PPC Campaign Scaling
    While I've done pretty well w/PPC AM, I've always wished I was more effective at scaling profitable PPC campaigns to new heights of volume and profitability. Truth is, I usually only experience a small increase in either.

Here's what I typically have done:
    -increased budget (full campaign level and/or keyword level)
    -put advertising at 'accelerated' (vs. spread out)
    -tried other search engines (sometimes including Tier II/III)
    -expanded successful keywords vertically and laterally
    -expanded (as possible) countries/regions/languages

Like I said, my gains have been modest by and large.

There was a post of the topic of scaling today at uberaffiliate that adds other factors to consider. Here is the gist/outline of the methods he uses to scale:

Scaling Method #1 - Expand on Keywords
    Scaling Method #2 - New Traffic Sources (More Search engines)
    Scaling Method #3 - Increase Bid Prices
    Scaling Method #4 - Work on Ad CTR
    Scaling Method #5 - Work on Landing Page CTR
    Scaling Method #6 - Negotiate Higher Payouts
    Scaling Method #7 - Test Different Offers
    Scaling Method #8 - The Whitelabel (going direct w/a merchant)

The full post is here: http://uberaffiliate.com/

What other approaches to campaign scaling do you use?

What approach seems most effective in scaling in PPC?

-OTProf

One wonders... the first thing that guy says on that page you mention is that essentially he's keeping the best ideas to himself...
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by La_Valette
    One wonders... the first thing that guy says on that page you mention is that essentially he's keeping the best ideas to himself...
    Yea I agree -- I'd guess that most people don't reveal their best stuff. Still, his summary of scaling seems valid. As for me, I just keep thinking I'm missing some obvious principle in scaling ... though I might be more like the dude in your sig!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OTProf
    -put advertising at 'accelerated' (vs. spread out)
    Accelerated can make your budget burn up before the evening arrives, often good for B2B selling, but often not good for B2C selling. And if your budget caps are sufficiently large (meaning your daily budget limit doesn't get hit), this setting won't make any difference. Think of it like... "if I don't have enough money to cover the whole day, burn it as fast as possible or pace it out over the day". So if you have enough to cover, there's no difference.

You can combine this setting with dayparting to create some interesting scenarios as well, as in, start burning it at 9am eastern and burn without limits... might work well for selling B2B services... Or if what you sell is to kids in school, might set it to start burning at 3pm.

As for scaling, if you're pushing to reach more, do that by having a sufficiently high daily budget limit where this feature is not in play.

-tried other search engines (sometimes including Tier II/III)
    2nd tier engines rot and are a waste of time. Your involvement with them spreads shitware by helping them monetize their nefarious ad inventory liquidating tactics. The vast majority of people can be reached at GYM, going further unscales your time, the opposite of your intentions.

[QUOTE=OTProf]Scaling Method #1 - Expand on Keywords
    Scaling Method #2 - New Traffic Sources (More Search engines)
    Scaling Method #3 - Increase Bid Prices
    Scaling Method #4 - Work on Ad CTR
    Scaling Method #5 - Work on Landing Page CTR
    Scaling Method #6 - Negotiate Higher Payouts
    Scaling Method #7 - Test Different Offers
    Scaling Method #8 - The Whitelabel (going direct w/a merchant)
    [QUOTE=OTProf]

Where's improve conversion rates? Scale isn't always just volume, greater profits / income can be "scaled" through higher a CR.

Something else to consider here, diminishing returns. Instead of milking one more quart from this cow you've yanked on all day, get a second cow, then a third. True scaling means knowing when you've reached the point of diminishing returns and you instead turn to layer in the sweet part of something new and different. This path yields more rewards for your work, build stronger skillsets, improves critical thinking, broadens your industry knowledge and most importantly, provides diversity in your income stream that will warm the cockles of your heart when sector downturns occur (and they always will).

As an affiliate, you have nearly limitless opportunities to be in different sectors, leverage that into scale and you'll reap many benefits.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Great information Donuts and awesome post as always. The only thing I disagree with is that not all second tier engines are a waste.

With PPC advertising, I have found a few second tier engines that are built specifically within the niche you are going after and do turn good results as their traffic is very targeted. Some of them are a vertical searches that have loyal members and forums to keep them coming back, others rank well in other search engines for targeted terms and they send in good traffic, while others do heavy industry advertising and exhibiting to help generate traffic. These engines are ones that can have your target audience searching and make your ppc worth the spend.

With that said, yes, most that I have run into are just a way to waste money and I agree with Donuts on that as well, but if you do dig deep and get into the industry or niche you are going for, some of the second tiers can be very profitable for you. They are few and far between, but they are there.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Donuts --

Good thoughts indeed.

On 2nd tier, I've tried 2 or 3. Kandoodle is a waste of time/$, but I've actually had positive ROI with Ask which I think is a legit operation - no? I've considered Miva as well.

I meant to add another way I've tried to scale -- expanding from G only to the G Search Network. I've normally started campaigns pretty tight - including G only as for search. I've never tried the content network -- except unintentionally a time or two!!

Also, I've tried to be more intentional in A/B testing as well as having a more ongoing testing paradigm (be sure to tell Google to show ads evenly to have a true A/B test -- the G default is to optimize your ads) in order to (as you note) bump up CTR and conversions.

Dayparting -- need to try that. As you imply, there are no doubt combos of products and demographics that match nicely at certain times of the day & night.

Your final thought - EUREKA! This is what I have started to do -- largely in frustration from having minimal gains getting more 'milk' from my handful of cows.... I think you are spot on that this is both a great way to 'scale' (though from a different angle) and (very importantly) provides diversification in one's income stream. I've had a few great merchants end their affiliate programs, dramatically change their terms, & c. and it is a great idea to spread things out. I'm trying to do this at the moment via merchants, niches within my main network, but I need to do this across multiple networks to really have ideal diversification. Unfort, my forays into networks like Share A Sale and Performics have not impressed me, while my good earnings w/Linkshare take forever to get!! But -- this is obviously revealing areas where I need to get more creative & so forth.

Cheers!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    On 2nd tier, I've tried 2 or 3. Kandoodle is a waste of time/$, but I've actually had positive ROI with Ask which I think is a legit operation - no? I've considered Miva as well.
    Yep, Kanoodle is junk. So is Miva (formerly FindWhat).

Q: How many people go to Kanoodle.com or Miva.com to perform a search?
    A: Almost none, their ads are distributed through partnerships with portals (some shady) and through adware channels. These parties policing of their partners is virtually non-existent, and that's intentional.

Ask is a decent engine itself (meaning people do search there and many do enjoy it's look and search results, garnering perhaps a 3-4% share of online searches), but Ask/AskJeeves was born from an adware / spyware company and many of their toolbar tricks remain. Google is ad channel partner for Ask. So if you use AdWords, your ads will show on Ask, and you'll get Google's click fraud policing layered in. So yes, use Ask, but only trough Google's search network partners, not directly through Ask themselves, where their policing and partnerships (excluding the Google one, which is an input to Ask, not an output ad channel) resemble the other 2nd tier turds.

If you watched the recent episode where an email company got botted from AdWords, you know the Ask guys know the deal - screw over G's AdWords partners pumping ads to Ask via AdWords and you'll get bit on the ass and it'll be public. Rest assured Ask will behave themselves for a long time to come regarding the G ads they display.

I meant to add another way I've tried to scale -- expanding from G only to the G Search Network. I've normally started campaigns pretty tight - including G only as for search. I've never tried the content network -- except unintentionally a time or two!!
    It's time for you to experiment with it. The G content network reached a low point a few years ago and has been getting stronger and stronger as G learns better how their bad AdSense partners bone them and their advertisers.

Treat the content network within AdWords as something completely different from the G (G itself) and G Search Network - run G Content in completely different campaigns altogether. There's more to doing it well in the Content Network, best left for another day. This is intentional on my part - separate the way you think and talk about Content, it is a different beast altogether and needs different techniques to be tamed.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts

It's time for you to experiment with it. The G content network reached a low point a few years ago and has been getting stronger and stronger as G learns better how their bad AdSense partners bone them and their advertisers.

Treat the content network within AdWords as something completely different from the G (G itself) and G Search Network - run G Content in completely different campaigns altogether. There's more to doing it well in the Content Network, best left for another day. This is intentional on my part - separate the way you think and talk about Content, it is a different beast altogether and needs different techniques to be tamed.

Good luck!
    OK - Delayed response due to Affiliate Summit detour!!

I'm taking your advice to give G content a go. I just set up a 'starter' campaign with a company/product that has done very well in standard search. I set up a completely different campaign and elected to select the sites on which the ads will show manually. For me, this is a more controlled way to put my toes in the content waters. Also, I've set up a different tracking set up so I can see if/when sales come through this channel. I'll also give the image ads a try once I figure out how!!

I will be really excited if this starts to pan out as there are so many ways to further experiment & tweak things on the content side.

Thanks much for your insights & patience, Donuts

Google Content Video Ads
    By the way, on the Google content video ad option, anyone have suggestions as to programs for making these videos? We have both a Mac & PC set up.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread