ABW Ambassador
    I brought this up in the "where did the oversetock forum go" but it sort of got buried.

I was wondering who gets the sale when a customer, who happens to have 2 or more plug-in programs like Ebates, WhenU, Upromise, etc... - goes to a merchant like Overstodck.

All of these plug-ins are part of the program, and all will "pop up" their thing when a customer lands on the page. So, who gets the sale??

Just curious.

Jim

Well, I'm sure Mike [& Charlie] will put this more eloquently, but the answer is - not the affiliate that generated the click through to begin with!

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I think the merchant has it worked out so if multiple "incent" popups from competing BHO's set their cookies ...they all self destruct and no one gets paid. They originally planned to let the last popup win the battle, but felt it was more to their advantage to take the branding as a popularity spiff and pocket 100% of the profits. Since BHO's by a freak of nature are born Deaf Mutes we might not get collaberation on this issue.

Usually it is all cured, or becomes a mute point, when the computer repairman has to remove ALL BHO's and spywarez applications to get the trashed system to work when more then 3 are invited to the cookie eating party.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    That I know. I'm just thinking, though, that as more and more of these shopping plug-in's come out, and all popup on the merchants site, that there could literally be a battle between the plug-in's to get credit for a particular sale.

Thus, was wondering who gets credit for the sale when multiple parasites are involved.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimh009:
    I was wondering who gets the sale when a customer, who happens to have 2 or more plug-in programs like Ebates, WhenU, Upromise, etc... - goes to a merchant like Overstock. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on the plug-ins installed ...

If it were yesterday ... and the user has SaHs installed and Upromise ... SaHs would auto redirect and steal the link and then both Upromise and whenU would then pop up, if the end user x'ed out of the Upromise they would be auto redirected to Upromise's link and WhenU's pop up would still keep popping every x minutes until x'ed.

If there is a specific merchant or technologies you want tested just say so

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Haiko,

Just what I wanted to know. Seems like a customer of a merchant who has 2 or more of these program installed gets treated to a literal popup hell and rediredction as all these technologies battle it out for the sale.

Can't imagine that all these pop-ups do much for impressing customers.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Usually it is all cured, or becomes a mute point, when the computer repairman has to remove ALL BHO's and spywarez applications to get the trashed system to work when more then 3 are invited to the cookie eating party. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    A friend of mine is a computer repairman by trade. He says that the parasitic downloads are the number one reason people bring in their computers. None of the parasitic downloads truly function well on their own, and none of them seem to care about other functions on the computer, either.

After a while, they begin to destroy other computer functions, making the computer a worthless pile of junk until all the cr@p is removed. Then, strangely enough they start working again!

Consumers will eventually get fed up with this and demand that laws be enacted to prevent these software downloads from taking over their computers in such a way. And the TOS will have to be more user friendly, so that people truly understand what they're in for.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not sure about laws, but almost certainly people, after being burned once, will pretty much stop downloading ANY software online that isn't from places such as Microsoft, Macromedia, Apple, etc...

Having been burned twice myself from computer downloads of free software, I pretty much refuse to install and download any software online. You just never know what you're gonna get.

Jim

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread