2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I have taken a few days off pondering the content of my 6000th posting at ABW. I read through all the recent days posts and some of the past hot topics deserving of the rants and cries for curing the bad practices employed by affiliates -networks and merchants. Some things sure come to the surface of the commission pool that deserves attention by all parties within the affiliate community.

First one is that the "advertising mind set" will continue to breed the worst practices by all parties as it is purely GREED DRIVEN. Greed driven affiliate related practices all seem to justify their methods, regardless of ethics or morals, by the profit potential. Greed driven merchants and their "advertising mind set" affiliate managers will continue to be the prevalent force as they define success as a cheap Advertising campaign. The hit counter rules and all efforts to reduce the commission pay outs defines the worth of the AM to the site owner. All networks endorse these practices when they refuse to punish poor conversion ratios and justify networks fees by impressions and clicks. Sleazy greedy affiliate practices likewise come from desperation to drive traffic to their sites by any means. Let's just classify all this under ADVERTISING CANIBALISM, where the crap in the commission pool makes swimming hazardous.

Next is my observation and 2 year test proving that a good AM, regardless of temporary problems, makes all the difference in the success of any affiliate program. All 3 major networks can make affiliates money and report sales ONLY IF the affiliate managers verify tracking and sales reporting. Any program set on auto pilot or run by "advertising mindset" professional AM management firms are worthless to showcase. I proved 3 things by bringing TigerDirect -Overstock -JC Whitney here. 1. All 3 networks do report sales if the tags are active. 2. The sales oriented AM is the key factor regardless of the merchant's stature. 3. Pre-sell creatives and sales oriented landing pages are key to conversion ratios. Any AM copying their practices, like Akiva of Essential Apparel, will make you money.

Any form of "incent marketing" is a pure play advertising scheme brought to you from those who think every object in the world is fair game for plastering some Advertising on it if it has viewers. Direct mail -Telemarketers -spammers -Media Ads -Billboards to hawkers in front of Bourbon Street Tittie Bars are a fact of modern life. Affiliate networks are nothing but DoubleClick/ValueClick clones with sales reporting hooks. They are powerless to move away from being a advertising facilitator into true "pay-per-peformance" value added recruiters as 90% of their merchants hate paying 3rd party referral commissions regardless of the spin. Their merchants put up with paying networks fees to keep riding on the cheapest form of advertising available to them. When the networks start charging merchants a click fee and sharing it with their active affiliates this crap will cease.

ABW needs to reward and identify the 100% parasite free merchant's with a special site link page outlining their programs and recruiting link. ABW should also create a special icon image for all their AM's posts linking to that page. The networks need to put some teeth into the CoC and LS addendium by making any violators commissions put on hold till the violation is certified cured. Also cut-off their network "incent" autofeed. Then charge them a $2000.00 re-activation fee as a penality. If not then the BHO's crap floats to the top of the commission pool. These bottom feeders and commission sharks could give a hoot over other affiliates crying foul. They have every possible way to commission heaven mapped out as long as they can dupe or kidnapp internet connected computer owners to install their Adwarez. Their biggest victim is the networks accepting their hush money. Picking the pockets of the merchants is child's play when the rent-a-cop compliance committee gets paid to find excuses for these incent popup whores.

Lighten up on TD's tiger Andy folks, as someone kept putting firecrackers on his tail. I doubt he want's any repeat of the last 3 weeks series of snafus. Unlike IBM or Walmart they do not have their program set on autopilot. Also give all 3 major networks some kudos for the few pro-active affiliate moves they have adopted ...regardless of the fact they were forced upon them like a nurse with that enemia thingy. I hope you'all look forward to my next 6000 posts as very few of the rants haven't proven out to be false advice. Now if only I could figure out how any of the merchant's or networks could pay me for advice.....Webmaster Mike

Jeez. I just proof read all this and realized for my fans I left out the mentions of Wanks, B-a-HO's, Ad-nausium -Freebees -scumbags. Well Charlie salutes them all by raising his tail feathers. After a lunch of Refried Beef Baritos and some budweisers, I would like to give you what the Mexican Takeout guy said to me when I presented him with a coupon for this feast. We often discuss BHO incent offerings and parasitewarez and His reaction was mindblowing.
    My reply to his utterance brought tears to the eyes of my girfriend, on the car ride home, as she rushed to opened her window. It's hard for me to post without using those words.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

LOL Mike what a great 6000th post. I for one will be looking forward to your next 6000 posts. Keep em coming and never ease up on the B-a-HO's. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> hawkers in front of Bourbon Street Tittie Bars <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I wish I lived on Bourbon street .....my imagination runs riot at how they would advertise for hooters.

Famous quotes by Gordon (my new sig)
    why does the world not owe me a living? - I didn't ask to be born!! ~ Gordon 2003
    what is php again? ~ Gordon 2002
    a datawhat? ~ Gordon yesterday
    I'm baffled? ~ Gordon 1999
    If only CJ would pay me for my sales instead of giving it to ebates ~ Gordon 2003
    when you become like whenu then you have hit rock bottom ~ Gordon 2002
    Don't you like my sig? - tough ~ Gordon today
    BTW YouTrek is a good site ~ Gordon everyday

WTG Mike (and Charlie )

I think rewarding good programs is an excellent idea, both by listing them here and by awarding them a gold colored set of pixels or something.

(These links may as well be affiliate links for Haiko as well.. about time he made some money from this!)

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Akiva has responded to my call for merchnat's paying for advice. He wants to hire me or the Mexican to test out a new line of undies branded as "Mufflers". He dropped the ball on Charlie parrot pampers as the guys in manufacturing couldn't make the leg holes small enough.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Mike and/or Charlie

that's a great 6000th post

keep the wisdom coming

(and thanks for your 'reply' wav - I'll use it for notification of in-coming e-mail from certain senders)

(could be embarrassing if I receive an e-mail while on the phone to a customer...)

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Just about 5000 more posts and I'll have caught up

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Weird, I was just thinking about your dislike of advertising last night.

I *like* ads...they're exciting! The more the merrier as they're more interesting than 99% of the "content" on any medium.

A city without ads is a dead city. Bourbon Street obviously still has a lot of life if planting a hawker outside one of those bars does any good!

How dull it would be, without ads. Borrriinnggg!!!

Just as long as the other ads aren't interfering with *MY* ads I have no problem with them. Or the exuberant, excited, rarin' to go, ALIVE advertising mindset! As for the "greed," that can be found in any industry. It's certainly not confined to advertising.

Your other points are good. But I had to respond to the constant villification of the exciting and creative world of advertising!

[Fixed typo]

[This message was edited by Leader on June 16, 2003 at 03:06 PM.]

I cannot imagine how boring Times Square in NYC would be without the ads! It would be pretty dark at night there too!

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Mike,

You go right ahead and continue on to your 12,000 post !!

You as I have said before, have been a source of good advice and guidance for me and Tiger and i am loking forward to more...

I am also looking into those mouse rubbers we discussed once

Post away young man..post away..

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com

Parasite Free in 2003!

Imagine how those TD mice would move off the shelves if you offered a free glow-in-the-Dark mouse rubber with every purchase. Great come-on to hook 300 million folks on safe web surfing. Etch URL's to the Adware removal downloads into each mouse rubber and TD get's repeat orders.....LOL ...call it my reverse psychology advertising campaign.

Mike & Charlie ...

Time to buy some suspenders

ABW Ambassador
    Mike,
    I am your man concerning your business posts, but within your 6000 posts are some other post on GWB and war and so on. I subtract them and am again waiting for your 6000 + 6000 posts.

carneol

Mike, Charlie,

Congrats on your 6000th post! It was a great one as always.

You are a real asset to ABW. Keep up the good work!

Alex
    AlexBet Design

Well emotions often run wild on this board and I'm no exception as I too can get tunnel vision when I react to world events. I lost a daughter-in-law in the World Trade Center 9/11 attack leaving 2 grandkids without a mom. I need to step back and also reflect on those innocents who lost love ones in Afganistan -Chechnia -Iraq -Palestine and other hot spots due to the acts and reactions to the terrorists.

I still think GWB's commitment to disarm Islam and cut off funding sources for arms supplies to terrorists will bring us a safer world. If I have any asset value at ABW it's that I'm not afraid to discuss vital subjects from the normal affiliates perspective. Good practices get kudos and the bad ones deserve the heated debates they inspire.

Mike & Charlie ...

Congradulations on your 6000th! I've always enjoyed your posts and look forward the next 6000. Gotta agree with Leader, too. I learned how to read by viewing ads along the highway on a road trip before I was in kindergarden. Burma shaves were my favorite. Oops, I just dated myself. Andy, get those mouse condominiums ready soon, before I spill another Bud on my desk.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread