Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    A big thank you
    While I do not attempt to be extremely visible with this community I have shared the events of the last 30 days with many of you. This has been the most difficult 30 days of my life.

Two weeks ago my father and step mother were tragically killed in a car wreck in Florida. I got that news sitting in a neuro surgeon's office that I have waited 3 weeks to get an appointment to. The Florida police officer got a hold of me while waiting on the doctor. When he came in the room he found my wife and I with tears and snotty noses trying to absorb the news.

He asked if I wanted to postpone the appointment, which we did not, and showed us an 8mm long cartilidge fragment that had broken off and imbedded itself in the nerve that controls your left leg and its quad and knee muscles.

We flew to Florida later that day to tend. Made funeral arrangements for my dad, had life support removed from my step mother, who then died 2 days later due to the massive internal injuries and then went on to pack up their condo and gather all of their personal belongings.

I had surgery to remove the fragment 3 days later.

While we were in Florida our first grandson Max was born and we missed being there for an event we would have otherwise said we would not miss for anything in the world.

Finally this Thursday my Dad's remains will be buried in a veteran's cemetary in Grand Prairie Texas where he will receive full military honors including an honor guard, gun salute and soldier playing taps on the bugle. It will be a wonderful ceremony that I am grateful for.

I did not write this post to unload my burden. I wrote it for 2 reasons:

1. A few people here have been extremely gracious and taken the time to regularly check on me. I can not express my appreciate to those folks enough.

2. I want to take a moment to ask each of you to pause for a second and ponder your beliefs. I have a deep religious faith and believe stronger than ever that God is in control and the world becomes much more manageable when you place your faith in a God that loves you and is in control. I will leave the sermon there but hope that anyone here struggling with life or issues in life will understand that there is a loving God. I would love to share that story with anyone who would like to hear it (but not in the public areas of this forum.

So, my friends, hopefully I will be back here more often, share any little knowledge I have with anyone who needs it, listening to your successes, helping to cheer you on during your hard times and continuing to learn from this community.

God Bless.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

I have an Unlce-In-Law buried in the same veteran's cemetary in Grand Prarie.

Our thoughts are with you..

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Sorry to hear of all these tragedies happening so suddenly. My thoughts and sympathies go out to you.

The bad things that happen to good people are very difficult to understand. A book I recently read called "90 Minutes in Heaven" by Don Piper really helped me get a better understanding of the "BIG" picture concerning this.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    I'll keep both you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. My prayer list seems to be growing a bit lately, but luckily, it doesn't have any limits.

How extremely proud you must be of your Dad. His service to our country is the epitomy of honor and valor. It's wonderful that his service will be with full military honors, as is righfully deserved.

I wish I had more comforing words to say, or something else to offer at this time, but it seems you have a strong plan to find the peace you need. Please feel free to contact me if there is anything I can do.

Take care.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Sue.

http and a telephoto
    Life can turn tragic very quickly, as I am very well aware. Amid the tragedy though you have also fixed something that was wrong with you, so you are on your way to healing. It will take time to absorb the unexpected loss of your father and stepmother, and in the meantime you will learn to appreciate every GOOD thing that happens to you and appreciate every day for what it is.

Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    visitourmall,

I am sorry to hear about your parents (i did not see your initial post) and i know that it is a difficult time in your life. I am glad that your surgery went without any problems.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I'm sorry for your loss.

God bless you and your family.

Life is full of ups and downs, and you had alot happen within a short amount of time. I'm sorry for your loss with your dad and stepmother, my thoughts and prayers are with you. On the up side, I'm glad that your surgery went well, and you have a new grandson to show off.

Howard,

I've known about all of this as you've gone through it, and you've been in our prayers. If there's anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

I know it's been a trying, emotional time, but I also see some tremendous blessings through it all:

1) God is still in control.
    2) You know where your parents are.
    3) You have a handsome new grandson. How fitting that another generation comes into your life as one leaves!
    4) The cartilage fragment and the related surgery was far better than many of the other possibilities.
    5) Your dad and step-mom got to leave this world together. One of the biggest losses anyone could ever face (other than the loss of a child) is the loss of a spouse, and neither of them had to go through that.
    6) Your relationship with Christ has grown stronger.

I know that in my life, it's the times when I've been through the biggest trials that I've grown the most. They're never fun when we're going through them, but we wouldn't be the people we are today without them.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I don't even know what to say except I'm so sorry for your losses and the way things piled up on you all at once. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Hugs!

Sorry for Your Loss.
    Dear Howard,

I found at the loss of each of my parents, I would...

1. Add their "Enjoyment of life" to mine, to make up for the world's loss.
    2. Turn UP the volume of what they taught me growing up.

Since then, I have quit my job to be home with the kids. We take month long vacations and Our family eats dinner together every night.

I read once that when we are born "pain is a given, happiness is not."

Looking forward, I'm sure you have many more "golden moments" to enjoy.

I hope that you find life "More Comfortable," relatively soon.

God Bless

Steve

“The Lord bless you and keep you;
    The Lord make His face shine upon you,
    and be gracious to you;
    The Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
    And give you peace.”

Numbers 6:24-26

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Wow VOM you've been through some rough waters. Glad to know you've made it to shore and can see the light through the darkness.

Love that you shared your belief in God and faith in this trying post. Thanks for the reminder.

And what MC said is especially comforting:

"Your dad and step-mom got to leave this world together. One of the biggest losses anyone could ever face (other than the loss of a child) is the loss of a spouse, and neither of them had to go through that."
    Stay well, love little Max and enjoy your new pain free life.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Howard,

I've known about all of this as you've gone through it, and you've been in our prayers. If there's anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

I know it's been a trying, emotional time, but I also see some tremendous blessings through it all:

1) God is still in control.
    2) You know where your parents are.
    3) You have a handsome new grandson. How fitting that another generation comes into your life as one leaves!
    4) The cartilage fragment and the related surgery was far better than many of the other possibilities.
    5) Your dad and step-mom got to leave this world together. One of the biggest losses anyone could ever face (other than the loss of a child) is the loss of a spouse, and neither of them had to go through that.
    6) Your relationship with Christ has grown stronger.

I know that in my life, it's the times when I've been through the biggest trials that I've grown the most. They're never fun when we're going through them, but we wouldn't be the people we are today without them.
    I did not know about all of this until I read this thread today. Michael has quite eloquently summed up nearly everything that occurred to me as I read through your post. You will emerge stronger than ever from all of this. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. And my prayer list has no limits either. Take care of yourself and your family.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I didn't know of this either until now. Sorry to hear about your loss here. This is not easy for you, I'm sure but you can take comfort in your friends and God. As I said in another post, when you travel though enough clouds, eventually you will see the sun. Here's to a sunny tomorrow for you!

-sfcom

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and a HUGE thanks for those that kept us in their prayers!!
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

My thoughts and sympathies go out to you and your entire family, too. Can't say much more than what's already been said either. I'm glad your faith helped you to get through this very sad period of time. Definitely do agree that you should be able to take some comfort in:

"Your dad and step-mom got to leave this world together. One of the biggest losses anyone could ever face (other than the loss of a child) is the loss of a spouse, and neither of them had to go through that."

Am glad your surgery went well also without any problems. Hope it alleviated the pain you were having and physically you're feeling much better. Think I did congratulate you somewhere in another thread about your grandchild but in case I didn't congratulations and enjoy this very special time with him. He'll grow very quickly. lol

I am sorry for your loss.
    But thank you for your inspirational words. God has blessed you in a time of grief with your grandson Max.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread