Search - It uses a new code snippet
    Hi all,
    I should have mentioned yesterday that the search feature uses an updated code snippet. So if your snippet is more than a couple months old, you'll need to copy and paste the new one on your site.

Sorry but it was unavoidable. Everyone (even Basic users) uses the same snippet now so if you upgrade search will work immediately.

As mentioned yesterday, if you have a bug to report thank you for sending mail to support@popshops.com so it can get immediate attention rather than posting here.

Jessie

I've just noticed that all my "continuation pages" are broken, after I upgraded to Enterprise and made some of the new style changes. This leads me to suspect that Search isn't the only feature that requires replacement of code.

I have more than 1,000 shops. Apparently you expect me to manually cut and past your PHP code 1,000 times?

I am also not clear on the "couple of months" issue, as this appears to impact all my shops, including those created very recently.

It appears that checking the box to add "rel=nofollow" to tags also breaks shops. I had done this to each of my styles, and I've now gone back and unchecked it for all shops.

I cannot find any difference in the "older" versus "newer" PHP code snippets.

Nope, I am apparently mistaken. Unchecking the box doesn't fix the problem. Many of my shops that formerly had continuation pages now do not have any continuation pages.

Something is seriously broken here.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Maybe I am still sleepy but what search are you talking about when you say "Everyone (even Basic users) uses the same snippet now so if you upgrade search will work immediately."

Hi,
    There was a change made to the snippet a couple months ago so that it could serve up search results. I'm just letting you know that everyone uses the SAME search snippet (even if you are not Enterprise and not currently using search on your pages).

Mark, modifying the snippet was the only way to integrate search into shops for those who want it.

Jessie

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Do you guys send out newsletters when you update because I haven't gotten any and that would be helpful.

Also I am trying to update since my products are mostly showing as unavailable and I'm getting "Sorry, this is just a little hiccup. Please hit refresh or wait a few seconds and try again. We're working on fixing the problem."

Yes, I will send an email to support.

Wow! That would really suck if you had to make manual adjustments to 1000 shops! OUCH

ABW Ambassador
    I just used the search option today on a brand new shop (so all my snippets should be current).
    It does look nice on the page. BUT when I did a search for a product brand that I know is both on my page and in the merchant's inventory, all I get is my template with nothing.

Is there something else I need to do?

I sure wish someone could post an example or two of search in use because I'm not really clear on all this.

If you promise to not judge how terribly out of date this site is, you can look at the search on this site: http://www.allthingspug.com/plush-pug-toys

Just type in something, like ipod, and you'll see search results. It is searching the entire data feeds of the merchants that are in my shop.

Jessie

Aunt Lily,
    Brands are not yet in the index, so unless the brand name is in the title, then it won't find the product. Soon we will add brands (when they are supplied) to the index. Some merchants do not supply an column with brands, however.

If you have brands that are in the name of the product on a specific shop and they are not showing up, please send me support@popshops.com email.

Jessie

Regarding the newsletters, I have one prepared to send out and will be doing that either today or right after Summit. They go out pretty infrequently. I tend to err on the side of infrequent because I have such a thin skin when it comes to receiving unwanted emails.

Jessie

Thanks for the example, Jessie. That's pretty cool actually.

I still don't understand some of the basics of the search function itself. For example, why when I search for "bowling" (meaning the sport) do I get all the kitchenware and Super Bowl stuff as if I searched for the word "bowl"?

I can understand the reverse - searching for "bowl" and then "bowling" also coming up, since it's part of the word. I've had other similar experiences and if I think of some of the other words, I'll add them.

Are there any advanced operators built into the search (like Google has advanced search functions using +, -, ~, *, . etc)? Or something like regular expressions?

We will be giving users the ability to narrow by category soon. I hope to get smarter trunking in and advanced search functions as well.

As you think of words, send them to me (support - don't worry about sending lots of emails) and I'll note the exceptions.

Jessie

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread