A Few Newbie Questions
    I have a few sites in joomla and I want to start with cj program.

1 is it possible to integrate cj in joomla site
    2 do i must use some special extension(virtual mart)or simple copy php code into site
    3 which cms is the best to integrate with cj

Welcome tropoli. I use Joomla on a couple of my sites and love it. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1 is it possible to integrate cj in joomla site?
    Absolutely. You paste banner code or product codes into Joomla content items using Joomla's default editor the same as you would any editor. Just remember to use HTML and not javascript links. If you have to use the javascript links then you will need to turn off the WYSIWYG editor or disable code checking in order for it to work. You can also use Joomla's banner manager or download a banner extension to get better control over how banners are displayed. There is also a free extension that will allow you to integrate CJ's smartzones.

2 do i must use some special extension(virtual mart)or simple copy PHP code into site?
    No. For standard links nothing special is needed. You would typically use VirtualMart if you needed the shopping cart functionality which typically isn't the case for an affiliate site. You could use the catalog functionality in Virtual Mart to integrate product links or data feeds, but you'd be adding a level of complexity that really isn't needed.

If you intend to use PHP in content items you will need to use an extension like Jumi or RunPHP. If you need to run PHP in a module than Joomla Mod PHP works great.

3 which cms is the best to integrate with cj?
    The only CMS that I have experience with is Joomla, and as I stated earlier, I love it. There is somewhat of a learning curve but once you get the general idea you'll find that adding and updating content, individual product links or data feeds is fast and easy to automate. I strongly recommend that you visit http://extensions.joomla.org/, you'll find hundreds of mostly free extensions to help you get the job done, including the extensions that I mentioned previously. If you perform a search for Commission Junction you'll find several CJ specific extensions including one that will automate downloading, formatting and inserting CJ datafeeds (not a free extension).

Good luck and be patient. Joomla isn't for the faint of heart.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Welcome to the board tropoli!
    Sounds like you are in one of those far away exotic countries...

I don't think any CMS is more CJ friendly. Most require careful design to get the result you really want.

I personally like Drupal but I'm not sure it is appropriate for someone with no PHP knowledge unless you are ready to hire one of the many consultants to customize it.

I good test might be to set yourself a small goal (30 minutes?). Pick 2 or 3 CMS systems and see which one was the easier for you to work with.

thanks delsol and rematt

first I want to ask rematt which CJ specific extensions you will recommend me to use on my site ,say few

Delsol very exotic country

I use drupal on one my site and drupal is best cms on my opinion but is very complicated to customise to look how I want?

What do you think about pop shops and bans

thanks

Tropoli, I really haven't needed any of the CJ specific extensions and you probably won't either. CJ doesn't really have any more challenges in Joomla than any other network. I did mention an extension for utilizing CJ smartzones, however there are other extensions that aren't CJ or smartzone specific that provide much more flexibility. The CJ Catalog Builder (there is a version available for SaS too) automates the creation of CJ product catalogs through CJ's API.

Without knowing how you intend to integrate CJ products on your site it's difficult to make specific recommendations. I actually would recommend against using extensions that are specific to one network unless there is nothing else to get the job done. You'll find in most cases that the core Joomla modules will get the job done and when they don't there are thousands of 3rd party extensions to choose from.

I'd strongly recommend that you follow the link that I provided earlier and take a stroll through the different sections. You'll get a better idea of what's available and it may give you some new ideas on how to structure your site or ways to add some eye candy.

Good Luck!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

If I understand correctly bans is for ebay only..will probably take a look at it soon...tested phpnichestore and was not very impressed (limited and sloppy default templates, very little documentation, no multi level categories)...

Looked at pop shop (a year ago?), it looked good but seems a bit limited in the possibilities.

Thanks for the feedback rematt, looks like I should take a new look at Joomla. I looked at it about 2 years ago when they had just splitted from Mambo so I hesitated to invest time learning a "new" tool.

Joomla does seems more "user friendly". Drupal does require Advanced stylesheet knowledge to fully customize the look. Plus Drupal modules are not very well organized (last a checked) and many are a little buggy. Drupal also does too many major upgrades (ie nearly once a year). So each time you also need to upgrade all modules + your themes (which are sometimes not maintained in the newer version), this can be very time consuming, especially if you run 5 or 10 Drupal sites. I'm still running some Drupal 4 sites and Drupal 6 just came out...

This site is really good in helping test most CMSs.
    http://www.opensourcecms.com

Good luck,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by delsol
    This site is really good in helping test most CMSs.
    http://www.opensourcecms.com
    Good luck,
    Chris
    Thanks for the url, Chris (delsol)
    The comparisons, demos, and summaries are very helpful.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    ...you'll find that adding and updating content, individual product links or data feeds is fast and easy to automate...
    Hey rematt,

I too am relatively new to all of this. Could you please point me in the right direction to find the sort of extensions that I would need to integrate data feeds, and how I would automate them, as you mentioned? I looked on extensions.joomla.org and am having trouble finding anything relevant. Thanks in advance for your help!

Dealmenow, here's a link to Joomla Shop Builder, they have solutions to integrate CJ and SaS datafeeds into Joomla content. They also have a new product that doesn't appear to be network specific and says that it's been tested with several networks. The new product is called MS Datafeed Catalog Builder and is specifically written for Joomla 1.5 ONLY. The other extensions are 1.x and above and run on 1.5 in legacy mode.

I have not tried nor endorse any of these extensions so make that you read their reviews and try the demos before buying.

I use Webmerge, GoldenCAN and PopShops for my datafeeds and use Jumi which is a free extension to integrate them. Jumi makes it easy to integrate html, PHP or Javascript into content items and works great with the PHP feeds from GoldenCAN and PopShops as well as the HTML generated by Webmerge.

-rematt

Hi! I am a new developer and was wondering if you could outline to me how to use Jumi to integrate the Popshops PHP information?

Also, can I just use the RAWContent Module extension in Joomla to integrate Popshops or do I have to use Jumi?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread