Front Page Support Is History
    My hosting company has informed me that as of Feb 26th, they will no longer support Front Page Exts on their servers. I knew Microsoft was graveciting the software, but now I need to make the change to another web site building program. I am hoping for some suggestions. Understand, I am a novice web builder who uses tables and builds his pages one at a time.

Suggestions for a decent replacement software would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

airstrip
    The best things in life are not things at all...

For me, nothing beats Macromedia Dreamweaver.

It has some very advanced functions I have never used (probly never will), but you can't beat it for straightforward html, tables, css, etc.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    You can still use FP without the server extensions, there's just some functionaility that you'll lose, like forms. Given the state of hacking, you probably don't want to be using FP's built-in form functionality regardless. So you might consider taking your time before deciding on what to switch to, the cessation of support also forces you to leave the functionality that the server extensions provided anyhow, whether you switch or stay, your urgency lies in replacing / fixing / coding what went away with the server extension functionality, you might be compounding your problem by having to overcome that at the same time you learn how to use a new editing toolset as well.

In any case, good luck to you!

You have two options, either of which will work. One, as Donuts says, is to stop using FrontPage extensions. You can still work on your computer, developing pages and sites, and then when you're ready to upload, use an FTP program instead of FrontPage itself to copy the files to the server.

The other option, if you do need or simply prefer to keep using FrontPage extensions, is to switch to a host that still offers them. We do, and there are many others.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The bulk of the FTP functions within FP do not require the server extensions, I know, that's what I use (often, but not always).

Other than that, Doctor Mike is exactly correct on all points, imo. And I'd add that the extensions are no longer changing, so all you need is a cooperative host, bound to be plenty of those around for a long time to come.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    The bulk of the FTP functions within FP do not require the server extensions, I know, that's what I use (often, but not always).

Other than that, Doctor Mike is exactly correct on all points, imo. And I'd add that the extensions are no longer changing, so all you need is a cooperative host, bound to be plenty of those around for a long time to come.
    Doctor Mike could probably guess the number of FP hosted websites out there. I still use FP98 and Frontpage 2003 on clients sites with multiple hosting outfits. As long as the hosting company don't screw up the .htaccess files both versions seem to work with most server extensions in place.

I have a few hosts where I have to use FrontPage 2003 if I need live server side updating. I'm too old to jump into the new Microsoft replacement to Frontpage. For now it's work local and FTP as Donuts & Mike said or battle FP 2003 learning curve and jump to it's hidden goodies... dynamic templates & remote/local site synronization
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

For what it's worth, Dreamweaver also offers the same functionality.. dynamic page updates & site synchcronization between local/remote (using "site management" features), as well as templates, if you so choose. The end result is still html code, which is easy to port elsewhere, if needed.

While these apps are handy, IMHO it's still important to try to learn underlying code. I've used html tables extensively, and recently started transitioning to css. WYSIWGY apps don't always generate the best code, I've learned that the hard way

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread