I run a site that has a very large number of links. As such, I see many, many requests to change links.

On behalf of webmasters such as myself, please try to adhere to the following guidelines when requesting a link on somebody else's web site.

1) Don't discuss how exchanging links is a good idea. It's annoying, a waste of the reader's time, and assumes that the reader is an idiot. Furthermore, there is nothing you can say to convince a webmaster to add your link. He/She will either add it or they won't.

2)Keep your email as short and as brief as possible. Here's a recommended format:

Dear Webmaster,

I would like to exchange links with your site. Here is the info for my site.

Site Name:
    Site Url:
    Brief Des: A site about adding links
    Long Des: Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blahBlah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah

Please let me know when my link is added and I will be happy to return to the favor.

Your Name

3) Add a reciprocal link on YOUR SITE and send the exact url of the link to the webmaster from whom you requested a link.

4)Put the reciprocal link on YOUR SITE and ON A PAGE THAT IS NO MORE THAN TWO CLICKS FROM YOUR HOME PAGE. Don't try and pull a fast one by adding it to some link page on another site or on an unlinked page.

I should also add that I personally check the backlinks. If a reciprocal link is not added, I send out an email saying that the offending site has been deleted from web site (and I really delete them). I'm putting links up for the benefit of my visitors, not for you. If you are unwilling to reciprocate, don't bother asking.

Stepping off my soapbox now...

ABW Ambassador
    More thoughts to add to Sweat's good list:

Reciprocal links and the navigation to reach them should be fully spiderable.

* Make sure their link to you doesn't bury your URL under tracking codes or something that make it indigestible by spiders.

* Check to make sure those two clicks from the home page are links that spiders can follow -- plain-vanilla HTML, not hidden behind javascript or a form button or something.

Of course, make sure you're giving fully spiderable links at your end of the exchange, as well.

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread