Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seeking Multi-Domain Hosting (again)
    I'm ready to throw in the towel with eApps.com, which I've used to host a bunch of domains since dropping my dedicated server last fall. All my domains (except two, which can be hosted elsewhere) are configured exactly the same way.

I've been annoyed at the number of steps required to add each new domain I register, and today I encountered a problem that tech support says is a "known bug" which they are able to "work around" but the work-around will add several extra steps every time I add a domain in the future. It's unclear whether the "known bug" is actually in the cpanel software or something else, but I don't think I want to use cpanel in the future because of the large number of steps to add and configure each new domain.

Can anyone suggest a hosting or dedicated server solution that would make it easier to manage multiple domains?

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I won't recommend my primary host because I don't like the amount of downtime. They are good with multiple domains but the downtime irks me.

However my secondary host is DownTownHost LLC and so far I am pleased. It's easy to add new domains.

Their support is excellent and I can't say enough because I had such a hard time with php and mysql and they were more than helpful. In fact they even moved my main site over for me within a few hours because I had no idea how to transfer a forum.

It looks like DownTown also uses cPanel, so I assume the steps would be the same to set up each new domain. In addition, they seem to provide very limited bandwidth for the base fees.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    It does use Cpanel but I don't know what you mean by large amount of steps to add a domain. I just click add new domain, type it in, and hit save. With my other host it's the same but it does not use Cpanel. Do other hosts offer a faster way?

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Mark, I've really been impressed with Hostican.com - their Tera-Host package offers 1000 GB, Unlimited Domain Names, Shell Access and Unmetered Monthly Bandwidth. I think you can get this package for around 10 bucks a month.

$10 a month??? For how many domain names? I am currently paying $175 a month for about 700 with 5 c class IP's? Liquidwebs $60 program could not handle my names for some reason.....

Time for a change or if enough of us ABWebbers get together we can start our own hosting company! I have a little capital put aside for this venture if anyone is interetsed!

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Says unlimited for the Tera-Host package. Check out their site (hostican.com)..

Have you tried Dreamhost? They offer many options and are very user friendly. I have less than a year of experience with websites and hosting, but have found Dreamhost's interface very easy to use.

They offer unlimited email and domains. They are also very reasonably priced (I pay $9.95/month). I have had very little, if no downtime and have found their CS great to deal with. They usually answer my support issues within an hour of my submitting them. I have a discount code where you can save $50 if you are interested.

I use bluehost, they have cpanel but I bought, and parked it with 2 clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE
    $10 a month??? For how many domain names? I am currently paying $175 a month for about 700 with 5 c class IP's? Liquidwebs $60 program could not handle my names for some reason.....

Time for a change or if enough of us ABWebbers get together we can start our own hosting company! I have a little capital put aside for this venture if anyone is interetsed!
    IOWNWEBHOSTING.com

I've got a dedicated server with cpanel, I also only take about 3 clicks to add a name and haven't found anything any quicker. I used to have servers with ensim and one with plesk.

My hosting was down again last night for about 20 minutes, I've been thinking of a switch, so if we can work out a 'mass move deal' with a host after the summit, l'd be interested.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Check this out. I have several domains here and have had no problems at all. I use the baby plan.

You get unlimited domains and sub-domains.

http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

We offer unlimited Domains....

Mark I have pmed you and Iownie I have you marked for drinks and server talk in Vegas....

We will be table #79 at the meet market, one of my server geeks will be with me to talk hosting needs for anyone who wants to check us out....

People seem confused when I refer to the "number of steps" required to add a domain. In fact, I don't think I am using cPanel now -- the eApps VPS control panel identifies itself as "Parallells Business Automation - Control Panel." So maybe these steps are unique to this particular solution, and maybe cPanel works differently (can someone point me to a demo that would actually show how this is done with cPanel for adding multiple domains within a single master account?).

Here is the series of steps I now must perform to add each domain:

AFTER registering the domain (at Domainz4Less), and setting the right nameservers, I log in to the eApps control panel (Parallells Business Automation - Control Panel) and do these steps for EACH new domain:

(1) Click on the "System" tab.
    (2) Click "All My Domains" then at next screen type new domain
    (3) Click "Add Domain"
    (4) Click "Mail Forwarding"
    (5) Click "Add Forwarding Rule"
    (6) Type an asterisk in first box (for "catch-all")
    (7) Select and scroll down drop-down to select the new domain.
    (8) Type the external forwarding email address in the next box
    (9) Click "Save"
    (10) Click the "Site" tab
    (11) Click "Add Site"
    (12) Choose the domain from the drop down. Select the IP address from the drop down. Verify that the "www" and "share IP address" checkboxes are pre-checked; verify that the administrative user is properly selected; verify that "make your website public" is pre-checked. Submit.

Because my primary domain email is on another server, several extra steps are required to bypass a "bug" which causes all email settings to revert to the local server. I could solve this by moving the primary domain to another hosting solution, but I'd prefer not to.
    Last edited by markwelch; February 21st, 2008 at 05:22 PM.

15 years and counting
    I've my own servers and I'm using WHM & cPanel to host my sites.
    You can see the full demos here: cpanel
    It takes me a split second to host a new site on cPanel from my WHM

Mark,

unless your adding 20 domains a month a little configuration goes a long way...well worth the 5 minutes it takes to add a domain in WHM using cpanel.

how many domains are you talking about? don't forget the advantage of splitting it all up between different ip blocks ;-) with different host.

WHM the domain controller for cpanel allows you to setup domains with certain packages, but you will still need to detail some of the config once the domain is setup, such as spam assassin, where to forward the email to and a few other things, but there may be some hack for that if you are setting up everything the same as you said.

Same here, cPanel & WHM.. love it.

Moved from Lunarpages to HostICan VPS six months ago & have never looked back. Full control over my server (ie. add as many domains, etc) without the extra responsibilty that comes with dedicated.

I've had very good dealings with HostICan support as well, feels more professional.

I took a look at the demos for cpanel and WHM and I can see that there's a learning curve there, too. It appears that there would be no fewer steps to add and configure a domain within that system. It's unclear if I'd need to have a separate login and ftp access for each domain? If so, that would absolutely be a deal-killer. I like having everything structured so I can ftp multiple sites' data with a single ftp connection.

Mark,

For WHM is the parent to Cpanel. If you received a WHM account from a company you could get by with one login to WHM and pop into all of your cpanel accounts. You can even jump from one to the other on a single login.

However FTPs will be different unless you get a dedicated/vps with cpanel.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    I recommend, as a minimum when you have 3 or more top sites/domains, on a VPS with cpanel with just about any host who offers one. Seen some good ones lately and with just about all you need and even unlimited addon domains for about 30.00/month.

I've had a few sites on a different VPS servers using cpanel for years with no problems. Quick to add and setup domains.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    Same here, cPanel & WHM.. love it.
    I concur, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Over the years I tried managing my own server with the old "blue box" RAQ servers. I have also tried Ensim and Plesk as control panels. I could "work" with all of them but they were all cumbersome. However, with WHM/Cpanel it was love at first site.

Currently I have VPS accounts with Servint and Hostgator. And still have a 4-year-old Reseller account with Voxtreme. All using WHM & CPanel.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

well there is the anonymous ftp possiblility, but sounds like the same data on different sites, that are setup exactly the same way on the same ip block is pushing duplicate info

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I took a look at the demos for cpanel and WHM and I can see that there's a learning curve there, too. It appears that there would be no fewer steps to add and configure a domain within that system. It's unclear if I'd need to have a separate login and ftp access for each domain? If so, that would absolutely be a deal-killer. I like having everything structured so I can ftp multiple sites' data with a single ftp connection.
    You can use a single FTP login for multiple sites on a cPanel server if you setup your domains as "add-on" domains to the main account. The files for each domain will reside in a sub-folder of the main account, but will still be accessible via it's own URL.

For Example:

main account- markwelch.com
    add-on domain- isellwidgets.com
    ftp location- markwelch.com/isellwidgets

Here's a tutorial on how to create add-on domains:
    http://dinohost.com/demo/cpanel_xv2_addon.htm
    Very easy.

Make sense? I hope this helps.

P.S. We offer shared hosting accounts with unlimited add-on domains, as well as reseller accounts with access to WHM if you prefer separate accounts. See link in sig
    Last edited by felit0; February 23rd, 2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Added tutorial link

Thank you Trust!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously - what part of do not spam our board does not resonate with these idiots?????

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Check this out. I have several domains here and have had no problems at all. I use the baby plan.

You get unlimited domains and sub-domains.

http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml
    Hostgator is very stable, and my account has lower sever loads than most major hosts. They have earned my respect as a quality host.

You might check hostway (.) com out. We don't host sites there but have our domain names registered there. Domain names are $7.45 a year each. They provide all the standard hosting services.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast