Just found someone copying some of my revenue pages, really blatant, was just wondering if anyone had some hints on how to go about it, I haven't said anything to the person yet, but I have sent the info to the program managers of the pages he copied. Anyone have a site copier best practices, or some such?

ABW Ambassador
    I just responded to a similar post on the Overstock forum earlier this evening. See http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=8886020153

Just have your attorney cite the relevant legal statute.

qball - same thing happened to me (See Overstock link) - it may be the same person (whois shows an address in Israel). I noticed that not only did they copy one of my pages word for word but the pages of several other people (one or two of whom I recognise as Abestweb members). So, heads up to everybody to check your pages - just take a sentence or two of your own copy from one of your pages and search for it as a phrase ("") in google to see if it has been lifted... Looks like this guy did a search for various shopping related terms and 'borrowed' the number one result for his own site - in my case his page (ie: mine!) is now number one for a popular product keyword phrase whereas my page (which used to be #1) is no longer even on the frontpage - so it worked for him. He is using CJ and Linkshare merchants, I have emailed some of the affilaite managers concerned (including Overstock) but have yet to receive a response from any of them. I assume they don't condone it, but it would be nice if they say withheld commissions and gave them to charity as well as terminating the offending affiliate - site copying is not acceptable in my book.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    This is a different sort of service, but interesting nonetheless...

www.plagiserve.com

Their focus is more on comparing student essays with online websites, to see if a student has copied from an online source.

I found the service by clicking on a results link that showed up as a surfer to my site. It compared one of my online essays to some student's essay, it was almost identical, with only the occaisional phrase slightly altered..... I never did find out who copied my essay, it couldn't see who had instigated the search, just it's origin.

I suppose they should offer an additional service to webmasters for comparing their sites to others on the net, on a monthly basis or somesuch, as a way of detecting copiers.

"Nothing like a nice piece of hickory."
    -Preacher, Pale Rider

ABW Ambassador
    It would help a lot if oyu could post the copiers site here so we can go check. Nothing would get this tosser off the WWW quicker than several angry ABW members threatening legal action.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread