"keywork Link" for SEM a little confused.
    I am new to CJ and nearing completion well atleast complete enough to launch some SEM and was wondering what the hell the "keyword Link" is all about.

From what I understand ....

1 .IF I want to make a link that I have search terms for and this link is a redirect to the merchant and therefore this surfer never actually lands on any of my pages and then makes a conscious choice to click an advertisers banner text link etc then I must use the "keyword Link" and have to follow whatever rules they have there ?

so I want to push a company called "Best Widgets" and I want set up adwords or similar and bid on terms "Red Widget, Blue Widget, Green Widget" and send the surfers that click on these terms directly to"Best Widgets" website then I have to follow the "Keyword Link" policy which says I can't advertise "Blue Widget" so then I set up the adwords campaign to have "Red Widget and Green Widget" go directly to the "Best Widgets" website and get my commission.

and

2If I want to use adwords etc to send surfers to my pages first and they land and make a conscious choice to click another link to go to an advertiser then I do not use the "Keyword Link" at all and I can use whatever search terms I want ?

so I want to push a company called "Best Widgets" and I want set up adwords or similar and bid on terms "Red Widget, Blue Widget, Green Widget" and send the surfers that click on these terms to my website on a page about "Bst Widgets" I go ahead and use these search terms becasue i am not redirecting to the advertiser directly ? So I do not care what the "keyword link" says ?

ABW Ambassador
    I wondered that too when it first came about but from what I understand it's just the merchant's rules on paid search/PPC and you can use any of the links they have available.

"1 .IF I want to make a link that I have search terms for and this link is a redirect to the merchant and therefore this surfer never actually lands on any of my pages and then makes a conscious choice to click an advertisers banner text link etc then I must use the "keyword Link" and have to follow whatever rules they have there ?"

Most are supposed to have keyword links and just because they have one doesn't mean you can do direct to merchant, most don't allow it and some will say it in the keyword link itself. Some will say they allow it.

"so I want to push a company called "Best Widgets" and I want set up adwords or similar and bid on terms "Red Widget, Blue Widget, Green Widget" and send the surfers that click on these terms directly to"Best Widgets" website then I have to follow the "Keyword Link" policy which says I can't advertise "Blue Widget" so then I set up the adwords campaign to have "Red Widget and Green Widget" go directly to the "Best Widgets" website and get my commission."

Same as last response. Some merchants allow direct to merchant some don't. Some will put that information in the keyword link, some don't. Most don't have a problem with doing PPC to your own site first.

"2If I want to use adwords etc to send surfers to my pages first and they land and make a conscious choice to click another link to go to an advertiser then I do not use the "Keyword Link" at all and I can use whatever search terms I want ?"

You can use any of the links. I've never used the Get Html for the Keyword link, I guess you could since it looks like most are just homepage links.

"so I want to push a company called "Best Widgets" and I want set up adwords or similar and bid on terms "Red Widget, Blue Widget, Green Widget" and send the surfers that click on these terms to my website on a page about "Bst Widgets" I go ahead and use these search terms becasue i am not redirecting to the advertiser directly ? So I do not care what the "keyword link" says ?"

Again, most are fine with you advertising to your own page first. If they have terms, usually TM terms or some others where they say you can't use them, that's for direct to merchant or to your own site first. A lot of them will monitor for compliance to see if you are bidding on those words and if you are, then you risk getting the boot out of the program or having your commissions reversed.

i'm still a little lost here

Lets take Gamfly for example

the keywords link says

Useage Recomendation

"GameFly does not permit our publisher partners to use GameFly's trademarks in any means including keywords, display urls, etc. In order to enfore this, we require you to enter GameFly and variations of which as a negative keyword when creating your campaigns. Thank you in advance for your cooperation."

and

Protected Keywords

"gamefly, www.gamefly.com, gamefly.com, game fly, and any other phrases that include GameFly or any variation or misspellings of which."

so are these rules for Direct search engine to advertiser only or do they alo include search engine to my website ?

Are they actually saying I can't use theseterms to get you to my website ?

ABW Ambassador
    You can't use those terms for pay per click advertising. So you can't bid on those terms and send them directly to the merchant, you can't bid on those terms and send them to your own site first.

Now you could use other terms to bring people to your site first for them like video game rentals and terms like that.

okay I understand.

Can an advertiser really tell me I can't use another adveritisers keyword.

i know this is sort of a seperate question but I was reading 1800contacts and they actually say I can't use the term lensworld ?

is that legit ?

ABW Ambassador
    It's legit. If it's in their terms (whether you agree with it or not, whether it makes sense to you or not) and you violate them, then you run that risk again of getting the boot and/or having your commissions reversed. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

I think what has happened (and I've seen it promoted in some of the "affiliate guru's" get-rich programs) is that many advertisers were burned when internet marketers made more money promoting the products than the advertisers made selling the products. Why should they be competing with their affiliates for traffic? If a Google search for "1800 contacts" brings up Adwords ads that are competing with the search listing for their site, it costs them money. It just means that internet marketers have to be more creative, and work smarter...

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread