Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    eBay Sellers Boycott
    Expect less $$ from Ebay this week.

Yahoo Finance video story
    Last edited by Leader; March 3rd, 2008 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Link was causing side-scrolling, used SFCom's suggestion & tinyurl'd it

ABW Ambassador
    Won't notice a thing.

On the video - 276 million registered users, 637 million new listings added last quarter of 2007. That's where all the action is. I don't agree with some of their proposed latest moves and they can change that maybe but ebay isn't going anywhere. It might be good for a little attention to their concerns.

Do you think this is what is affecting eBay's current 7-day EPC - down to $3? Anyone else seeing a drop in eBay commissions in the last few days or is it just me?

ABW Ambassador
    The boycott? It just started yesterday. It's not going to have any affect on the EPC. There have been boycotts before, just trying to get their attention. It's not like buyers are going to go to ebay and say wow, there are less sellers today. Check out the 3 month graph, starting in Sep. 2007, been going up. 7 Day EPC, down a little bit. Actually our EPCs should be going up, the new fees are supposed to kick in tomorrow, more money for us.

Actually, it could increase conversions. If there are fewer listings to buy from (if demand is the same) then % of listings that meet reserve/with a winning bid or buy it now will increase. Plus add into the mix that tax refunds are flowing in and it was a perfect time of year for this.

-sfcom

PS: The OP's URL is a perfect case for using tinyurl

It just started yesterday. It's not going to have any affect on the EPC.
    Well it will on mine. Listings in my niche category are down 18% from the same time yesterday and it's only the first day. You still have lingering listings from those that will stop for the week.

If there are fewer listings to buy from (if demand is the same) then % of listings that meet reserve/with a winning bid or buy it now will increase.
    Disagree again. Less listings = Less selection = Less buying.... IMO

Will it make a difference in the long run for eBay, maybe not. But I do think this will be the biggest boycott so far. Look for a free (or almost free) listing day in the middle of it to try and offset the low listings.

Ok, I promised myself I would just look at the latest postings and not get involved in any threads this morning since I've got a full plate today. But....

As an eBay power seller for about four years now we're pretty up to date on the happenings. Yes, eBay is making some changes that I don't agree with and some others that I believe are for the better. That being said, this thread is the first I've heard of any boycott and I would suggest this statement probably applies to all but a minuscule percent of a fraction of a percent of eBay sellers. I highly doubt that a drop in the bucket number of sellers will even know about a boycott, let alone take part in one. I can't imagine that anything they do will make a difference in the number of listings. In fact, if there's a chance that other sellers are reducing their listings, I'm inclined to list all the more with the potential of less competition.

Nuff said, I'm getting back to work!

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Wow Boomers you must be really busy if it's the first time you heard of it. It's been getting national attention for at least a week and a half, if not longer.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    It's been getting national attention for at least a week and a half, if not longer.
    I guess I need to install a loud speaker here that's tied to the national media and constantly streaming the business news. Since gathering that kind of info is voluntary and not force fed I suspect that it's probably not common knowledge among eBay sellers.

There you go, sucking me in again...

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Ummmyeaok.

I was just mentioning that I've heard it before and I haven't been on eBay in years.

It would be interesting to know how many eBay sellers on ABW know about the boycott and how many have/will participate. Is there a way to set up a poll here?

ABW Ambassador
    There are more than 15,000 posts about it on the Ebay forums.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.js...=1203458259282

I've helped launch and fuel boycotts in the past, and I certainly believe in the power of boycotts to force a business to change its practices. And in this case, eBay's feedback change is a huge issue that is likely to cost both eBay and its customers millions (perhaps billions) of dollars in additional costs and lost sales. (Indeed, the apparent idiocy of the policy change actually makes me wonder if eBay announced it just so it could later repeal it, showing that it listens to its members -- but by doing so, it distracts from the fee increases. Yes, I am cynical.)

But I just don't see this as a boycott-worthy change. Yes, eBay is changing its fees, which will increase for many sellers. Yes, eBay is implementing a major change to feedback which will result in increased numbers of "problem bidders" frustrating merchants. But even if a one-week boycott were successful (for example, if the number of auction listings dropped by 10% or 20% or even 50% this week), I'm not sure the boycott itself will have that much impact, in part because the boycott isn't clearly about just one issue.

I sell stuff on eBay intermittently -- never as a primary business activity, but more than your typical casual seller (current feedback is 632), and in fact this past week I listed a dozen lots (of books and collectible pewter figurines) to clear some shelf space. I won't be listing anything this week, but it's not because of a "boycott" or eBay policy changes.

I don't think this forum would be representative of eBay sellers generally (thus I think a poll would be largely a waste of effort), and ultimately eBay's attention will be focused on three raw numbers: How many sellers (as a % of all active sellers) will post no listings this week? How many listings are posted this week, compared to last week and compared to this-week-last-year? How much fee revenue does eBay collect this week, compared to last week and this-week-last-year?

Nice little boycott site I saw: boycottvictoriously-dot-c

-sfcom

The people who sell 1 of a kind type stuff for auction are pretty much locked into ebay.
    The people who have ebay stores w/fixed prices have plenty of other places to sell. They might check out amazon or yahoo stores and find out they like it better. I don't know.

I think some people resent being pushed toward paypal all the time too.

ABW Ambassador
    "How many listings are posted this week, compared to last week and compared to this-week-last-year?"

And even then, it's just a week. Even if the numbers are lower after the numbers are in, the week is over, back to business. I know some will probably do it longer but I think they'll just ride this week out and any bad press that comes of it.

I think this boycott is like a flee trying to force the hand (hoof, foot...what does an elephant have??) of an elephant. I personally am not willing to give up a week of sales to try to influence the giant with measures that are questionable at best. Especially for policy changes that I'm just mildly concerned about.

There were 200,000 less auctions in the baseball trading card sector then there was befor ethe new pricing kicked in
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Ok, boycott or whatever, I had 4 ZERO commission ebay sales yesterday. (never happened before, all different sellers and buyers) Sale price of the products ranged from $7 to $34. Any Idea what happened?

There are calculation issues from Sunday and Monday. Likely more than the 0's are incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    It would be interesting to know how many eBay sellers on ABW know about the boycott and how many have/will participate. Is there a way to set up a poll here?
    I'm an eBay seller and I didn't know about the boycott until I read this thread.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I didn't know about it either, until this thread.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Perhaps the average eBay seller is too busy selling things to bother with boycotts...

Check out your editor kit listings. All auctions are displaying pictures. When searching at eBay's site, they still only show the little camera if the seller didn't opt into paying for a gallery image when placing the listing before 2/20; however, all items are displaying for affiliates. This is great. I think it will help sales a lot.

I've already had two active registrations today.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I've helped launch and fuel boycotts in the past, and I certainly believe in the power of boycotts to force a business to change its practices. And in this case, eBay's feedback change is a huge issue that is likely to cost both eBay and its customers millions (perhaps billions) of dollars in additional costs and lost sales. (Indeed, the apparent idiocy of the policy change actually makes me wonder if eBay announced it just so it could later repeal it, showing that it listens to its members -- but by doing so, it distracts from the fee increases. Yes, I am cynical.)

But I just don't see this as a boycott-worthy change. Yes, eBay is changing its fees, which will increase for many sellers. Yes, eBay is implementing a major change to feedback which will result in increased numbers of "problem bidders" frustrating merchants. But even if a one-week boycott were successful (for example, if the number of auction listings dropped by 10% or 20% or even 50% this week), I'm not sure the boycott itself will have that much impact, in part because the boycott isn't clearly about just one issue.

I sell stuff on eBay intermittently -- never as a primary business activity, but more than your typical casual seller (current feedback is 632), and in fact this past week I listed a dozen lots (of books and collectible pewter figurines) to clear some shelf space. I won't be listing anything this week, but it's not because of a "boycott" or eBay policy changes.

I don't think this forum would be representative of eBay sellers generally (thus I think a poll would be largely a waste of effort), and ultimately eBay's attention will be focused on three raw numbers: How many sellers (as a % of all active sellers) will post no listings this week? How many listings are posted this week, compared to last week and compared to this-week-last-year? How much fee revenue does eBay collect this week, compared to last week and this-week-last-year?
    Mark, to me the most "boycott-worthy" reason is the changes regarding search results and "best match" becoming the default. Personally, if I were still selling regularly on ebay (I'm not) I would be seeing a MASSIVE fee increase, but that isn't the biggest issue that concerns me. They can do what they want with the fees and I would still probably pay them for selling most things- assuming the same exposure and chance of selling that I used to enjoy in the past. Right there is the catch. Going forward, you simply cannot assume that your ebay listings will receive any exposure at all. They might. They might not. The greatest problem that I can see, is that many sellers' items will never, ever be able to reach page one of search results and / or page one of the buy-->browse page for their categories. If you enjoy optimizing your sites for the "google dance" you'll really have fun with the new ebay! It looks to me like "Best Match" optimizing every single item will now be necessary in order to make sales. Personally, I'd rather spend the time optimizing my own sites for google.

A seller who can never reach page one stands very little chance of selling. (source of this info: data collected from sellathon.com, plus personal experience.) Thanks to these changes, many items will essentially be invisible on the ebay site. Even pre-changes, visibility has been a huge problem in categories like the art category; the art category has been glutted with featured plus auctions for years. Now I think visibility problems will be much more far reaching, and will affect a huge percentage of sellers.

There is also a risk that listings will become stale in categories like the art category. Doesn't matter quite so much in the widgets category where one widget is as good as the next, but in the art category I think it will become difficult (or impossible?) to sell anything that's not a Picasso, Monet or similar. (And ebay is already overrun with fakes of those anyway.)

It seems to me that occasional sellers and new sellers will be at a tremendous disadvantage under the new system. It won't be a "level playing field" at all, but even sellers whose items are buried on page 392 are still going to be paying high fees.

Have any of you who sell on ebay ever tried to figure out the "best match" algorithm? I have. I'll put it like this. For the few specific items I've tested so far, I think it's easier to get to page one of google search results. Things may have changed because I did my testing when ebay express and "Best match" were originally rolled out. That was awhile ago. That's also why I'm here working on affiliate marketing rather than trying to sell on ebay any more. I could kinda see the "writing on the wall" and I didn't like the direction ebay was taking then. I like it even less now. In hindsight, I'm really glad I made the move. Keep in mind- I have 100% pos. FB on ebay, and close to 100% sell through, and my items were STILL buried.

I tend to think that past ebay boycotts have been counterproductive, but in this case I am behind the boycott as both a seller and buyer. Lately I buy a lot more on ebay than I sell. I do think that most buyers on ebay are also sellers. So maybe the boycott will affect their bottom line, if only slightly. I don't know that it will do any good, but I'm participating just on the off chance that it will.

I am also focusing on promoting my shareasale merchants this week instead of working on my ebay promotions.

Those who are interested can check ebay auction counts using medved:

http://www.medved.net/cgi-bin/cal.exe?EIND

For what it's worth, I've had 0 commissions from ebay in the past few days. That doesn't mean much of anything. I normally get a few ebay sales a day, but my sites are new enough that it's not statistically significant when I don't make any sales at all.

Tracy- glad there's a bright spot in there somewhere! Thanks for posting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast