From a post on THAT OTHER forum.

Someone has discovered Microsoft is crawling the web.

"MSNBOT/0.1 (http://search.msn.com/msnbot.htm)"

from IP 131.107.137.xxx

According to the report the IP was indeed Microsoft. I've verified, it's for real and Msnbot is on the loose!

Like it or not, my predictions of the end of the Google era are more and more realistic by the day!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Like it or not, my predictions of the end of the Google era are more and more realistic by the day!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Wouldn't that be great!

----------------------------
    Me Big Chuck
    Come to my site and pay me money or me get angry pull tree out of ground, and bust your head!

ABW Ambassador
    Don't get your hopes up on the end of Google. Google is popular for a reason - their searches by and large work and its easy to use. MSN Search is a pain to use for the user - since you have to scroll through all the sponsored listings before you ever see the web search results - not to mention that fact that MSN is just a slow site to begin with. If MSN.bot replaces Inktomi but the SERPS are displayed the same, don't think you'll see Microsoft taking over the search scene anytime soon.

Just my two cents worth, anyways.

Jim

ABW Ambassador
    Doesn't matter. Search Engines come and go and good affiliates adapt with changes. Google ain't going anywhere any time soon.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Actually I think much attentiong is being given to my last statement(end of Google) when the truly relevant fact here is that Microsoft has not gone into a new market and settled for #2 in the past 28 years(OK Windows CE and Xenix sucked).

IMHO the BIG THING here is the fact Microsoft is crawling data with its own robot for its own search engine.

Microsoft can probably offer Google employees 10 times their wage, all the colorful Google toys and 10.000 servers just for starters....

I do great on Google but I'm not complaining if some competition enters scene!!!!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Lotsa speculation that Google will be going public shortly, less of course msn gobbles them up. It should be an interesting year!

"Nothing like a nice piece of hickory."
    -Preacher, Pale Rider

ABW Ambassador
    MSN behind AOL.
    XBOX behind Playstation.
    IIS Servers behind linux.
    Blackbird lost to Java.
    MS SQL behind Oracle and DB2
    And many many more.

Don't believe the MS hype. So they are a new player in the search engine world, big deal. Not sure what ground they hope to cover past relevant linking. If anyone should be scared, overture should be, not google.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    IMHO Google is popular with the public in general due to its speed...don't they have like 20,000 servers running together to provide superfast results? I've never thought their results were the most relevant...If MSN can work on their speed & provide decent results, they'll be able to compete.

FreeCallz.com

Good. It is about time.

Yahoo will start using Inktomi... msn will stop using inktomi and start using their own database. Google's dominance will decline... Did they miss best time for the IPO?

The end of the google communists is near

Goal: to earn one dollar without working for it.

Did anyone else notice a huge surge in MSN traffic starting on June 13th, 2003?

Traffic coming to two of my sites more than doubled on that day and have stayed up ever since. At first I thought it was the new Google dance, but after a few days of studying the logs, it is all coming from MSN.

Could this be from their bot? Anyone else notice a traffic surge?

Burke

ABW Ambassador
    For info on the bot:
    http://www.msnsearch.com/msnbot.htm

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Why is this a red alert?

Fred

"Yo momma's glasses are so thick she can see into the future."

Well, none of my sites have had a visit from the MSNBOT yet. Obviously this may be very important for MSN listings in the future. Any ideas as to how to get the spider's attention without paying for a Looksmart listing?

Through some sleuthing done by an acquaintance, and straight from an Ink operative, it'll be at least 18 months before MSN could have its own bot built SE online.

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Bob Hope

ABW Ambassador
    Heres a nice link:
    http://scriptingnews.userland.com/msnBot

--Wayne Calloway

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Heres the scoop on the bot:

http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-1018930.html?tag=fd_top

Plus I hadn't seen this thread and started a new one here with another article that just came out today.

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=1096028053

Linda Buquet ~ Affiliate Management Consultant ~ Catalyst eMarketing.com
    Representing 5 Star Affiliate Programs: DentalPlans|zZounds|Irv's Luggage|Roadloans

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Did anyone else notice a huge surge in MSN traffic starting on June 13th, 2003?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I noticed a VERY direct relation in MSN traffic to the cash flow received . . . approximately 220% increase~! Hooorah for MSN~! I don't think it's an increase in traffic due to its SE influences. I see it as their increase in AOL transfers where USERS are actually USING the MSN network because they PAY for it~! Yeah baby~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread