visit www.abestweb.com, login, and post a topic that I have met some horrific death and you need help. You have used the search, but not found what you were looking for. "
    John
    Respectfully,

John

----------------------------------------------
    work = Initiate Demand
    passion = Global Ground Work

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread