ABW Ambassador
    How To Question On Direct To Merchant Yahoo
    Have never done direct to merchant before, will check out some past threads but want to give it a try.

So with Yahoo's announcement of being affiliate friendly with this, just had some questions and wanted to be clear on how to do it.

In the display url box, you just put merchant.com right?

In the destination url is where you put the affiliate link so with CJ a text link looks like this (minus the spaces I put in)

< a href=" http ://www.dddddd.com/click-555555-5555555 " target="_top"> Click Here </a>.
    < img src=" http:// www. dddddd. net/ image-555555-555555" width="1" height="1" border="0"/>

So you would just put in this part?

http ://www.dddddd.com/click-555555-5555555

Thanks and I know it has to be with a merchant that allows it in the first place.

Outsourced Program Manager
    I am not sure, exactly. I think that is correct. You strip the image pixel (I may be wrong but I don't think Yahoo will display that for you) and include make the affiliate link the destination URL. Then you can use the display URL separately.

Of course, check with the merchant to make sure they permit use of the display URL. We normally recommend merchants allow this.
    Brook Schaaf
    Schaaf-PartnerCentric
    p/f: 512.464.1122
    Skype - brookschaaf
    www.schaafpc.com | brook@schaafpc.com

Outsourced Program Manager
    To follow up on the above example, I think you make http ://www.dddddd.com/click-555555-5555555 the destination URL. (You'd also want to tag it with an SID for keyword-level tracking).

You'll enter the display URL separately with the copy, I think.

I don't believe there is any space to add the image pixel - < img src=" http:// www. dddddd. net/ image-555555-555555" width="1" height="1" border="0"/>

Be cautious with keyword campaigns! It's easier to lose money than to make money!
    Brook Schaaf
    Schaaf-PartnerCentric
    p/f: 512.464.1122
    Skype - brookschaaf
    www.schaafpc.com | brook@schaafpc.com

Yes, it's just as you and Brook have written above.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    In the display url box, you just put merchant.com right?
    hmmm... I may be doing it wrong. But I don't use the merchant url as the display url. I usually setup a page on a site that will redirect to the merchant and use that as the display url. This way it doesn't effect the merchant ads from showing up and it doesn't make it look like this ad is from the merchant in any official capacity.

You've got the destination setup correct, at least the way that I've been doing it.

Would like to have Donuts chime in on the display url.. hopefully I'm not doing something blatantly wrong.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    "This way it doesn't effect the merchant ads from showing up and it doesn't make it look like this ad is from the merchant in any official capacity."

That was one of the things I was wondering about. Since only one display url is supposed to show for a given search, it could offset the merchant's own ppc or other affiliates, with a landing page you don't have that problem.

With the redirect, isn't that against some kind of policies? Network (maybe merchant) or YSM, Adwords, MSN? I don't want to do anything that would cause me to get the boot from anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    hmmm... I may be doing it wrong. But I don't use the merchant url as the display url. I usually setup a page on a site that will redirect to the merchant and use that as the display url. This way it doesn't effect the merchant ads from showing up and it doesn't make it look like this ad is from the merchant in any official capacity.
    But then what is happening is basically "double serving", and that's a no-no on all of the Big 3 (G/Y/MS). http://adwords.google.com/support/bi...y?answer=14179 shows you Google's stance on it, and the reasoning basically is the same for the others.

Read this about the redirect issue. Two things of importance on that page:
    1) it's not a new policy, just more strict enforcement of an existing policy
    2) clarification about permitted redirects:
    If the URL of your landing page matches that of your Display URL, your ads will be approved.

For example:
    * display URL www.google.com/adwords >> destination URL www.trackingurl.com/google123 >> landing page URL www.google.com would be acceptable
    * display URL www.google.com/adwords >> destination URL www.trackingurl.com/google123 >> landing page URL www.trackingurl.com would not be acceptable
    And to add on to that:
    * display URL www.trackingurl.com >> destination URL www.trackingurl.com/google123 >> landing page URL www.google.com would not be acceptable

So the net result of all of this is that if you want to do direct-to-merchant PPC, you will be competing directly against the merchant and against other affiliates -- and only one of you will have an ad shown. This leads to a bunch of other issues, like bidding wars, tricky bidding to get the positioning you want, frustration at display URL violations, etc.

Is this feature already live with YSM?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Generally, don't use redirects thinking it'll prevent you from competing with the merchants ppc, it's the domain the link resolves to, not necessarily where it lands immediately (as entered). In that light, a shareasale or cj link for instance is the domain name in the destination / landing url, but it's not the one considered by the engine for double serving. They'll test and watch where your link resolves to... so you enter a display url for the user to see (the merchant's domain name, where the user will end up) and you enter a destination url (can be your straight aff link or a page on a domain that you then bounce to the aff url). The reasons for pointing to a separate domain (of yours) and then bouncing through your aff link can be to keep the network and merchant from seeing your referral urls and therefore keyword / search info and/or for you to implement tracking mechanisms of some sort. So most often, you don't need to use redirects, but you can if you feel the need.

All this said, I haven't sen any changes in Y's terms or their help files or ysmblog, so this reported ability isn't something I know the specifics of yet. Afaik, there's not a double serving policy yet published by Y because, to date, you had to own the domain to send traffic to it - so there's been no need for a double serving policy. Once affs started dtm, G eventually realized they needed a double serving policy and that they needed to detect to url that the destination url resolves to, so they could make sure it matches the display url and conforms to the double serving policy... I assume Y would do the exact same thing at the start because they can see why G did what they did with benefit of hindsight.

The report said CJ worked to make this happen and that YSM asked that they report it to the public... and it was said the info came through the CJ wire... I haven't seen it yet myself, not in Y's policies, terms or help files and I haven't seen it in CJ's announcments either, but I've been fishing most of this week... I do believe the Schaaf brothers are a very, very reliable information source, so I look forward to seeing the details come out from Y soon.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread