Is anyone getting ready for christmas yet or still too early?

I know it's only June but if it takes google up to 4 months to get a site indexed that would put you right in the middle of the christmas shopping season.

ABW Ambassador
    I was getting ready for this upcoming Christmas in January

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Holy Cow, Batman... we've been getting ready for Christmas since January 2, too!

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> that would put you right in the middle of the christmas shopping season<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since when was October the middle of the Christmas shopping season?

Granted, a lot of people don't wait until Dec. 24th but still...October's HALLOWEEN!

(PS Heck no I'm not putting up any Christmas stuff yet! That fluffy white sheet associated with winter just *melted*! If Google's not fixed by then there's always Inktomi. Heck, even the shoppers don't know what the Next Hot Item they'll want then will be...)

~Revenue is King

Just started getting ready at the beginning of this month.

------------------------
    Webmaster Resources

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Since when was October the middle of the Christmas shopping season? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go visit some stores in October

Yeah if you're not ready by mid october you're missing out on a lot of holiday shoppers. Do you plan to target specific holiday like terms or just have your products ready as usual. I wouldn't put Santa Claus on my sites just yet but I was figuring on targeting some holiday terms this year and getting started now seems the only way to go.

"I liked it when we all had quotes as sigs" Author Unknown

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by midnightcoder:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Since when was October the middle of the Christmas shopping season? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go visit some stores in October<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I know that's the middle of the "Retailers are WISHING Season"...but as for anybody actually shopping, that's another thing. Most of the stuff I see displayed then just sits unless it's something the people expect to be hard to get later.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Do you plan to target specific holiday like terms or just have your products ready as usual. ~Heyder<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually just have my products ready, and do some SEO to regain ranks that have slipped during the off-season. There is one thing I'll probably promote as a holiday item, but even *finding* a merchant for it now would be a toughie (at least if it's as hard as it was trying to find a different holiday item last year--all the merchants I checked didn't even *have* any until November!). As a standard, though, I just tweak the gifty stuff for better optimization and roll with it.

Until this last "thing" Google did in May, it's taken only 2 months (instead of 4) to get my changes/new stuff listed, so that's the timeline I go by. Pages that go up just before the Sept. spider hit in late Oct./early Nov--just in time to catch the peak buying (which I have found to be in *November*). The early birds can go ahead and have the worms as long as my pages are up in time for the good food.

Of course, if I see that Google is going to keep up with the new, slower-than-molasses method, that'll cause some quicker typing than I intend on.

~Revenue is King

I would really like to encourage some merchants to step up to the plate this year in time for christmas with their hot products rather than wait till dec 15th like most did last year.

"I liked it when we all had quotes as sigs" Author Unknown

ABW Ambassador
    Thinking about Halloween, anyone know of a good merchant now that spencer Gifts has deactivated at LS?

Does anyone know which products you think may be the most popular for Christmas? maybe just give me the catagory (like entertainment) computers, etc?

your 401 k will be a 0 k or less- affiliate marketing is the only solution, fight it forever.. make pages, make pages!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jasonco12:
    Does anyone know which products you think may be the most popular for Christmas? maybe just give me the catagory (like entertainment) computers, etc?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say "gifts"

The way google's been acting, we may already be too late for Christmas 2003 :P

ABW Ambassador
    I have started to see an increase in Christmas related search terms already. People are looking for decorations and artificial trees in June!

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

I think it's too early to be doing anything other than basic layout and design for Holiday pages. You don't really know what the hot trends are, what your merchants are going to be pushing, etc.

I plan on having my pages done and published in time for the October SE updates, which gives me several months yet.

Andy

"If you were born to be shot, you'll never be hung." -Unknown

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread