Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i am having a dillema here.

what constitutes a good signature and what is bad?

on my short time here in abestweb, i am seeing a few signatures that some of the members feel quite offensive and make sarcastic remarks. .i understand that having your url on your signature is an additional promotion for your site. heck for sure this forum will be crawled by a lot of search engine spiders. that alone is enough reason to post your URL on your signature. but then again, i am seeing the EXPLOITATION of sorts...i do not know..

is there a ruling on what signature on what a signature should be? limitations ? guidelines?

well for sure serious affiliate marketers do not take the exploiters seriously and would oftentimes simply ignore them or something. but then again what constitutes a good signature?

thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Business is Business & a Link is a Link.

I'm not sure how deep spiders get into this forum but from the way most of the forum links are constructed, I'd guess at not very far.

Pete

-------------------------------------
    Pete earned over $63.25 at some point in the previous 36 months. Find out how in his comprehensive 5 paragraph report. As a special bonus, learn the secrets of top internet markers in a bonus 3 paragraphs. THAT'S OVER 97 WORDS FREE!!

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    Pete,
    $63.25 - is that US or AUS?

Woz

ABW Ambassador
    I think what people take offense at is blatant selling of an affiliate product using hyped up hype.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    I think as Pete points out (I have been wanting to mention how much I love your new sig), some people choose to post "me too" posts where their giant sig outweighs the length of their post, as if they are posting just to post their ad.

Chet

I liked it when we all had quotes as sigs I don't mind an affiliate or site link in the sig as long as the posts aren't exclusively the "me too" ones like Chet said. If enough complaints come in about a member I can easily remove the sig and lock the profile so that they won't just reword the same spam.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If enough complaints come in about a member I can easily remove the sig and lock the profile so that they won't just reword the same spam.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Too late for that, the latest affiliate Ebook spam was not removed, it was just reworded. I think all affiliate link spam should be removed. The only acceptable sigs are those in the fashion of Frank and Connies,

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

I agree with JJJAY

ABW Ambassador
    I think that communication with Haiko, who runs the forum, is to be made in these matters. One, out of respect, and two, to maintain the integrity of the forum.

If my sig, being one that does promote what will be a paid service to the likes of those who would frequent this forum, offends anyone I would be more than happy to remove it. I got a little excited with this latest idea of mine. I just hope that it will succeed. My sig was not so much of an attempt to spam, as it was to promote. I aint selling nothing, yet. I have received a lot of good feedback from people, concerning my new site, and have even implemented some of their ideas. I have also received some serious inquiries from people who might want to utilize my services if I ever get my business up and running.

The one big highlight for me is the encouragement I get from the members of this forum. I appreciate Haiko, and would not want to cause a stink [Big Chuck puts on his Steve Erckel hat and says, "did I do that?"]. lol. anyhoo, if my sig is offensive I would be glad to remove it.

Big Chuck
    www.bigchuck.com
    **Web Consultants**
    Stay Tuned For Something BIG

Yeah it's definately you Chuck lol

"I liked it when we all had quotes as sigs" Author Unknown

ABW Ambassador

Big Chuck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JJJay:
    I think all affiliate link spam should be removed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree also - A.O. 6/15/03 Affiliate Links in a sig will not be allowed, I'll update the rules accordingly.

Thank you all.

</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    In all fairness, if I owned a forum, especially one like ABW, I would charge for sigs with urls, and then extra by line.

I imagine quite a number of people, even on other forums, do exploit the opportunity to promote their services/site, even under the pretense of being actively involved. Of course we wouldn't know anyone who has done that here.

Big Chuck

Chuckmeister ... yours is ok.

</font></p>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    I think as Pete points out (I have been wanting to mention how much I love your new sig), some people choose to post "me too" posts where their giant sig outweighs the length of their post, as if they are posting just to post their ad.

Chet<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes i am seeing a lot of this kind.
    for sure many of us would know an abuser from the other.

thanks

[This message was edited by prix on June 15, 2003 at 12:12 AM.]

in all fairness, i do not take offence in seeing say one line of URL from anyone posting but that there seems to be a loophole for some people who can easily exploit it and have free advertisement,

sigs such as:

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

Big Chuck
    www.bigchuck.com
    **Web Consultants**
    Stay Tuned For Something BIG

is perfectly fine with me

we know whos spamming and whos not.

thanks for all the support.
    thanks guys.and Mr Haiko.

*glad to be an instrument.. for a better abestweb experience!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    I liked it when we all had quotes as sigs I don't mind an affiliate or site link in the sig as long as the posts aren't exclusively the "me too" ones like Chet said. If enough complaints come in about a member I can easily remove the sig and lock the profile so that they won't just reword the same spam.

&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana"&gt;Haiko_

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli_&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/p&gt;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I think we should all have quotes for sigs...

Therefore, I changed mine today.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.
    --Henry Ford

Personally, I believe sig lines are just a waste of bandwidth.

But, the ones that bother me are the posters who seem like their only purpose to post anything is to get their spams out in every topic, like that OSKARS guy.

Other than that, I know what to ignore. Hell, we've all become spam experts with all the junk we receive everyday.

ABW Ambassador
    It would also be nice if people would make the sig line in a way that you can tell it's not part of the post.. it get's really confusing some times

-------------
    build, build, build, build...

I have to ask one thing. How is a sig line with an affiliate link offensive? Really? I don't do it cause I think it is cheesey. Nothing more. But offensive?

If you ban one affiliate link, you should in all fairness ban them all.

This may be a silly analogy, but in the old days when the warriors (now known as affiliate marketers) from opposing tribes would meet, they would in good faith leave their weapons at the door.

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This may be a silly analogy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with steveinid that was a silly analogy.

I don't see anything wrong with listing your site URL in your signature, but I think some people will take advantage if affiliate links are allowed.

Unfortunately, this is another case of a few who don't understand there should be limits spoiling it for everyone else.

Andy

---------------
    "If you were born to be shot, you'll never be hung." -Unknown

ABW Ambassador
    "It would also be nice if people would make the sig line in a way that you can tell it's not part of the post"

Thats funny, one time i had a quote "Refuse To Lose" Chuck D and some people thought my name is Chuck and now with my current sig, they think my name is Wayne.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

The biggest problem with the world today is all this fairness crap where we need to have defined rules for everyone to follow.

Rather than making another rule why not just take the one idiot and tell him to remove his sig. If he argues about rules tell him life isn't fair go cry to your mamma.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    Rather than making another rule why not just take the one idiot and tell him to remove his sig.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

... cuz it will come up again and since he wasn't "breaking the rules" there really wasn't a way to say edit it ... now there will be.

</font></p>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast