Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Post Amazon Kindle
    Is this going to be the IT product for 2008? I heard it on NPR and apparently Amazon cannot keep up with the demand.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA

I have not seen it nor am I a book worm but it makes me wanna get one and start reading more...

There does seem to be a buzz around this product. I'm an amazon.com associate and the last time I checked, amazon.com is currently out of stock of Kindle.

Maybe I need to read up on it more - no pun intended - but I guess I don't understand why this is any different than any other eBook reader that's come before it. Is it simply that there's a wireless component that allows purchases and downloads without having to sync to a computer?
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

They have been out of stock on this since the beginning. Great marketing ploy. Decrease or cut-off supply on a technology item in the early stages and it creates demand. Look at the Nintendo Wii. Same deal.

-sfcom

Affiliate Manager JusticeforGirls's Avatar
    I've read everything about it!! I want one so bad! I read alot and this thing amazing! I just can't justify spending that much on one! I agree that the short supply is probably just a ploy to drive up demand... Maybe Santa will bring me one this Christmas.

CPA Network Rep Dina - MarketLeverage Blogger's Avatar
    I have read about it on several forums but I didn't think it was going to be so popular. $399.00 is a lot of money. You would have to purchase a lot of books to make it worth the money.

I've got a Kindle.

I'll have it with me at Affiliate Summit if any of you dying to see it will be there and want to track me down.

My eyes hurt from looking at my monitor all day, I wouldn't be able to use something like that cause the eye strain

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    I think the idea is cool, but honestly, I hate reading on a PC extensively. It just feels - weird. I like having that solid, papery object tucked in my hands as I pour over my favorite books. Just me?
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Oh but that's the beauty of the KINDLE! The new technology is a paper-like display that prevents eye strain!

Still drooling over one...

But...what about that nice paper smell? Being reminded of pouring over pages with a flashlight, hiding under the covers at night... Yum. Okay. I'm a writer, so I suspect I may be a minority as far as being nostalgically connected to the 'old-fashioned' book. I would consider it if it didn't cost more than my serger, which is one of my most prized possessions. I can't imagine that a Kindle is worth more than that.

Hmmm, I didn't read about the paper-like display. I wish I would see one in person to see how good it is. I have my office lit so I have no glare on my monitors, but it still hurts my eyes, if this didn't hurt my eyes I'd be amazed and but 1 in a second. I don't need glasses and my eye doctor had me buy colored lenses with no ion to help alleviate the pain.

It is very easy on the eyes, not at all like a computer screen. They clearly tried to make it paper-like. It's not backlit, so you still need a flashlight under the covers.

Smells like plastic, unfortunately.

FWIW, here's a picture of kindle vs. book. I chose a book with yellowish paper, unfortunately, but this gives a pretty good idea.

You can change the font bigger or smaller than this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Okay, even I have to admit, that's pretty cool.

I've been pouring over the review and the only major complaints are:

1) No wirelessly sharing books for free... Hmm... people want everything for free, huh?

2) The turn page button is on the wrong side from a usability standpoint.

Several people have suggested waiting until the next version comes out which is supposed to have a few improvements. The cost is prohibitive; for serious readers only. I'm saving my money for version 2.0.

I work for amazon and yes there expecting it to be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwind&Brasswind
    1) No wirelessly sharing books for free... Hmm... people want everything for free, huh?
    I can understand that, though. It's not a matter of getting something for free or not wanting to pay for books, but it's a restriction that printed books do not have. If I want to loan or give my printed copy of The Bone Collector to my cousin, I can do that. If I have it on a Kindle, I can't. Build in the functionality to do a move, not a copy, to another device, and that complaint will largely dry up.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    I guess I just can't understand why someone would want to read on something that small. I guess my eyes are getting old.

ABW Ambassador
    "Several people have suggested waiting until the next version comes out which is supposed to have a few improvements. The cost is prohibitive; for serious readers only. I'm saving my money for version 2.0."

That's what I would do if you wanted something like this. Wait till they make improvements and the cost comes down some. First time I ever heard about it was when someone was talking about Scobles review of it, kind of rips it mainly on usability/design - http://www.kyte.tv/ch/6118-scobleize...els/6118/77475

This subject is close to my heart, as one of my gadget sites is an enthusiast site for Amazon Kindle.

I am pretty impressed with how fervent so many Kindle owners are about it. It seems after a few weeks, many owners turn into Kindle evangelists.

Related to affiliate programs, Amazon has had an aggressive affiliate program for Kindle - 10%. On a $349 item (and used to be $399), a 10% commission is pretty attractive.

A nice change from the few pennies that I make from an affiliate sale for a Kindle book download.

Don't forget - Oprah recently endorsed this. I think the Kindle is here to stay.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

^ That is so true. Her show on the Kindle caused our forums to be flooded within minutes, and the traffic has stayed surprisingly high in the ten or so days since then.

It'll drop away, but I think it's safe to say that she sold many tens of thousands of Kindles. (My guess.)

Quote Originally Posted by BatteryFuelPatrick
    Don't forget - Oprah recently endorsed this. I think the Kindle is here to stay.
    I saw her show that day, and I listen to all the good features on that gadget, too bad I wasn't in the audience, because everyone there got one free, that day.

I'm not planning to buy one, any time soon.

But now I wonder about those people that like to carry their cellphone and a laptop everywhere, and now will carry their Kindle too.

You are right about carrying them around - there is quite a secondary market that has emerged for Kindle cases, handbags, carrying packs, travel chargers... you name it.

I'm trying to picture what it would look like to have it hanging off my belt, along with my Blackberry, iPhone, Zune, etc.

Sony's got a similar product out, saw it at Target. Same idea, non-glare screen and you can adjust brightness and text size. Looks super cool but can't think up a business reason to pick one up.

(Promised myself I wouldn't buy any new toys this year unless they could qualify as a business expenditure )

(boo)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast