Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Who moved my spam?
    Well this is a pleasant surprise. Since this morning my spam email has dwindled to almost nothing. Nyet. Nada. Zilch.

Which makes me wonder if a major spam ring has been busted or contracted bloody diarrhea or flesh-eating bacteria or something equally unpleasant.

One can only hope.

So is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    No such luck on my side

Since midnight our filter server has blocked about 450 at the SMTP level and 73 that snuck through and were blocked at the higher levels which is about average. It's weird though, weekends tend to be lighter and then on holiday weekends the spam practically disappears.

I'm still getting the same amount of spam

My Outlook filter seems to be working better for some reason - have no clue why....still using 2003. But unfortunaltley I am still getting about 1000 a day pushed directly to my junk mail folder.....One of these days I will make them go right to the DELETE folder but every once in a while I still get one from ABW which I would never want to miss!

Really 1,000!!
    I rarely get 1 day. The filters on the host only get one false positive a month and I just check it when some one says they sent something I didn't get.

You have got to get on your hosting company. They shouldn't be letting that crap take up server time.

1000 a day that must take along time to down load.

Really talk to you host and see if they have some other protection that can help you at their level.

LincolnAve

Tax Paying Member
    I noticed about a 75% drop in spam-mail immediately after Christmas.
    It is slowly creeping back up, but still only about half the pre-Christmas level.

I do not have any answers........Just observations.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Nope, nope, nope, lol think some of my normal mail has disappeared somehow lol but if anything am gettin more spam from all of my email addresses.

Rhea - if you miss yours I realize it would be a great sacrifice for me to make but I'll share some of mine with you so you don't have to feel slighted in anyway from them.

my gmail hosted domain doesn't get much.. they really do a good job of filtering it. but my other domain gets more than enough for both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by newestuser
    my gmail hosted domain doesn't get much.. they really do a good job of filtering it. but my other domain gets more than enough for both of them.
    I find gmail to be a little too aggressive. Many legit emails end up in my gmail spam folder.

> "It's weird though, weekends tend to be lighter and then on holiday weekends the spam practically disappears." <

If you remember the "early days" when spammers would launch bulk mailings on Friday afternoon at 5pm because they knew that the ISP or backbone provider wouldn't respond to stop them until Monday morning, then it does seem weird. In 1996-1997, probalby 80% of my spam came on the weekend.

But in 2008, it's not weird at all. Many email providers have algorithms that actually 'deliver' but then 'undeliver' unread emails that are identified as spam (often because they're "flagged" by other users). Most business users don't check their email during the weekend, so spam sent on Friday night through Sunday afternoon is likely to be "recognized" and "removed" before the user logs in. Spam sent at 8:59am Monday is much more likely to be received and read by a larger number of people.

Many spammers are very, very clever criminals. They do their jobs surprisingly well, finding ways to circumvent filters and such, and they seek out the best times and days to deliver their spam, and in some cases they distinguish between business users (to be targetted from 8am to 11am) and home users (to be targetted at 5 to 8pm).

Quote Originally Posted by newestuser
    my gmail hosted domain doesn't get much.. they really do a good job of filtering it.
    I started with Gmail when they launched. My account name is the Atakapa name for a local river. It has drawn Spam from the get go and is one of my list used accounts.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    My spam is back. It was sweet while it lasted.

I do not get spam, I do not miss it either. I use Jim Tuceks scripts and have had zero site spam since the day I put it up. 'bots cant get an address that isn't there.

No Longer Banned!
    Spam In a Can ?....
    Lincoln

I've had over 2000 spam messages before. Whew !, That's a lot !

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've started getting a lot of spam. Fortunately, I've got SpamAssassin, and that lets me route most of it to the spam folder (or straight to deletion, if it's an addy I don't have to care about false positives on). One address now collects about 1000 of them a week. If it wasn't for SA, I would have had to kill that addy long ago.

Wow, what timing! After I posted my message (above) about the reduced volume of spam on the weekend, somebody forged one of my domains as the sender of a bulk email; I've just received 720 "bounce" messages, which is higher than usual, and of course it happened in the middle of the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    somebody forged one of my domains as the sender of a bulk email; I've just received 720 "bounce" messages
    That irritates me to death. We have a domain that seems to be popular with the forgers. Our filter server is set up to accept email only if it's found on a list of valid addresses and the rest are all rejected at the SMTP level. When they're spamming using our domain the log monitor goes nuts displaying all the NDR messages to bogus addresses at our domain that are rejected. I used to occasionally get emails addressed to the postmaster from disgruntled email users who had received spam that they thought originated here. I politely explained to them what was really happening. I finally put a disclaimer on the homepage of the website for that domain and the complaint emails stopped. Early on the domain/IP ended up on some of the spam cop type databases due to being forged, but they started getting wise to the forgery problem and we haven't had any more trouble.

Domain "Sending Exclusion" List?
    This thread gives me an idea: someone should create a service that lists "non-sending" domains -- domain names which have been submitted by their owners as being "domains that do not currently send any email."

I don't like using the word "blacklist" for these domains, because blacklisting is normally done as retribution or punishment, and the purpose of this list is actually to protect ALL parties involved (except the spammers). The key would need to be a "remove" mechanism, so that if a domain owner elects to start using a domain to send emails, or decides to sell a domain, then they could remove it from the list easily (using an exchange of emails based on the valid WHOIS data for the domain).

Do any of the "blacklisting" or "spamlisting" services offer this as an option? Is this a viable idea?

RE: Domain "Sending Exclusion" List?
    I haven't run across such a service. Non-email domains usually don't contain an MX record in their DNS which would preclude the reception of email from that domain at most large email services anyway. Organizations with their own email servers are another story though. They would probably receive the email and then it would have to run through their filter. For such a service to work it would have to operate like the spam cop type databases where the receiving email server does a query to the spam database to check for a listing for that domain or IP address. Of course the use of that service is voluntary and would not prevent a non-email domain from being exploited. It seems to me that this would be a perfect service for the spam database providers. The domain could be registered with them as a non-sending domain rather than as a blacklisted domain and therefore prevent it from being blacklisted when it's been forged. The problem with blacklists currently is that once your domain gets listed it's sometimes hard to get it off. One of our IP addresses somehow got listed on a blacklist at Earthlink. Trouble with that is that Earthlink hosts many domains/email. You can't tell by the domain name that a recipient is hosted by Earthlink and the sender may get a NDR back that says they aren't allowed to send to that address. The message continues to call them a punk and to 'make my day', which I believe to be quite unprofessional. Whenever one of our clients gets that response we have to re-route that email destination through a different IP address. I haven't been successful in getting our IP removed. It's like trying to talk to a huge machine that never seems to listen. Anyway, there are many means of blocking spam and many more ways of getting spam delivered. It's an ongoing battle here and we are constantly tweaking and reconfiguring.

> "Non-email domains usually don't contain an MX record in their DNS" <

I don't know if that's true (perhaps it is, especially for "parked" domains), but I always configure my domains so that any emails sent to the domain are forwarded to my real email box (in fact, if I didn't do so, I wouldn't even know that my domains are being forged in emails, since the bounce messages would bounce, in that situation).

My understanding is that an MX record only pertains to the ability to receieve email, not send it, but I could be wrong. Perhaps that's a technique that spam-filters already use (if the sending domain doesn't have an MX record, perhaps that boosts the spam-score rating for an email)? If so, then perhaps I should just disable inbound email for most of my domains.

Many email servers block reception of emails from domains having no MX record. Therefore a forged non-MX domain would be blocked by the receiver. We block them. In fact, we also block emails from domains having no DNS reverse IP lookup record. We also block IPs with reverse lookup records, but that contain names like dyn{amic}, pool, dial, user, and dhcp. In other words, we try to block any dynamic as opposed to static IP address. That prevents a multitude of spam because so many of them use a plain old PC on a non-business type Internet connection. If any of our business users need to receive email from a blocked IP, we enter an exception to let them through.
    We don't configure an MX record unless the domain will be used with email. All our domains use the same postmaster address in the whois records as well, regardless of how the domain is used.

Mine has slowed down a little bit but not to much.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Niche Marketer
    Mine has slowed down a little bit but not to much.
    you need to check the dates on these threads before you add your 2 cents.

you are reviving dead threads

Niche,

One more useless post in an old or non current thread and you get a week vacation.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast