As an affiliate manager, I review countless affiliate websites daily. I've come across countless AFFILIATE websites that are offering clock syncronizers, schedulers, weather utilities that come bundled with various parasites. Some of these affiliates are "anti-parasite" but do not realize that they are helping spread them! I figured I'd post this here since I am seeing this more and more often to the point where I see it almost on a daily basis.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    <TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=500><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! < </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=1>SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! < </TD></TR></TABLE>

[This message was edited by Akiva on June 17, 2003 at 12:46 PM.]

Akiva: I have noticed it too When I have been reviewing my affiliates too. quite disturbing indeed.

eMarketer indicates that 2003 will bring in $58.2 billion http://www.webpronews.com/wpn-45-200...rExpected.html

ABW Ambassador
    Akiva--

Do you approve these affiliates? Do you point out their wrongdoings? Not only are they hurting themselves--they're hurting the rest of us, too.

Michael

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Regular aff. programs are easy enough to watch, but with CPM campaigns it's easier for things to slip by.

A notification would almost certainly be appreciated by anyone who's anti-parasite but is inadvertantly running their ads!

~Revenue is King

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Akiva:
    As an affiliate manager, I review countless affiliate websites daily. I've come across countless AFFILIATE websites that are offering clock syncronizers, schedulers, weather utilities that come bundled with various parasites.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto,

I don't approve them, although i must admit i don't have the time to write a personal e-mail and tell them they are spreading the plague...

However, this thread did give me an idea, i am going to update my rejection e-mail to include "parasitic" associations on their site as a posible rejection reason and point them to the ABW parasite forum....

Too many applications, too little time...

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com

Parasite Free in 2003!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>However, this thread did give me an idea, i am going to update my rejection e-mail to include "parasitic" associations on their site as a posible rejection reason and point them to the ABW parasite forum.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best approach for educating and letting unsuspecting affiliates know is probably going to be from AM's. Very good move Andy.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

EmDub,

I don't approve them - but I started finding these downloads on sites that are already in my program. Yes, I review sites constantly based on certain criteria. If I have time to send an email, I do. If not... That's why I posted.

Akiva Bergstrom
    <TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=500><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com

Many times it's the host that spawns the pop up (ie a subdomain hosted at cjb.com pops up a gator downlaod)

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Are these free-hosted sites (topcities.com springs to mind) or free redirects (like cjb.net).. or are the muppets actually stupid enough to do it themselves?

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Unfortunately not all the crap in the commission pool floats on top. Many CPC and lead affiliates just plaster anything on their sites without even seeing if the DUPER, so called merchant paying them pennies, is spreading spyware/theftware. Basically anything that pays lead or click fees that promotes a freebee is a frontend for BHO parasites or spammers. Exceptions are few and far between.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I've seen it on private domains.

They're affiliates.

Akiva Bergstrom

Ya, like Leader said, I've had a few slip threw on me too, Fastclick has let a few slide threw, but they don't usually auto approve those even if you are set too.

I must admit that I am guilty on one of my sites.

Years ago I incorporated everyone.net email into the site to let my members have free email with my domain (niche market, recognizable term, 5 letters in domain). I now have nearly 10,000 people using the email system through everyone.net.

In the past 6-8 months everyone.net started incorporating parasite advertising in its pop-ups.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I can't change Everyone.net, but I can't tell all these people who depend on the email accounts to shove off either.

It's reaching a point I must do something soon - it's not lost on me that my own site is siphoning off my own revenues. I'm leaning toward dropping the mailboxes and accepting the alienation it creates just to be rid of the parasitic scourge - but it's a darn tough choice to make.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Look at the positive side of dropping everyone.net's free e-mail and portal tool features from your site. Everyone of those 10K users get spammed to death by everyone.net merchant partners so using that freebee throw away e-mail account is no great loss as few every check mail on there anyway. Just send out a notice to them about using Ad-aware or SpyBot S&D to rid their systems of the BHO crap shoved onto their systems by the wanks at Everyone.net.

PS: Overseas spammers sure love the back door to use your free e-mail account as a spam base on their mailserver open relay bugs.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Makes me wonder... These affiliates that are spreading the "plague". Do they get a commission for it? If so, they may be smarter than the rest of us. Sometimes... If you can't beat them, join them. LOL

Compare prices and features of over 100 different web hosting plans. Visit my new reseller section. http://www.IceIsHot.com

ABW Ambassador
    IceIsHot,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Compare prices and features of over 100 different web hosting plans. Visit my new reseller section. followed by forum spam<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to admit, it is tempting to fall to the dark side. LIKE INCLUDING WHAT MAY BE CONSIDERED SPAM IN A FORUM POST!!!!!

Valueclick pulled this trick last year. You display valueclick banners with a javascript file. With no fanfare, VCLK included popup code with the banners. That means all the pages with Valueclick banners are spawning popups for gator installs.

The problem is that any time you use dyanamic media on a page, you open the door for abuse.

It is actually a little scary, VCLK owns one of the big three affiliate networks.

ABW Ambassador
    I have to admit, it is tempting to fall to the dark side. LIKE INCLUDING WHAT MAY BE CONSIDERED SPAM IN A FORUM POST!!!!!

Valueclick pulled this trick last year: You display valueclick banners with a javascript file. With no fanfare, VCLK included popup code with the banners. That means all the pages with Valueclick banners started spawning popups for gator installs.

The problem is that any time you use dyanamic media on a page, you open the door for abuse.

It is actually a little scary, VCLK owns one of the big three affiliate networks.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Double Ditto to this...every application I see for the network gets rejected, but often not with an explanation specifically detailing the popup/driveby,etc...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ditto,

I don't approve them, although i must admit i don't have the time to write a personal e-mail and tell them they are spreading the plague...

However, this thread did give me an idea, i am going to update my rejection e-mail to include "parasitic" associations on their site as a posible rejection reason and point them to the ABW parasite forum....

Too many applications, too little time...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

We started our program on auto approve and quickly found out that was a bad idea - since January we have been reviewing every application by hand and even double-checking DNS records to payee names in order to keep parasites and cheats from using back doors.

It is incredible the amount of "drive by's" we are hit with in the process. We don't approve these affiliates and we do send them an additional (non-network) letter telling them about the scurge of parasites and the error of their ways.

I know everyone can't take the time to do this and neither could we - we had to hire part-time college students to manage our approval process. It's worked out pretty well, and we have everyone here at ABW to thank for educating us.

Dale Wentzel
    Director, Online Marketing Motormint.com
    Nothing Builds Business Better than a Strong A.R.M.

Buy them a new application and they'll be content for a day - Show them how to code... and they'll go into business for themselves.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread