Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Things that just rub you wrong
    OK, so I go into my corner convenience store today to get my morning red bull. I take a cup, fill it with ice and grab a large can ($2.99) of bull.

I get to the counter and she rings up the red bull and then adds $0.35 for the cup and ice. I've noticed this a lot lately at places that have soda machines. I try to explain to the counter worker that the policy of charging for a cup of ice was intended to recoup cup costs when people are just getting a cup with ice and not buying a soft drink.

Unknowingly she offers the canned reply that "it is to cover our cost for cups." I point out to her that they sell a 16 oz machine dispensed soda for $0.79 and it includes the cup and ice. I then explain to her that this leaves her store about $0.38 profit after an approximate cup cost of $0.07 per cup.

I then explain that a large can of red bull cost them $1.39 - $1.59 and they sell it for $2.99, which leaves a profit of $1.40 - $1.60 per. She "astutely" comes back with: "the machine dispensed drinks include the cup because you are purchasing a drink from us." I ask her if a large can of red bull is considered a drink and she says "sure, but it is not from our fountain machine." Duh...

I then explain that by purchasing a red bull, I am giving them far more profit than they get on a fountain drink, and again suggest that she therefore not insult a regular customer by charging extra for a cup to put it in. She however is incapable of applying common sense logic and says they have to charge for cups because "people are always coming in and just getting a cup and ice." Duh!! Sometimes, people just don't apply basic common sense to their business policies.

This gave me an idea because I've seen / experienced many comparable business / service policies that to any thinking person would just rub you wrong. With that in mind, I wanted to start a thread where people can post similar illogical things they have experienced. So what is yours?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Hey Alan

You should have told her that there is plenty of snow and ice outside and it does not make sense to charge for the ice.

My beef is people pushing you out of the way to be first out a door and not holding the door open for you when you are behind them. Manners people
    Jamie
    Affiliate Manager
    Share Results Affiliate Network
    Join the Share Results Affiliate Network today! [URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php]http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php [/URL]
    e. jamie@shareresults.com
    t. 514-849-8595
    www.shareresults.com

I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world. - Muhammad Ali

Why don't you take the matter up with a manager? Poor employee. They don't have the authortiy to give you a cup for free because they don't make the rules.

Also, speaking from experience...I worked through college at a convenience store. Cups are often used as a means for physical inventory of unsold fountain drinks. Weird, I know. Since the number of various sized drinks from the syrup canisters cannot be accurately calculated, this is the only way. Got 100 cups? Take 100 times the price of a drink in that cup. Everything goes through the register and then it tells the ordering system when to get more cups.

If you really wanna know what I think: Don't buy Red Bull at a convenience store. But it at Costco or Sam's club instead.

We are masters of our own worlds. Take a few minutes in a service employee's shoes and you will realize how little they are actually paid for the shite we put them through.

-sfcom

My illogical beef HAS to be with Comcast Cable. I pay them $169 a month for my internet, phone and cable and generally, when it is working, all is good. But God forbid if your cable box goes down because:
    - yes, you do try to fix it yourself first - 30 minutes
    - next, the brutal phone call to customer service - 20 to get thru
    - on hold for at least 10
    - need to transfer you
    - get disconnected
    - start all over
    - finally get a rep who wants all the information you already entered into your phone to verify account AND you already gave it to the person who hung up on you the first time
    - then, they treat you like an idiot - step 1. is it plugged in?
    - then....the unbelievable we need you to reset the box
    - still broke
    - transfer to tech support ( in India? )
    - I did reset it - it still doesnt work
    - what do you mean you need my account number? I gave it to ya'll 3 times already
    - replace my box? Oh OK good. Can I just come down to the comcast store?
    - oh....that store doent have HDMI converters at that location
    - crap! rasha humeanistan just disconnected me
    - start over - 1.5 hours later
    - yes...yes....yes.....
    - OK - when can I be home? Anytime....I just want my box fixed so I can watch the Superbowl in HD - Next Thursday? Superbowl is Sunday.
    -Fine....What ? I have to be there between 1 and 5? A 4 hour window?
    - 5:30 next Thursay I get the call....I AM RUNNING LATE
    - Al Bundy finally shows up at 7:00
    - runs a diagnostics test....
    - I think your box might be bad
    - I dont have any on the truck
    - Let me see what I can do for you though
    - I can bring one out Saturday between 8-12
    - But I have plans!
    - How about Monday
    - New box shows up, he installs it and leaves
    - TV is now all screwed up - not showing wide format anymore....
    - I call customer service
    see first 5 sentences of story
    - "Thank you for calling Comacast it is my goal to give you OUTSTANDING service to day Mr. IOWNIE.....how can I assist you"

Did I mention I PAY THEM $169 a month for this abuse? !!!!!!!!!

I'm with you, Alan. There's all kinds of really dumb reasons for the things we endure, but that doesn't mean they make sense to us, the customer.

I had a situation last month at a major chain pharmacy. The doctor called in an authorization for a refill for Dave so I wouldn't have to wait when I went to pick it up. When I finally got a turn at the counter, I asked for a ion called in earlier in the day for Dave Moore.

"Nope, we don't have anything. I'll ask the pharmicist. What was it for?" I told them I couldn't remember the name, but it was used for blood thinning. I also showed him which one of the two scrips from last week that it was. He came back and said that they hadn't received the call and it wasn't on voicemail either.

So I dialed the Dr's office and asked them about it. Elizabeth said she had talked to the pharmacist personally and got an affirmative answer and if I would hold, I could watch her make the phone ring back there again. I watched the pharmacist pick up the phone and talk. Then she came up to me at the counter and said they were confused because I asked for it wrong.

Nowadays, medical privacy requires that customers stand 3-4 feet back from the counter so that conversations can't be overheard. Needless to say, the dozen people crowded into this little area had heard me from the first sentence and they all tried to choke back their laughter when I asked if the confusion came when I came to a pharmacy to ask for a ion or when I told them the name and pointed to it on the computer screen.

I understand being busy to the point of overwhelm, and I understand stupid corporate rules, but I don't understand rude and the need to transfer blame rather than just say "Sorry, we messed up".

One of my "favourites" from restaurants in Switzerland is an item on the menu which is a combo of list of things you can order separately ... and the combo actually costs more then the individual items would add up to.

Thankfully, I've never seen that in America ... yet ...

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    Why don't you take the matter up with a manager? Poor employee. They don't have the authortiy to give you a cup for free because they don't make the rules. sfcom
    I was not seeking advice on how to handle poor logic. I know very well how to handle that, but thank you for your well intended suggestion. In this case the person behind the counter WAS the owner and they do not keep track of their drink sales through cup inventory. As an owner of drive thru coffee businesses, I know well the costs involved for cups. I also know that if someone buys a non coffee drink from us that I am not going to insult them by charging extra for a cup. Just sound business thinking...

I also did not post the thread as a complaint center. It is written for the purpose of having fun discussing some of the illogical policies others run into in the course of daily life.

As for Sams or Costco, They know me by name when it comes to red bull, but sometimes in the early morning, a quick trip to the C store saves time.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    It appears you may have a loophole here... when did that state of emergency get declared for the hurricane that hit your area? when did they start charging for ice?

http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/...5?OpenDocument

Print it out and explain that the emergency hasn't been lifted from your shorts yet, and at your age, it's unlikely to ever get lifted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alan, as a global warming disciple and devotee, you're aware that the true cost of ice in terms of energy, both is production and storage, and its deleterious effects on our environment are far more costly than what you're being charged... perhaps you could learn to drink it hot... like your temper...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tell her how much you and the boys down at the Immigration Office just love free ice in your Red Bull...

(before anyone pulls out the ethnic or race card, i've been to Alan's store - it's either a foreign born worker chick... or an 80-something year old oxygen bottle sucker who's probably a rogue albanian serb cleverly disguised as feeble...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bring your own cup in one day and haggle them down on the ice... once it's settled that the ice is free, bring your very large igloo cooler down there with a piece of duct tape on it that says "cup"...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ask her if there's a discount for people who don't turn them into the county food inspector's office for the 4 day old f'ing sausage sandwich sitting under the heat lamp...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bring in a cup full of tepid water and ask if they recycle...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ask them if using the microwave is free... if so, bring over some balls of tin foil and get busy...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bring a friend, have them get a cup full of ice each time and ask if it's free, when they are told no, have them walk out leaving it... volunteer to throw it away outside for them... always use the same friend for max effect...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

print out this story and leave a few copies there every time you visit:
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/woman...-into-car.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tell them your eco-car burns ice as fuel and that you demand they give you the cup for free since they don't dispense it with a nozzle like everyone else...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tell them your commodoties broker said it's a bad time to ice and cups and insist they sell you some may pork bellies and november oranges...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ask them if they have a lay-away plan for the cups of ice... when they say no, ask what the interest rate is... when they say there is no interest, say exactly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

byocoi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

show them this video and ask them if they're sure they want to irritate you by charging for ice:
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ca1_1179249628

Affiliate Manager JusticeforGirls's Avatar
    Why don't you take the matter up with a manager? Poor employee. They don't have the authortiy to give you a cup for free because they don't make the rules.
    I hate it that employers treat their employees like children who have to ask permission for everything. And then they wonder why employee theft is a problem. A sense of ownership is something that has to be passed down, not expected. The owner would probably give you a cup and ice and offer to pour the red bull for you, knowing you would come back everyday and spend money in his store.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Print it out and explain that the emergency hasn't been lifted from your shorts yet, and at your age, it's unlikely to ever get lifted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alan, as a global warming disciple and devotee, you're aware that the true cost of ice in terms of energy, both is production and storage, and its deleterious effects on our environment are far more costly than what you're being charged... perhaps you could learn to drink it hot... like your temper...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tell her how much you and the boys down at the Immigration Office just love free ice in your Red Bull...
    God Donuts (aka: "Ye") Too much man!! I had to wait till I stopped laughing so I could type. You probably never noticed, but I type pretty hard!! (hehe)

But don't get me started on Global warming... It's global warming that increases my thirst and and that's when I run to the C store for a bull and ice.

As for the oxygen tank cashier, she's been unconscious for nearly three months now. I was actually very disturbed to hear about that one.

You remember the little tank she kept behind the counter with the hose coming up to her nose? Well, it seems that when Apria (medical supply company) delivered her new tank back in October, they mistakenly delivered a tank of Nitrous Oxide. From what I hear, she laughed herself into a coma and she's been out ever since. (crash cimbal please)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwind&Brasswind
    I hate it that employers treat their employees like children who have to ask permission for everything. And then they wonder why employee theft is a problem. A sense of ownership is something that has to be passed down, not expected. The owner would probably give you a cup and ice and offer to pour the red bull for you, knowing you would come back everyday and spend money in his store.
    I think you missed the part where I said this WAS the owner, but I also hear you on how employees are sometimes treated.

Hey let's get back to other "rubs" that others experience - I bet there are a ton of them!! Pardon me but I'm still laughing over Ye's post. Dude, you need help. Serious Dr. Phil type help!!

On the flip side, I got comped a cup of coffee last week by my local gas station. Not by the owner either. Just by an employee that obviously feels empowered to make those decisions.

If someone buys a $1.00 cup of coffee 90 straight days, you can let them walk away every once in a while with their wallet still in their back pocket.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Inexperienced masseuses, they just rub me wrong. Shiatsu doesn't mean break bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    ...bring a friend, have them get a cup full of ice each time and ask if it's free, when they are told no, have them walk out leaving it... volunteer to throw it away outside for them... always use the same friend for max effect...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tell them your eco-car burns ice as fuel and that you demand they give you the cup for free since they don't dispense it with a nozzle like everyone else...
    The two funniest things I've read all day .

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton

I also did not post the thread as a complaint center. It is written for the purpose of having fun discussing some of the illogical policies others run into in the course of daily life.
    Yes, everyone please stick to the original point of the thread, which is what a cheapskate Alan is...lol. j/k

I also wasn't attacking you there Alan. I don't really even know you. But, I would suggest to you and everyone else here to not let the little things in life eat at you. Not a big deal, really. Just go on with your day and use your resources on a problem you actually can fix. Little battles like what you originally posted are a waste of productivity and blood pressure. Bring your own cup...get you some ice---problem solved.

Speaking of high octane drinks, has anyone else tried Bawls? Kinda tastes a bit like Sierra Mist. They used to sell it in CompUSA, but since going out of biz, I need to find another source.

-sfcom

I cannot stand it when MT. Dew comes shooting out of my nose, while reading forum posts

I cannot stand people with more than 10 items in the Express Lane!

and why does the guy think he can send me a check for $5000, but I have to send him $1000 back in cash??

corduroy rubs me wrong
    Respectfully,

John

----------------------------------------------
    work = Initiate Demand
    passion = Global Ground Work

Donuts obviously has been bottling up those thoughts for a LOOOOOONG time! LMAO and almost did a little tinkle in my pants reading them!

Speaking of illogical though: Why are the numbers on my phone
    *0#

but my key board is
    0 .

???

OK, normally a situation like the one I'm about to relate would really piss me off. In this case though, it was just so ludicrous that I could only laugh.

This past summer a buddy of mine and I went to a national fast food establishment (I won't tell you that it was Burger King). After placing our orders and paying for them we obediently waited for our trays to be populated with food. Once our trays were completed we noticed that we were both given small orders of French fries when we had both ordered and paid for large fries. After informing the counter person of the error, she took a look at our receipts, compared them to the order and replied "no problem" and promptly removed the small fries from our trays. She then retrieved the larger cardboard envelopes for the large fries and and proceeded to dump the small container of fries into the larger container. Once this process was finished she placed the larger container back on our trays and told us to have a good day.

OK, did you follow what just happened? My friend and I at this point are laughing so hard that we have tears in our eyes. In fact, everyone in line behind us was also in hysterics. We tried to explain to the young lady that we were in fact paying more money for what we perceived to be more fries not for a larger container to keep them in. The sad part is that she just didn't get it and didn't understand why everyone was laughing.

After several minutes of trying to explain the difference to her we just gave up and ate our small fries while giggling throughout the meal. We agreed that the entertainment value was well worth the difference in price. However we were somewhat concerned about how the poor young lady behind the counter would find her way home that evening as it had started to rain and we were sure her bread crumbs would be washed away.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

One thing that really gets my goat:
    Everytime I go to events there is this old dude that carries around a purse.

Thanks for sharing......I guess I will return the one I just bought for ASW.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    One thing that really gets my goat:
    Everytime I go to events there is this old dude that carries around a purse.
    Does he carry Red Bull in that purse?
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    On the flip side, I got comped a cup of coffee last week by my local gas station. Not by the owner either. Just by an employee that obviously feels empowered to make those decisions.

If someone buys a $1.00 cup of coffee 90 straight days, you can let them walk away every once in a while with their wallet still in their back pocket.
    I know this is a thread about being rubbed the wrong way, but like Noth, I got comped a coffee once because the order ahead of me was huge and I had to wait so long. Nice gestures like that are good ways to gain loyal customers. Perhaps we should have a "Things that rub you the right way" thread... I'm sure we could have a whole lot of fun with that.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Does he carry Red Bull in that purse?
    No... He carries cups and ice. They cost more in Vegas.

That would explain why the purse was dripping ...

Cool
    AMEN!!!!!

I have managed restaurants for years now and the customer is not always right.

They are rude as hell to the employees and everyone else and there is no way to please a lot of them no matter how hard you try too.

They come in drunk, on drugs, and everything else.

If they had a fight with their spouse they take it out on you.

Customers need to put themselves in place of the employees and see what it's really like.

And if you run a restaurant for a fast food chain the manager and the employees have no say so at all about the policies of the chain. You do what they tell you to do or you are fired but the customer takes it out on you instead of the chain who is really who causes the problems.

In the store you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom

Also, speaking from experience...I worked through college at a convenience store. Cups are often used as a means for physical inventory of unsold fountain drinks. Weird, I know. Since the number of various sized drinks from the syrup canisters cannot be accurately calculated, this is the only way. Got 100 cups? Take 100 times the price of a drink in that cup. Everything goes through the register and then it tells the ordering system when to get more cups.

If you really wanna know what I think: Don't buy Red Bull at a convenience store. But it at Costco or Sam's club instead.

We are masters of our own worlds. Take a few minutes in a service employee's shoes and you will realize how little they are actually paid for the shite we put them through.

-sfcom

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

McDonalds in Taiwan. If you don't stand directly behind the person in front of you somebody will cut. They figure the distance between you and that other person is enough to assume you've paid already. But what I love is when the employee sees what just happened and gets somebody to open a new register for you

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast