ABW Ambassador
    QuantCast or Alexa or Compete - Which one do you trust?
    QuantCast dot com and Compete dot com seem to profile the US visitors (UNIQUES only) pretty darn CLOSE per my observations.

And Alexa - I am not sure what exactly they track these days and its metrics seems to be off - partly because they don't do the unique visitors and give a lot more substance to number of pages visited and visits into their ranking.

Which one of these three quantcast, compete or alexa do you trust (other than of course your raw logs or your in-house metrics)

ABW Ambassador
    BTW - I like QuantCast

Alexa:

Quantcast lets you put a bit of code on your site & become 'quantified' supposedly increasing stat accuracy. I did this out of curiosity for one of my sites around the start of the year. If anyones interested, here is my comparison.

quantcast numbers
    # Monthly Page Views: 6,760
    # Monthly Uniques: 2,010

actual from awstats
    # Monthly Page Views: 9,760
    # Monthly Uniques: 5,260
    (rounded off)

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    Alexa:

actual from awstats
    # Monthly Page Views: 9,760
    # Monthly Uniques: 5,260
    (rounded off)
    are these monthly US uniques?
    quantcast has US unique data?
    Does that explain the difference in numbers in your stats

Some of the data available at Compete is unreal, but pricey.

Quantcast estimates for the sites I can verify are pretty good, including age and financial demographics.

Alexa can bite me.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Does that explain the difference in numbers in your stats
    When I log in it says: Uniques per Month US 1,010 Global 2,010

awstats is visitors worldwide

none are too accurate for me. quantcast does okay on the demographic part though, but way off on the numbers. i don't add their scripts though.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by newestuser
    none are too accurate for me. quantcast does okay on the demographic part though, but way off on the numbers. i don't add their scripts though.
    seems to me that there is a consensus here that alexa is

between compete and quantcast, which one you like and which one is closer to your stats. Remember, both these show UNIQUE US visitors

I wouldn't rely on any of them, frankly.

That's my experience over a wide range of niches and sites.

Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals
    seems to me that there is a consensus here that alexa is .....
    You've got that right. As for the others, I haven't tried them because AWStats is all I really need. I don't need truly accurate total numbers because I am not selling ad space to anyone (other than G and/or Y on some of my sites).

I do have a couple of private/individual advertisers, but I don't give them traffic numbers. They have asked me to be a part of a site - I give them a price - they either take it or not.

So, what do I use stats for if I don't need "real" totals. As long as AWStats is "reasonably" accurate, I am looking for trends and growth. i.e., If I make a change in site navigation, what happens to the stats over the next few weeks? If I put up a "feature" witha link to another section, do poeple really follow it, or not? That seems to serve my purposes well.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    I haven't tried them because AWStats is all I really need. I don't need truly accurate total numbers because I am not selling ad space to anyone (other than G and/or Y on some of my sites).
    Yes, AWStats or similar stats programs are great for a peek on one's traffic and trends.

Quantcast and Compete will help throw a perspective on competition, demographics and I love the pie/bar charts of Quantcast demographics.

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Great question!

How about you Affiliate Managers? What do you like to use?

Wanted to bump this up. I would imagine anything that uses Javascript or estimations is not going to be accurate. Server side stats are the best. They are the only thing that shows actual traffic.

I just added QC to a new site, but I made sure to block my important data from public view. Interested to see what it shows us over time.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Affiliate Manager yourphotooncanvas's Avatar
    Google's analytics are a really awesome tool, especially if you're running an ad campaign with them. Are they 100% accurate? It's been pretty darn close for me, and the ease for getting information is unrivaled, in my opinion. The slick user interface isn't just to be pretty, it really does make it easy to get valuable information.

Love the demographics on Quantcast, which I found pretty accurate.

A free stats tool I'm also finding mucho useful is phpTrafficA. Not a pretty interface, but logs visitor paths through individual pages, entry/exit pages in addition to tracking the usual unique visitors, SEs, referrers, OS, countries, browsers, keywords, etc. I can check individual pages & see what keywords found these pages, from which SEs, 1st hit, latest hit, total hits. New keywords have "New" in red. Love it!

Easy install on your server & forum support.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

For international traffic of course Alexa is the best. For US traffic I think Quantcast is way more reliable

I use Alexa as something of an indicator, but that is about it. It is easy to fake out these services and elevate rankings, but they are not useless.
    [URL]http://Essociate.com[/URL]

All the services have issues for most sites. If you are not in the top 1,000 or so, then there are problems with small sample sizes.

But, if you use them as benchmarks and compare to other sites within the same service you can get relative information. The demographics from quantcast seem to be OK, but I even have issues with their top level numbers when compared to real analytics.

For my own sites, I use Google and/or Hitslink. We have been using Google and Pinch Media for our iPhone apps.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

ABW Ambassador
    I saw the below and it reminded me of this thread

Quantcast going at Comscore

http://blog.quantcast.com/quantcast/...challenge.html

And Calacanis as well going at Comscore - http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/01/24...on-punch-face/

Quote Originally Posted by Rick - Bitcom View Post
    How about you Affiliate Managers? What do you like to use?
    As an AM I use Quantcast and Compete for a quick overview of the site for someone who is applying to be an affiliate. For my own stats I use AWStats.

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    I use QuantCast code in my sites. They do a pretty good job. I find Alexa stats not that accurate. The better stats come when you post a bit of code on your site.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread