Stealing Commissions
    Hello,
    This is my question. Is it possible for someone else to be paid a commission a click coming from my site. The click appears in the stats and my tracking shows that a customer indeed did leave my site. About three minutes later I find out a commissionable sale was made at the site I sent the click to. This has happened numerous times too many times to be a coincidence.

Several things could be at play. Here a few examples:

1. The cart may not be tracking the sale properly. You can test this by placing a test order.

2. The customer may click back to the search results, follow another link and make a purchase on another affiliate's cookie. This is pretty common.

3. The customer's computer may be infected with parasitic software designed to steal commissions, though Shareasale is pretty good about keeping the software affiliates out.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Some merchants process sales few hours after the order is placed. So expect to see your sale after it was accepted.

About three minutes later I find out a commissionable sale was made at the site I sent the click to. This has happened numerous times too many times to be a coincidence.
    How are you determining this?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I use sitetracker to keep track of incoming visitors telling me the time and where they come from. When they click one of the links it shows in the stats at shareasale as a click. 3 minutes later I click on the merchant and a sale has been made. This has happened numerous times. We do make sales through this merchant. It has happened so many times that I am wondering if this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by carpetkare
    Is it possible for someone else to be paid a commission a click coming from my site.
    Some merchants use multiple tracking systems and it depends on the merchant which system is their preferred one when there are multiple cookies. Check their TOS it's usually mentioned.

Ah, I see what you're doing. Ok. Eathan's explanation above should cover most likely scenarios.

I would contact the merchant with your concern as well, especially if it's not a merchant popping affiliate sales every couple of minutes, normally.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I will check with the merchant. He should be able to tell me if a certain item was sold at a certain time. Also I am having this site show up in my statistics. mypoints.com/emp/u/mysearch.vm have you ever heard of them.
    Last edited by Noth; February 23rd, 2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Broke the link.

Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Are they with shareasale. Exactly how could they be doing what I'm talking about.

where do you see mypoints in your stats? I want to check our stats and see. We have also seen problems when users don't accept third party cookies. The merchant see the traffic but doesn't credit us for the sale.

They are in our web control panel under links from external pages (other websites)

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread