Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Which marketing approach?
    I'd like to ask you veterens a question...

If you had to pick just one marketing approach which would you choose?

• site content (not shopping site)
    • email marketing
    • PPC
    • Blogging

Only one now!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick - SiteSell
    I'd like to ask you veterens a question...

If you had to pick just one marketing approach which would you choose?

• site content (not shopping site)
    • email marketing
    • PPC
    • Blogging

Only one now!
    My best experiences have been with site content. Now, I surely don't want to stir up that ol' "content is king" hornet's nest. However, I built my first sites nearly nine years ago - they were, and still are, content sites - and they do sell what I need them to sell. My content is tailored to the visitor, and that visitor may likely need to book a room.

With that said - I have very limited experience with the other choices. I have not used email marketing except for some pre-built stuff through one of the merchants with whom I work. I only use PPC to help introduce a new site; and my blogging amounts to articles I post in WordPress when I am using it as as a Content Management System for a few sites.

So, I am not implying that site content is best - it is just the one with which I have the most experience.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

http and a telephoto
    Not smart to use only one marketing method.

There is only one on your list that I wouldn't use.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with Loxly.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    It depends on what I was marketing. But if I HAD to pick one, I'd pick blogging.

But wouldn't you agree Loxly that it's hard to be good at all of them... especially for a beginner or or if you have limited time? Wouldn't it be better to pick one and learn it really well... and then move to the next one?

So which would you start with?

I guess I'd need to know more about what you mean by "site content (not shopping site)"? I really don't know what you mean there.

But *sigh* I'll bet your explanation will ultimately lead to one of those "content v. sales" threads -- which, really, are based more on a misunderstanding than anything else.

Nevertheless, I'm really not trying to detour or misdirect your thread here -- I really don't understand just what you mean and what you're getting at with the "site content (not shopping site)" choice? Can you explain it for us simple folks. LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I can't select just one method. I'm also confused by blogging listed as a method. I'm curious about what kind of blogging and how that is different from your "site content" method.
    I've always thought that a blog was a website format not a method, I could be wrong.

A content site with an attached blog..... and yeah, I can count.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

If I had to choose one, I'd choose affiliate marketing!!

Geno

PS: If there was no affiliate marketing, I'd go for a combination of content (SEO) + PPC.

I'm with lost - blogging isn't a method, it's type of site (usually a content/non-shopping site).

I find that I can't decide even a little bit which method to go with - assuming someone had a gun to my head and make me choose only one. Like most everyone else, I think it's got to be a combination.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I can't select just one method. I'm also confused by blogging listed as a method. I'm curious about what kind of blogging and how that is different from your "site content" method.
    I've always thought that a blog was a website format not a method, I could be wrong.
    I have a content site or "site content" that I have not updated since 2006 yet I still earn daily from that site. My blogs on the other hand have to be updated or else all the traffic and earnings decrease.

But you are right, a blog is just another website format. The method depends on if you blog strictly as a way to make money, or if your blog is a supplement to something larger.

> "If you had to pick just one marketing approach which would you choose? • site content (not shopping site) • email marketing • PPC • Blogging" <
    No.

I would not choose just one. And what exactly is the difference between "site content" and "blogging" -- if I have a blog hosted on my own site, which is it?

If it helps, I can definitely rule out one approach: email marketing. Personally, I don't use email marketing at all. And, while email marketing can be effective, it makes little sense to use it without a web site (not only to sign up and opt out, but also as a destination).

I really only see two things on your list that would make for good marketing:
    Site Content (which to me is the same as blogging) & PPC's
    In order to have a site, you have to have content, in order to have a good site you have to have good content, great site = great content.....PPC's to drive qualified targeted traffic. I don't think it is possible to separate it to one thing, even a newbie needs to start with more than one mechanism.

So if I were to pick, I would pick both your options and I would recommend to a noob, that they don't use PPC's unless their site content was good. It takes both to run a revenue producing website, and a few other things, but the mix of those of marketing means is important, VERY important.

No Longer Banned!
    What Marketing plan do you Prefer ?.....
    Rick

I personally prefer SEO......

Steve

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    We have a portfolio of sites that include content and shopping sites. There are many ways to produce income streams.

I would advise everyone wanting to generate income from their sites learn the ins and outs of SEO though.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Being able to diversify is the key in this business, which is why it wouldn't be a wise choice to limit yourself to just one way of driving traffic to your site. Although of the 4 options you listed, site content and PPC are my methods. I haven't tried email marketing, but I have seen it in action for a merchant site, and it works really well if done correctly. I can't comment on blogging as I've never tried that (at least not yet).

BUT, if I only had one way...I would probably choose site content.

http and a telephoto
    Site content is the starting point, possibly using a blog, and enhancing it with a newsletter (email marketing). So those three should be learned at the same time.

PPC is traffic building. The traffic needs to go somewhere... like to a site that has content
    Deborah Carney

A clarification...
    Thanks everyone for your input.

I guess I wasn't very clear about by choices. Here's my "assumptions" that I based the question on. Please feel free to correct or enhance these assumptions. I originally was going to post this in the Newbies FAQ thread but I thought there would be more advanced marketers here. The hope was to help new affiliate marketers get a sense of where best to put their time.

Sure a blog is content. But it's a "content" strategy that anyone can implement within days and with little money. It's a good beginners strategy because it doesn't take much skill. Site design/HTML/SEO expertise is not really required. Just an interest or opinions about the niche. And they get indexed pretty quickly.

What I meant by a content site (not shopping) was one that was based on something more. It would be where you provide lots of helpful information and you'd end up with good organic traffic for free. Something like a site about golf, or photography, or dog grooming, or some other "passion" where you had knowledge and wrote helpful content around that knowledge.

A successful content site would need 50 to 200 pages to make much of an impact but would draw free traffic for years and years. You'd need to use good on page and off page SEO techniques to keep the SE spiders happy and it might take months to create and longer to see any real success. It's a solid strategy but would take more time, skills, and money.

A shopping site would not necessarily have content based on knowledge or passion but provide straight "selling" information. Product descriptions and at best reviews would be the "content". Amazon is an example of a straight shopping site. A shopping site requires good programming and site development skills and a lot of time to keep them updated... certainly not something a beginner should tackle. That's why I tried to eliminate it as a choice.

email marketing of course works well with any of the above but you don't technically need a site to do newsletter marketing. You just need to develop a list. You can use lots of strategies to develop a list... PPC, article marketing, forum participation, and you can even buy it I guess. The point is it "could" be something you did all by itself. But of course getting the list in the first place is the question.

PPC is also something that doesn't require a site, just money to invest. Of course it works well for developing a list or driving traffic to a content site but you can always send your clicks directly to a merchant. Some say it is better to send to an intermediate PREselling page but that is not required. Success requires a strong understanding of PPC and how to determine ROI.

So in theory all of the above strategies could be done by themselves. So the hypothetical question was... If you were a beginner or had limited time (5-10 hours per week) which would be the best strategy to try/learn first?

It depends on the situation of the person. For example, someone who doesn't need the commissions right away could spend the time on a content site and build long-term value. Someone else who wants the commissions sooner and has some money to invest in learnings the tricks of the trade of PPC could try PPC. One of the issues with PPC is that there don't seem to be as many good guides out there for affiliate marketing with PPC, so you need to spend time or money to learn -- or find a mentor.

Besides the conditions I mentioned above, some people are more comfortable making content while others like the various aspects of PPC. I don't think there's one right answer that applies to everyone.

What I meant by a content site (not shopping) was one that was based on something more. It would be where you provide lots of helpful information and you'd end up with good organic traffic for free. Something like a site about golf, or photography, or dog grooming, or some other "passion" where you had knowledge and wrote helpful content around that knowledge.

A successful content site would need 50 to 200 pages to make much of an impact but would draw free traffic for years and years. You'd need to use good on page and off page SEO techniques to keep the SE spiders happy and it might take months to create and longer to see any real success. It's a solid strategy but would take more time, skills, and money.
    Everything you've described in the paragraphs I've quoted can be done easily and quickly with a WordPress blog. With a combination of WP blog posts and WP blog pages, you can put together a killer "content" site.

In fact, I've got a couple that mix content and "shopping" on various distinct WP pages and WP posts. (I use "WP" to preface "pages" here because as those of you who use WP know, "pages" are distinctive critters within WP.)

Nothing profound to add here, just was struck by how your description of a successful content site works perfectly with a well-crafted WP blog -- and, yes, it can be set up relatively quickly and cheaply.
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto
    Sure a blog is content. But it's a "content" strategy that anyone can implement within days and with little money. It's a good beginners strategy because it doesn't take much skill. Site design/HTML/SEO expertise is not really required. Just an interest or opinions about the niche. And they get indexed pretty quickly.

<snip>

If you were a beginner or had limited time (5-10 hours per week) which would be the best strategy to try/learn first?
    I, and a lot of other people that use blogging software to run their content sites would take offense to your statements that blogs don't require site design or SEO skills. I'll give you HTML skills, but they do help create a better blog.

What kinds of blogs are YOU looking at? What you are talking about in your second paragraph are what many blogs are all about.

Beginners need to learn right from the beginning that they need to learn more than just how to make a site, they have to learn how to market it. What people in this thread are trying to point out to you is that trying to say you can't teach just one skill to people that want to become affiliate marketers.

Everyone *should* start with a website, be it created using blogging software or Dreamweaver makes no difference. That website should be created to be valuable to surfers, whether it is a shopping site or a review site or a combination of both. That site should have an email list for the site visitors to join, so that the webmaster can send messages that drive visitors back. PPC should also be aimed at the website, and not be direct to merchant.

So what should they do first? Build a site.

What should they do last? PPC.
    Deborah Carney

Thanks loxly and everyone. Sounds like I better get myself a blog before I express any more opinions about blogging. I learned something again here at ABW. And hopefully so did some newbies.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread