Merchant cookie question
    I've noticed that some merchants store cookies which are not affiliate-specific - so how do they know to pay commission to the right affiliate?

For example, Best Western (part of the CJ network) stores a cookie called "bwbook" with the correct expiration date (30 days), but it only has the following information "btype=CJ&iata=00162850". The same information is stored regardless of affiliate.

What is the missing piece here?
    Thanks!

I don't know if I'm following completely - but is their marketing analytics tracking throwing you off?

i.e. we put a small snippet on the end of say, a text link's URL that will tell me in our marketing analytics that XZY sales stemmed from our affiliates' text links, or banner click through's etc...

www.urlhere.com?REF=AFC-text

Maybe as oppose to using words, they are opting for numbers?

This doesn't look like HBX or Omniture, however, both that I'm familiar with.

Just a thought...but I could be way in left field here...

Quote Originally Posted by kmacbc
    I don't know if I'm following completely - but is their marketing analytics tracking throwing you off?

i.e. we put a small snippet on the end of say, a text link's URL that will tell me in our marketing analytics that XZY sales stemmed from our affiliates' text links, or banner click through's etc...

www.urlhere.com?REF=AFC-text

Maybe as oppose to using words, they are opting for numbers?

This doesn't look like HBX or Omniture, however, both that I'm familiar with.

Just a thought...but I could be way in left field here...
    Let's say I visit the Best Western website using an affiliate X's link. The cookie with the 30-day expiration is stored on my PC. I then terminate the session. Two weeks later I access the Best Western website directly and make a booking. How do they know to credit affiliate X? The cookie stored is not specific to X.

When you click through affiliate X's link - it "calls" the CJ server and the cookie is set. Even if you turn your computer off and return 29 days later, go to www.bestwestern.com directly and book, affiliate X is going to get credit. CJ knows this because CJ was "called" the second you clicked through one of their links.

The "call" to CJ is needed to tell them that affiliate X's link was clicked and the cookie has dropped. So long as no other affiliate Y or Z or etc...'s link is clicked, then the original referring ("last click in gets the commission") affiliate gets credit for the sale.

Again, sorry if I'm talking in circles here. But I don't believe that the cookie on your machine needs to have affiliate specific information stored because once you click through - this information is "called" to CJ and CJ waits to see if a sale is completed within 30 days.

If another click from you, the customer, comes through from a different affiliate Y -- then CJ is again called with this new information and credits affiliate Y if in fact a sale is made.

Please note:
    If you terminate the session by physically "clearing cookies" -- then CJ won't know who to pay. The cookie is deleted.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread