Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    GET ACTIVE or Your OUT!!!
    You know at this time of the year the inexperienced affiliate managers will be trying to impress the boss and kill all affiliations with affiliates that have not made a sale for them recently. They can show the boss the list of affiliates they have and their sales figures, if you have not made a sale for them then you are regarded as nothing but an inactive number and they want you to move on to put it politely .... Please list merchants that send you those "Get Active or Else" letters like these two I recently got.

Charles Tyrwhitt - Linkshare
    Thank you for your partnership with Charles Tyrwhitt. We noticed that you were accepted to the Charles Tyrwhitt Affiliate Program but have not yet generated a sale.

With over 300 new shirts, ties and cufflinks in our inimitable Jermyn Street style, and of the high quality we are known for, the spring collection is one our customers will love. And to make it even more attractive for them, they can get up to 40% off many of the ranges.

Additionally, to celebrate the new season there is improved navigation and search functionalities on our website to ensure that this is the best season yet - for CT and for YOU.

Please get active by March 31, 2008 or you will be removed from the program. However, if you just haven't had a chance to get active, you will always have the opportunity to re-apply. We wish you a fantastic season and looking forward working together with you in 2008!

Sincerely,

The Charles Tyrwhitt Affiliate team
    In the Mood Intimates
    With each new year in business comes another change to start fresh and to make a change, and that’s exactly what we are doing at In the Mood Intimates, LLC. Recently we scrutinized our affiliate program and reevaluated what we want to achieve from it. After careful consideration, we will be making some major changes in the program that we want all our affiliates to be aware of.

Going forward, we want to run a more exclusive program, focusing on deepening relationships with a smaller number of strong affiliates. We will be emphasizing affiliate relationships that we feel to be brand reinforcing. We hope that by strengthening our affiliate relationships, we can improve both our business and the business of our affiliate partners.

Our first step towards this goal will be to remove all inactive affiliates that joined our program prior to October 2007. This will take place on or about 2/22/2008. If you are an inactive affiliate that joined the In the Mood Intimates, LLC affiliate program prior to October 2007 and do not wish to be removed, please email us before then.

Throughout the month of February, we will comb through all inactive affiliates that joined our program from October 2007 to present. We will evaluate these sites individually to determine if it is still a good match for our program. We realize that some of these sites might still be under construction or require action on our end in order to begin promoting us.

In regards to our active affiliates, we will carefully go through each one to determine if it is a good fit with our program based on content, promotion strategy, and other brand considerations.

We have appreciated all of our affiliates’ hard word over the years. We hope that by overhauling our program, we will be able to devote more time to developing closer relationships with each of our remaining affiliates. Once we complete this initial maintenance, we will look to start rolling out a set of additional incentives and banners designed to make In the Mood Intimates, LLC a more valuable partner for our affiliates throughout the years. As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Best of luck in all our endeavors,

Erica
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I am thinking some don't realize that it might take 100 click-thrus before a sale is made if a link or banner is placed on a related content site. Or, it might take quite a bit of time to fully develop a sales-orientated site to the point where it can be profitable on a PPC basis. And for both content and sales orientated, it can take as much as several years for even the best site to get good search rankings by themselves.

Both content-based and sales-based sites require a bit of patience.

They would be better off sending a friendly email out simply inquiring of seemingly non-active affiliates to voluntarily provide an update.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

15 years and counting
    Quite often these emails are recommendations from the idiots running CJ and LinkShare. That's the way they educate the AMs in charge of their programs. They never forget to mention also they will be making more money by accepting all the thieves in affiliate marketing.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    So do you respond to these emails or just hit delete and find another merchant?

Interesting way to motivate... Won't require a poll to figure out what % of affiliates get truly motivated by such e-mails. :-)

Geno

I try to torque their minds a little. Last year I just got disgusted but this year I'm going to say to the AM that I notice they haven't kept up with the trends. A few new graphics aren't going to cut it for an affiliate that builds whole sets of pages for a merchant. I'll be mentioning Popshops and GoldenCAN in particular.

Yeap, I got those two the other day, too. CT annoyed me cos I have had a couple of sales with them, just not real recently. Not quite sure how I'm gonna deal with them. I like them and evidently one of my visitors liked them but I'm gettin to the point now where I just don't wanna be bothered with those type of merchants that act that way.

Not sure if it's gettin tired of those type of emails or they manage to get me on a day where I'm not in the best of moods lol but I've gotten to the point now if I have their links on my site (only have a few I just haven't had time to get to yet but hasn't been that long since I applied to them) I write to them and ask them what their definition of active or inactive is. (having had sales or having their links on my site) I explain to them about them being trigger happy affiliate managers, how I don't agree with that thinking and most affiliate managers I know don't either, that it's stupid since it's free advertising and ya never know when one of those affiliates may suddenly start getting sales,

I don't word it nastily or anything. Just explain that I don't have a whole lotta time and if that's their attitude, I'd rather spend the time I do have devoting it to merchants who appreciate me rather than wasting it on those who don't. Which, is the truth. In the beginning it really would upset me and make me sad and really took it personally but I've learned there are a lot of merchants out there if you search for the really good ones who will appreciate you and not treat you like that. I don't need to waste my time on those who don't.

So, I'm honestly just tryin to figure out their thinking on it. Many cases there's sorta been a misunderstanding and the emails were only intended for those who didn't have any links on their sites at all. In the case of Erica, that's what happened. She apologized if she had offended me and very nicely explained that she had some affiliates who had been out of business and they were only intending to find out which affiliates did have links on their sites and were serious about working with them so they could form better relationships with those affiliates.(don't think that was word for word but close to what she said) So, she was very nice and didn't intend for her email to be taken the way probably a lot of us took it.

Another merchant a while back, didn't even bother responding back, which annoyed me even more. lol I had sales with that site.....but guess not enough so after that affiliate manager they'd never get me to purchase anything from their site. lol

So, guess in defense of some affiliate managers, think what their intentions are.... I understand and don't blame them ( if a site has gone out of business) it just doesn't come across all the time to us what they are actually intending as the purpose of the email. Others....uhhh just are stupid in their thinking, I guess....those I don't wanna be bothered with anymore. I do try to find out first tho if they're a merchant I like.....if not....just remove their links and forget about em.

There are just so many other ways one can communicate this kind of thing with affiliates, if they really feel they must. When I as an active affilate I liked it when an AM contacted me first to see if I needed anything, tools, banners, links, etc, long before I would get an "Inactive warning" email.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I was annoyed by an email today from AllThingsTrendy (emphasis added):
    Quote Originally Posted by AllThingsTrendy
    >
    Dear Mark Welch,

Earn a $100 BONUS! Limited time offer.

I see that you are a member of our AllThingsTrendy affiliate program. Unfortunately, I also see that you have not earned any commissions in several months. As the affiliate manager for this program, I want to help! Especially since I been asked to remove all non producing affiliates (those with no sales and no hits) from the program. Before doing so, I have been authorized to offer a $100 BONUS to help you get started.

AllThingsTrendy has the hottest selling crystal bags and gift accessories; all which are high dollar items that practically sell themselves. With the 10% commission (and 120 day cookie), you can easily earn $25-$100 for a sale. The best part is that 22% of AllThingsTrendy.com's business is from repeat customers! That equates to repeat sales for you!

$100 BONUS DETAILS
    You must be the intended affiliate recipient of this email (offer can not be forwarded to any other party).
    Immediately add either our banners, coupons, or products to one of your domain home pages and continue promoting for a minimum of 14 days.
    To be eligible, respond to this email no later than February 25, 2008 with the URL where you have begun promoting our products (include your affiliate ID number in the email). Then, sell, sell, sell!
    We will immediately pay you an additional $100 Bonus once you have completed five sales of Anthony David crystal handbags. This equates to earning $185 - $500 for your first five sales!

As always, if you have any questions or comments regarding our affiliate program, I would love to hear from you. Feel free to email or phone me at ***-***-****. AllThingsTrendy.com is committed to being your best handbag merchant!

Thank you,
    Ethan Collins, Affiliate Manager
    AllThingsTrendy
    <
    What's wrong with this message?

First, it threatens removal from the program for affiliates who have demonstrated enough interest to "join" the program, but who haven't yet generated any traffic. Since there is no cost to retain the affiliate, and since there is always a chance that this "interested" affiliate may follow through next month or next year, there is no reason to remove them.

Second, the "bonus" offer doesn't apply to all the merchant's products, only the most expensive items in one of the product lines sold by the merchant. Since none of these items match my web site themes, I can't earn the bonus (of course, as many folks here know, I generally don't act on any "bonus" offers, certainly not any with absurd qualifications).

Third, the bonus is only offered to affiliates who post a link on a "domain home page" -- I assume this means the root URL or index page. This seems silly for many affiliates, whose home pages provide no value whatsoever to merchants, while specific content pages may provide immense value to merchants.

I quickly checked and found that I actually have a direct link to AllThingsTrendy products on a worthless "directory" page (but it's a "domain home page," so I would now qualify for the bonus), and I also have PopShops links to AllThingsTrendy products on several other pages, including two other "domain home pages" that draw very little traffic, as well as about a dozen much more focused content pages that are much more likely to generate sales (but "more likely" is only relative -- I think it's unlikely that any of these links will generate any sales soon for this merchant).
    Last edited by markwelch; February 17th, 2008 at 01:27 PM.

Affiliate Manager allthingstrendy's Avatar
    Mark,

I apologize if this email annoyed you. That is/was not my intention. I am a new affiliate manager; learning and only trying to do what is right for the program (affiliates and merchant). Obviously, I will make mistakes.

We actively try to work with affiliates who are truly interested in promoting our products. When 1000s sign up and do not even retain a valid email address or valid links, it is difficult to manage. I'll find a better way.

Regarding our bonus program: The simple fact is that we can not offer a $100 bonus program for the sale of just any product on our site. There is no profit in this for us. I must note that 80%+ of our sales are for the items targeted by this bonus program. Thus, we are not asking affiliates to push unusual or hard to sale products.

Your input make sense and I humbly accept your advice. Our intention is to promote a working relationship with our affiliate; not annoy or scare them off. Thanks for the input, education, and for participating in our program.

Ethan Collins
    Affiliate Manager
    AllThingsTrendy.com

I recently got one of those "Get busy or get lost!" emails from good ol' CJ. At the network level I believe they cull their "inactives" every six months or so. As much as I don't like CJ they do have one or two merchants I might be interested in promoting this year.

But, instead of hitting the delete key, I figured I should hang around a while. Soooooo, I actually signed up with a hotel merchant, put a promotion (banner and narrative) in a good spot and sent them two reservations in two days. Lo and behold - I got to be a 2-Bar Affiliate for a while - WooHoo - Whoop-D-Do - Hurray - and all that good stuff. The bookings were just consumed and "locked" - so now I am pulling those links and going back to business as usual - for another six months, anyway.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    ...so now I am pulling those links and going back to business as usual - for another six months, anyway.
    Beachy, if you made a couple bucks off of them, why not leave them up?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Beachy, if you made a couple bucks off of them, why not leave them up?
    $10.17 commission on a $339.00 (before taxes) booking. 3% is ridiculous for a major hotel in a good market. Plus they are on CJ and with eBates and Upromise

I know that particular merchant does strike individual deals that are a lot better. I won't ask them, however, because of the CJ and eBates thing.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    $10.17 commission on a $339.00 (before taxes) booking. 3% is ridiculous for a major hotel in a good market. Plus they are on CJ and with eBates and Upromise

I know that particular merchant does strike individual deals that are a lot better. I won't ask them, however, because of the CJ and eBates thing.
    OK, got it. Plus, not being in the travel niche, I sort of assumed the commissions were a lot higher.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Cool, and not cool
    AllThingsTrendy,

It's great to see you coming into this forum and interacting with affiliates, and genuinely taking an interest in helping people to perform well.

My rant is with Hammacher Schlemmer...
    I had a bunch of links pointed to Hammacher Schlemmer (CJ). New affiliate manager came in (had built a great relationship with the old one) and I hadn't produced any sales for about 3 months. They not only booted me from the program, but when I cited past performance and continuing interest in promoting, here's the response they sent me.

Dear Jonathan,
    In recent efforts to strengthen our conversion, we took on the effort to remove non performing publishers. Unfortunately you fell into this category. If you diagree and would like to rejoin our program, please provide explanation and examples as to how you plan to promote Hammacher. We look forward to your response. Thanks! The Hammacher Affiliate Team

I responded back that I have a network of sites which already have active links to their program, and that I planned on growing the sites, so their reach would be growing with that.

Not only did I not get added back into their program, but I never received a response.

Maybe I don't understand. Does it cost them something to have me as an affiliate through CJ? What's the downside of having me non-performing for a couple of months?

My only thought on this whole thing (actually, I have quite a few) is "HUH?"

Dumping someone who has produced for you in the past, and has active links to you, which send traffic, in "efforts to strengthen...conversion"?

It rather frustrates me.

I now only use redirects when sending traffic, so that links are more easily switched, but that, to me, is some seriously funny affiliate management.

If anyone knows the folks who are running Hammacher Schlemmer's program, please point them here.

Jonathan
    http://www.TheMagicOfTesting.com

hmmm
    Ethan ...I had forgotten about your email when I posted my thoughts about this post. I got an email similar to Mark's too. Not sure it was exactly the same, tho. Actually was gonna reply back, but hadn't gotten to it yet. I don't enter many of the contests like you're having cos they're just not very realistic for me to achieve. In mine I believe you wanted a customer to purchase 2 of those evening bags and I had a month to get it. Ummm hard enough gettin them to purchase 1 let alone 2. lol I love crystal evening bags but uhhh would be happy to have just one since it's not something I'd be going out and buying every day. Some women would but not many I know.

My email didn't include: "since I been asked to remove all non producing affiliates (those with no sales and no hits) from the program. Before doing so, I have been authorized to offer a $100 BONUS to help you get started."

Mine contained info about a contest you were having but don't know if somehow I escaped your threat like in Mark's cos somehow you just didn't have the heart to threaten me lol or ya just forgot to include that part in mine. Actually didn't really feel threatned in mine.....but ummm after reading Mark's umm guess I shoulda.

ok, so if you're not gonna be a trigger happy affiliate manager.......will definitely accept what you said in your post and am not annoyed or scared off. and will be happy to work with ya. pssst I really do like your products and recently made an entire page for em.with the "Make a page" at SAS.

You've gotta promise tho......not to be one of those "trigger happy affiliate managers" Like I said in my earlier post......I don't wanna go to the trouble of having placed a bunch of your links on my site and including your coupons, etc. if you're just gonna go turn around and terminate me tho. I have another merchant that sells similar products as yours and I like their products just as much and that affiliate manager would never threaten to terminate me. psssst....most affiliate managers here don't do that cos they think it's the wrong thing to do. (won't go into all their reasons, but they just don't do it) One of the quickest ways to annoy us affiliates is to bring up the active or inactive words in our emails.

So..... as long as you're not one of those trigger happy affiliate managers I understand you didn't intend for us to think that you were threatening us and am happy to work with ya. Am gonna email ya soon about something else you said in your email, too.

15 years and counting
    Jonathan, as far as I know, your name is not eBates, uPromise, iGive... You don't use downloads to steal other affiliates' commissions. So, why do you think Hammacher Schlemmer should work with you?
    Forget them and move on. I'm sure you'll find better merchants who appreciate their affiliates.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Interesting way to motivate... Won't require a poll to figure out what % of affiliates get truly motivated by such e-mails. :-)
    Oh, they motivate all right. The just don't motivate actions that are very positive.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

They are very good at motivating me to find new merchants

Ditto

Affiliate Manager allthingstrendy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    You've gotta promise tho......not to be one of those "trigger happy affiliate managers" Like I said in my earlier post......I don't wanna go to the trouble of having placed a bunch of your links on my site and including your coupons, etc. if you're just gonna go turn around and terminate me tho...
    Purplebear, you have my word! Man was this a learning experience... and best of all, I found this thread and can hear what all of you have to say!

Thanks,
    Ethan

Ok, Ethan....now everybody sees this....so will hold ya to it. I did just send ya the email I said I was gonna. Look forward to working with ya

You can learn a lot here that will help ya to understand us affiliates better. Sometimes affiliate managers send us emails and just don't understand how we take what's said in them when they didn't always intend to come across that way. From what you've said, I don't think you intended at all to offend any of us or have us take it the way we did. I actually didn't take mine quite the same as some others but don't know if it was worded exactly the same. Knowing how we do react to emails regarding terminating us or the ole get active ones, should help you in the future in your relationships with us.

Congratulations on your new job as affiliate manager and good luck with it

A thought for affiliate managers on this topic...

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=101438

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Geno
    Geno, you have hit the nail on the head, it is the best way to NOT motivate an affiliate with these types of emails. I really felt quite annoyed when I read them especially from CH since I had been placing their links up each month which adds up to quite a bit of work over time and I won't be adding next months links now. I was also building a mens clothing store which needs a datafeed and I had them in mind for that but I will look else where now. So what did they achieve by sending me that email?.. absolutely nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    No I never responded, why waste any more time with them

Quote Originally Posted by strive4impact
    A thought for affiliate managers on this topic...

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=101438
    good idea, they need educating
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    I delete 'em. If the way they worded it makes me mad enough, I'll also actually go in and Drop Program so it goes on record that I dumped *them.*

But usually they are not so over-the-top that I'm motivated to drop them (although I used to always go straight for the Drop Button).

Currently, for most of them, I just delete 'em and do nothing else, and IF the merchant actually removes me, then I find a replacement. I've seen that at least 1/2 the time, the merchant WILL NOT actually do the threatened dropping, even if no sales occur during their "last chance" period. Whether they were just blowing hard to begin with, or if they got educated like Ethan did, I don't know. I do know that I'm not inclined to talk to anal types--if they're looking for people who'll beg them to be able to stay, they're looking in the wrong place!

Then there are another 10% or so of these merchants where I happen to get a sale during the "final" period (even though I didn't change my promos at all, but a sale happened anyway) and therefore end up being considered "active." If that happens, fine.

In any case, I'm never motivated to promote merchants who send these notices out any more or differently than I have been. And if they are too antagonizing, or their notice comes across like they think they're employers and affs are their slaves, I dump them. (Some AMs obviously have some delusion that their affiliates "need" their particular program in order to stay off Cardboard Box Ave...a very wrong idea!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast