Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Problem Getting Subcategory Feeds
    I've been working on a new site I had hoped to have up by Monday, but its based on GC feeds, and for several days now, I've had problems I've never seen in the two years or so that I've used (though sparingly) GC.

2-3 weeks ago, over a couple of days, I prepared the GC code for products in a specific category from a single merchant. I got the code for about 65 different sub-categories of brands, another 12 or so of product types, and 3-4 by price, all from this one general product category.

Then, a few days ago, I began putting the GC code into web pages, but when I previewed them, the code from the different sub-categories displayed the same sub-category on each page!

Thinking that maybe I'd done something wrong in preparing the code, I went back, and started re-doing it all, but one-at-a-time, putting them directly into each web page. What I found was that each page would display the same products, but would change with the last code used. That is, if page 1 was blue widgets, that would show up on page 1, but if I then put the code for red widgets on page 2, both pages 1 and 2 would show red widgets. If I put yellow widgets on page 3, pages 1, 2, and 3 would then all display yellow widgets, etc., etc.

After a lot of frustration, I gave up for the day, and the next day when I went back to GC and tried again to get new code, when I clicked on "Click here to Select SubLevel Categories", the page that opened no longer showed ANY categories or sub-categories.

The merchant not only still has all of these products on its site, but I have a single GC display for the entire category of products active on another site, and that properly displays all of the products, though in the single product display.

I emailed GC a few days ago, and am yet to receive a response. Meanwhile time is fleeting on my ability to get this site done.

Has anyone seen these problems, know what is causing them, or what to do? Does anyone at GC have an answer?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Okay AffiliateHound now you have me wondering. I have spent the whole day replacing GC on a site because all my pages where almost empty. I thought the problem was with the merchants datafeeds. When I went into GC to see what the problem was, the merchant is showing no subcategories. This is for eBags - you know they have plenty of categories and subcategories.
    Last edited by msladybug; February 15th, 2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: typos

Guess what, msladybug? The merchant I'm referring to is .........eBags!

I've pretty well decided that, barring some enlightenling info or a complete about-face with GC, tomorrow I'll be redoing my product displays with Popshops. If you're interested in that option, all of eBags' products are currently available in PS.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; February 15th, 2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: added Popshop info
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

ABW Ambassador
    lol - I missed that in your post. Well at least we're narrowing the problem down.

Don't know what to do about it though. I know eBag has been re-arranging their cats and subs lately. Not good just leaving it like this. The feed isn't usable this way.

Thanks, PS is what I started using today.

I just checked another of my sites on which I have eBags GC displays, and some are ok, but others show: "Sorry, the requested category is no longer available."

Sounds like the problems I described are with eBags and not GC.

Well, I started building some eBags displays on Popshops, and an hour later, all of the products I've included are showing as "Inactive". They were available when I included them in the shops.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    This no subcategory problem should be laid at the feet of BOTH the merchant/network and Goldencan. The reason I include Goldencan is because it is their application that guarantees the affiliates the GC program will parse out a merchants ecatalog into meaningful subcategories for promotional purposes.

No shotgun crap on the wall marketing promised Asif. GC fine tunes the generic merchant ecatalog for targeting/focusing referral traffic. The promise isn't met when a merchant/network continuously feeds crap into GC's parser and GC does nothing to force the corrections.

eBags is an example but some merchants like HP Home and Office systems have never had any subcategory displays from day one. Both GC and the idiots running the HP program refuse to answer numerous requests to fix the problem. So GC just turns into the old "crap on the wall" approach with 80,000 products thrown into one category displaying 12 items at a time...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Mr. GoldenCan
    Hi AffiliateHound,
    If a merchant category structure changes, new categories get assigned and old categories gets deleted. We do our best to make sure we can avoid the category changes as much as possible.

You have created the sub category store for a category which is no longer available or has been changed. Which is why your store is displaying the message that “Requested category is no longer available.” In some cases when the sub category is not available GoldenCAN displays the entire store instead of displaying the error message, so your user have some options to shop rather than nothing.

If you create the sub category store for an existing category it will work fine as it suppose to.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCAN
    Hi AffiliateHound,
    If a merchant category structure changes, new categories get assigned and old categories gets deleted. We do our best to make sure we can avoid the category changes as much as possible.

You have created the sub category store for a category which is no longer available or has been changed. Which is why your store is displaying the message that “Requested category is no longer available.” In some cases when the sub category is not available GoldenCAN displays the entire store instead of displaying the error message, so your user have some options to shop rather than nothing.

If you create the sub category store for an existing category it will work fine as it suppose to.
    Hi, Asif, and thanks for the response.

The basic problem is, despite the fact the that the merchant, eBags, still shows thousands of products in this category, in dozens of different sub-categories, when I click on "Click here to Select SubLevel Categories" no categories come up. I want to use this feature in order to get PHP, but if I click "Click here to Get the HTML code for Sub Category Stores." instead, the categories and subcategories do come up and JS code appears, and that code is showing the displays properly.

Thus, the products, categories, sub-categories, etc. are all there, you just cannot do the process to get PHP, ASP, etc. codes.

subcategory shows, doesn't show
    I set up a search with Golden Can for "vegetable bins" which I know is on Amazon.com - but my results for vegetable bins is not showing up when I have installed it on my website.... I have another search where Amazon's products do showup.

This happened this morning. I thought I even checked the search on Golden Can's sample search to see what the results would be if I wanted to include it on my site... at that time vegetable bins came up (I thought, unless I am losing my mind). So I proceeded to install the script.

When it didn't come up I simply made an Amazon page just for vegetable bins, since it was such a small category.

-Sweet Iowa

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thanks Asif for finally getting HP Home & Office sub categories showing. I also notice sales taking place from Sierra Trading Post dropping those blank seasonal promo categories.

Moral of the story is ... GC merchants need to check their category displays every week. Panic if they don't work.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Hi, Asif, and thanks for the response.

The basic problem is, despite the fact the that the merchant, eBags, still shows thousands of products in this category, in dozens of different sub-categories, when I click on "Click here to Select SubLevel Categories" no categories come up. I want to use this feature in order to get PHP, but if I click "Click here to Get the HTML code for Sub Category Stores." instead, the categories and subcategories do come up and JS code appears, and that code is showing the displays properly.

Thus, the products, categories, sub-categories, etc. are all there, you just cannot do the process to get PHP, ASP, etc. codes.
    Glad to sees ome problems have been resolved, but this one, for eBags, has not been fixed.

Mr. GoldenCan
    Hi,
    This feature was never released. we are looking into it and see if we can make these changes.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCAN
    Hi,
    This feature was never released. we are looking into it and see if we can make these changes.
    That's just not true - I've used it for plenty of other merchants (Walmart, Overstock, Unbeatablesales, J&R, etc) and in the past it was available for eBags.

Mr. GoldenCan
    That's just not true - I've used it for plenty of other merchants (Walmart, Overstock, Unbeatablesales, J&R, etc) and in the past it was available for eBags.
    may be we are talking about two different options. please explain the option are you talking about and if it is working for one merchant and not another.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread