My server crapped on me
    Not sure what happened but my server crapped and my site will be down a few days.

Thank goodness for backups even if they are incomplete. I like incomplete ones gives me a reason to start new but with old content lol. well I really have a full back up but I want a reason to redesign the site anyway.

Anyway just a recomendation to everyone, if your server has to constantly be rebooted even after its patched and serviced, don't wait for it to crash before you find a new server.

Ouch. I've been there a few times, Mike. Good luck getting everything up and running again quickly!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

you know I am not even worried if it takes me a few weeks to get back up, keep getting email from members on my forum telling me that no matter how long I take they will still be members and some even donated cash which was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    you know I am not even worried if it takes me a few weeks to get back up, keep getting email from members on my forum telling me that no matter how long I take they will still be members and some even donated cash which was pretty cool.
    That's awesome when people appreciate your hard work and creativity that much. You've grown a great community there.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Wow -- you seem so calm in the midst of a storm!

yeah probably later on I'll begin to stress lol

...if your server has to constantly be rebooted even after its patched and serviced, don't wait for it to crash before you find a new server.
    Is that an example of a dedicated server?
    Was the server on your property (home or office)? or was it situated in a place similar to The Planet in Texas?

I hope everything will sort out and be okay for you.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Yikes Mike - hang in there - I'm sure the reality has begun to set in and you've gone from calm to insane and back again.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I'd be freaked... I have backups and an 8 hour recovery plan, and I'd still go crazy if my site was down. Even 2 minute outages during DoS attacks make me nuts. I look forward to seeing your new design though!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Is that an example of a dedicated server?
    Was the server on your property (home or office)? or was it situated in a place similar to The Planet in Texas?

I hope everything will sort out and be okay for you.
    Yeah dedicated and no it's at a co-lo

Yeah dedicated and no it's at a co-lo
    Sorry about the trouble. I feel your pain.

I do the same thing (dedicated co-location). I ordered a dell server with RAID the last time and had it shipped to my hosting provider. For a couple reasons - a three year warranty, and in the hopes of being able to salvage one of the hard drives to lessen any transition pain. Though even the best laid plans can be left in shreds depending on how the server dies.

I've been lucky - I've been down a total of about an hour the last few years... Though the problem with luck is you never know when it will run out.
    [B]A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.[/B]

yeah I have a new dell dual core server now with a gig of ram, I'll probably upgrade that to 2 and get a second server to load balance.

as of yet I'm still not stressed, backup works just working on a new design. Although advertisers are *****ing at me, well not really they are just saying to let them know when the sites back up so that their ads can match the layout.

On the upside, it is nice to have a site where both users and advertisers notice when you are down!!

Zen master calm Mike,

I hope all goes well with the rebuild!

How long were you on the server before the crash and was this just a raw bot that you kept up-to-date or was it managed? Did the board fry...what would cause such a crash?

best of luck bro!

well I had it 2 years, and it was pretty much managed by me, seems that the ram went bad. and all that is needed is for it to be replaced but I figured I'd get a new one.

you prolly know this better than i but i hear a raid 10 will give better performance and recoverability if you haven't already planned on it.

Best of luck with the upgrade

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread