Help! None of my links working!
    Hello - I am new to Share a Sale. I got approved by four merchants, and put code for all of them on my site. However, NONE of my links are working!

I've check the help section and have verified that 1) my code is correct 2) the merchants are online and 3) that I'm approved for all of them.

Is there some common thing that people do wrong? I'd like to post a url for someone to look at but it's against the rules. My site is at Organic-Baby-and-Mom(.com) and the a page that you can see one of my links is my Diaper Choices page (from the left nav bar) ... the gDiapers banner on the right of the page.

Please help! For all 4 merchants links I get "there is an error in your link code" message.

Thank you,
    Elizabeth

I dont know what you did but your code is not even close to being correct. Looks to me like you copied it and saved it to word then copied and pasted it. Word adds extra stuff to the code.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

OK - I just checked your code for the banner you indicated. In the browser the link displays properly but in your page code the actual link has been changed a bit. Some software (for some reason) changes the ampersand symbol ( & ) into the code for the ampersand ( & ) - which is a bit weird because the code actually contains an ampersand.

So, to fix it - try going back to your page code and in the shareasale links replace each instance of & with a & and see if that works.

For example: this "......&urllink=&afftrack=" needs to look like this "......&urllink=&afftrack=" in your page HTML code for the link to work properly.

Hope that helps a bit.

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

15 years and counting
    Check the software you're using to publish your pages.
    FrontPage and WordPress are notorious to transform & in &

Your code looks like that:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=XXXXX&u=XXXXXX&m=XXXXX&urllink=&afftrack= 

It should be:

HTML Code:
    http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=XXXXX&u=XXXXXX&m=XXXXX&urllink=&afftrack=

Ok - I'm going to check the ampersand thing right now. Thanks a lot - this is driving me crazy! I'll let you know shortly ....

By the way, the HTML editor I use is Nvu.

Ok, well you are right, it is putting the "amp" next to the ampersands ... so, I corrected it, saved and it STILL adds that "amp"! Arrrrgghh!! How do you get your HTML editor to not do this conversion, even after you've corrected it?

Uh-Oh. I've never heard of that editor. But if there is no way to avoid that problem it might be time to get another editor. There are a lot of other instances where code cannot be "messed with" before you publish it.

Two things to try...
    1) Try editing those particular links in "HTML view" mode (or whatever that editor may call it) and then save it before going back to WYSIWYG mode.
    or...
    2) After you save the page, open it with a plain ol' text editor, make the code changes and re-save it.

One of those should serve as a work-a-round for awhile.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Beachy! Thank you!!!
    I had to open the page in notepad and do the find and replace and it worked. I've put in a ticket in the meantime to Nvu to see if they have another fix for this.

But dong this for now works and I thank you so much. Now I can make my fixes and get on with my day rather than spending all day on this!!

-Elizabeth

You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help.

Some have preferred to use Kompozer over the basic NVU.

Kompozer is based on NVU and is free/open source. I don't know if it will fix your problem but it is considered to be a more polished version of NVU by and large. Here's the link:

http://www.kompozer.net/

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    ummm, & is the same as &, I know it works. My website editor converts & into & sometimes. I don't like it, but it works just fine.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

ummm, & is the same as &
    Yep.. in the >Text< area, but in the link area, not so good.
    I just put the link in wordpad/notepad before, and no problems..

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I'm not making this up, here is a test page with a link. http://www.designitourselves.com/testlink.htm If you check the source code you'll see it that within the affiliate url it used & instead of &. I don't know what original poster's problem was, but it wasn't &
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by oranges
    I'm not making this up, here is a test page with a link. http://www.designitourselves.com/testlink.htm If you check the source code you'll see it that within the affiliate url it used & instead of &. I don't know what original poster's problem was, but it wasn't &
    It was.
    I checked the links again of OrganicMom with and without & and & is the problem. The links are redirected to http://www.shareasale.com/linkerror.html I tried also with and without &urllink= and &afftrack= or &afftrack=
    The link still don't work.
    But, I must say it's the first time I'm seeing SaS not redirecting properly with & Up to now SaS was working with & and your link is a good example.
    Even with & Shareasale was also tracking the sales. It's not the case with LinkShare, the link redirect but the commissions are not paid.
    Maybe Shareasale changed something lately.

mine work fine with & too, that's the way they come from SAS in the XHTML format. I took a look yesterday but since the issue was resolved I didn't post anything. I did see that she's using a cgi-bin perl counter that completely reformatted the links, with % as every other character, and an add on referer URL. As long as it's working I don't think it matters what format the links are in. Her pages had a DOCTYPE of HTML 4.01 Transitional and they should be able to use & but the DOCTYPE declaration was incomplete which can mess up a browser's interpretation of the code.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread