ABW Ambassador
    Celebrate Express New Terms & Visible SAS aff links?
    I'm ready to drop merchants who write emails that I don't understand. After a spate of incomprehenisble emails today, I've just about had it...No I think I have had it. I am axing my list of merchants who send out these types of communications. Now from Celebrate Express comes this paragraph.

LINKING TO OUR WEB SITE
    Upon acceptance into the Program, links will be made available to you through the ShareASale interface. You agree that you will only use linking code obtained from ShareASale without manipulation. When linking to our Web site, you may not use a visible ShareASale affiliate link.

How in the h*ll do I make INVISIBLE affiliate links. What are they talking about. If I'm only using their links without any manipulation, I guess they will automatically be invisible?

For the record I don't do PPC, I don't bid on trademarks. I don't steal cookies.

I would email the affiliate manager but I think I'll just take ALL their links off and promote competitors. After reading the rest of their email again. They truly don't want me to mention their name, heaven forbid I mention them in any email even if it complies with all legal requirements. (and mine do) No they are not worth it. I do not have time for them to micromanage emails and approve everything I write. If I wanted to be an employee, I would be.

My email inbox today seems to be filled with new terms assuming I am Ms. Affiliate pond scum up to no good.

Thank you all for reading this rant. I am going to finish my decaffeinated mint green tea and whole wheat toast and go to bed. That's what a goodie goodie two shoes I am. Guess if I was evil I would know what a visible Shareasale Link is.

I received the same e-mail.
    Perhaps the person who authored the terms was drunk or high at the time?

This is really knee slapping funny:
    ... When linking to our Web site, you may not use a visible ShareASale affiliate link.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    My husband just poured some whiskey into my tea and told me to chill.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    My husband just poured some whiskey into my tea and told me to chill.
    Perfect condition for you to author affiliate terms
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Okay, Aunt Lily, I've had one of those days too. So PLEASE pass that whiskey and tea this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    When linking to our Web site, you may not use a visible ShareASale affiliate link.
    That is by far the silliest thing I've heard. It did make me laugh and I needed that right now, so thank you for posting.

What is wrong with some of these merchants??

15 years and counting
    Why not make them INVISIBLE on our websites?
    Me too, I'm getting fed up to read all these emails regarding PPC, and other stupid requests.
    "You agree that you will only use linking code obtained from ShareASale without manipulation" Yep, sure...
    Why can't they deactivate affiliates causing them troubles instead to piss off everybody?

Apparently yesterday, in addition to being Valentine's Day, was stupid merchant day. I received an e-mail from a merchant informing me that my application to their program has been DECLINED (emphasis theirs). The problem is, I never applied to their program in the first place. Go figure.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hello,

Thank you for everyone's feedback on our terms. I wasn't high, but apparently I wasn't clear enough! I apologize for the confusion.

I will update our terms to better explain the reference to "visible" links. Of course we want your links to be visible, but not your affiliate link. For example:

Not Acceptable:
    Go to this link to find party supplies: http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?B=....

Acceptable:
    Click here to find party supplies (with "Click here" as a hyperlink that includes your affiliate link).

We don't have any type of issue with our affiliates using our company name, except for trademark bidding. There are several company text links, logos, and banners available within ShareASale that promote Celebrate Express.

Any other questions, please feel free to contact me!

-Renee

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Thanks for explaining that because I was scratching my head as well. I thought it meant that we had to use redirects for all links but then it says don't modify the links...umm yea.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Apparently yesterday, in addition to being Valentine's Day, was stupid merchant day. I received an e-mail from a merchant informing me that my application to their program has been DECLINED (emphasis theirs). The problem is, I never applied to their program in the first place. Go figure.

-rematt
    I think it's a tough economy and companies are getting desperate. So they're going after every revenue channel they can think of. They are so used to pushing employees around, they seem to think of affiliates in the same way.

Get this through your heads mr. and ms. affiliate managers. I don't design a web page unless I have at least FIVE merchants who can fill that space. I don't ever go after merchant names in the search engines because I don't want to be dependent on any of you. I spend a great deal of time searching for indies and other programs to keep diversifying away from the major networks.

I get alot more rude emails worrying about their PPC terms and competitive bidding, than I do worrying about parasites stealing my commissions.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread