Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Sharper Image & Lillian Vernon File for Bankruptcy
    After Years of Declining Sales, Sharper Image, Lillian Vernon File for Bankruptcy.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080220/retail_bankruptcies.html

I cases like this should we remove their links?

Weird...
    Sharper Image going bankrupt?

I thought charging double for products would lead to great success..

Heh. Sharper Image going down... this was only a matter of time, I think. Aren't they in Sky Mall magazine? I always liked reading that on planes and laughing at the inane products (and even more inane prices).
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    Sky Mall has a program too at LS. I'm sure letting all the parasites poach them probably didn't help.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Same thing might be happening with Red Envelope.

http://www.stockhouse.com/mediascan/...ewsid=10192972

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    I cases like this should we remove their links?
    I was wondering the same thing. But I do like Lilian Vernons products. There's other stores though.

sharper image was a scam to begin with

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Code Monkey
    Sharper Image going bankrupt?

I thought charging double for products would lead to great success..
    They needed to sell half as much to stay even................
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I pulled my links.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Sharper Image files for Bankruptcy
    Hi all.

Sharper Image Files for Bankruptcy Following Losses

The part that really concerns me is that they owe me a lot of money for December. Their aff. contact says that she doesn't know how this will affect aff. payments.

Has this happened to any of you before? Did you get burned? What can I do if they don't pay?

Thanks in advance!

15 years and counting
    I'm so glad it's finally happening.
    Their partership with uPromise to steal affiliate commission was really too much.

I still remember their answer Dec 2005
    "The uPromise relationship we have is completely separate from the Linkshare affiliate program. The logo agreement is in conjunction with an offline relationship we have with them. You'll see their logo in our stores as well.
    These logos will not be removed.
    I'm sorry if we have to lose you as an affiliate because of this.
    Please let me know if you have any other questions.
    Thank you.
    ~Natalie Pietrzykowski
    Internet Marketing Manager
    nataliep@sharperimage.com"

Affiliate Manager JusticeforGirls's Avatar
    Sigh. Bankruptcy. Been there. If a company files for bankrupcy than they are not legally allowed to pay any debts they have at that point. It's an Affiliate Manager and Affiliate's nightmare.

15 years and counting
    Especially with LinkShare. LinkShare has the bad habit to hide the bankrupcy of their merchants up to the last limit, providing links that are not commissionable. I got caught several times and I will never forget what the Messers did.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by abelony
    Has this happened to any of you before? Did you get burned? What can I do if they don't pay?
    I got burned when Delta Air Lines (a Linkshare merchant) filed for bankruptcy protection a few years ago. They didn't pay any of their pre-bankruptcy filing outstanding commissions. Linkshare never deactivated Delta and they are still a Linkshare merchant to this day. It's unlikely you'll see any of your pre-2/20 outstanding commissions. I don't think you can get any tax benefit from it either.

Bankruptcy rules are complicated. Depending on whether its a chapter 7, 11, or 13.

if a merchant files for bankruptcy, they don't pay their debts from before the filing. if they then reorganize and stay in business, then all debts from after the filing become payable. thats why Delta is still an active merchant, the company is still in business. this situation comes up whenever a merchant declares bankruptcy, and there is no way to know ahead of time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abelony
    Hi all.

Sharper Image Files for Bankruptcy Following Losses

The part that really concerns me is that they owe me a lot of money for December. Their aff. contact says that she doesn't know how this will affect aff. payments.

Thanks in advance!
    Sure... Cyberian Outpost -Martha Stewart -Pets.com etc. etc.

Sharper Image counts on sales of it's Ionic Breeze piece of ozone pumping & polluting air purifier for foot traffic. Calif passed laws ( other states following suit) barring the sale of air purifiers that emit ozone above the FDA max levels. Some bad PR over Consumer test labs reports, lost law suits, and reliance on some over priced in-store gadgets, just added to dwindling profits. Surprised they didn't send out the draconian email notice to book so many sales befor eX cut off date your your history...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager JusticeforGirls's Avatar
    if a merchant files for bankruptcy, they don't pay their debts from before the filing. if they then reorganize and stay in business, then all debts from after the filing become payable.
    Unfortunately, those "payable" debts have to be released by bankruptcy court. Which can take years. And, in cases where an acquisition is the end to the bankruptcy, the original business entity will still exist, but the courts will determine who is responsible for those debts. And that takes longer still.

I was sure they will bankrupt since 2006 because of bad results posted at that time.
    Affiliates SHOULD look for info on merchants before they heavily promote them (massive PPC or exclusivity)
    [URL=http://www.pexcornel.com]Pexcornel blog[/URL]

Stefanie,

Agreed. my point was that this is all very complicated and in response to a few earlier posts, its not necessarily up to linkshare, they have to abide by the rules of the bankruptcy courts, which determines even if they have to leave a merchant as active. many merchants emerge from bankruptcy and continue as viable business, such as macys, etoys, kbtoys, the list goes on. it is up to each affiliate (or anyone doing business with that company) to decide to continue to work with them.

I would HIGHLY suggest pulling your links for Sharper Image given my past experiences with merchants declaring bankruptcy:

* Sam Goody/Musicland (through Performics) -- have not seen a penny. Declared in January 2006.

* SunRocket - have not seen a penny. Declared in July 2007.

Between the two of these, we're talking about >$10,000 in unpaid commissions.

15 years and counting
    Once the bankrupcy is declared, you can decide to put back your links or not. You should be paid. The problem is with networks like LinkShare extending credit to their merchants at the expense of the affiliates during six months or more before the bankrupcy. The reports telling us when the merchant paid for the last time are not so old.

So, I may be screwed!?

Is it even worth contacting a lawyer?

15 years and counting
    Last payment made by Sharper Image was for Oct, 2007. Everything after that will not be paid. So it's near 4 months of unpaid commissions. I've never been able to get more than 10% of the commissions owned even for commisions over 6 figures and I had to wait several years, last one over 5 years.

There's one merchant listed awaiting payment every month since Sept 2007, 3 Hour Diet at Home/Purfoods. 6 months of unpaid commissions still with active links. EARN $55 PER SALE! What's wrong with linkShare?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    What has really gotten me pissed are merchants that, with absolutely no notice, file banktuptcy, close down their website, wiping out all affiliate links, and diasappear, only to re-appear a year or so later, with a new site, a new affiliate program, and start soliciting affiliates, promoting their fabulous new program, with absolutely no mention of how they screwed affiliates in the past.

2 merchants that come to mind that did this were Spilsbury and Kitchensetc.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast