ABW Ambassador
    I have been looking for a video camera lately and last night I was in the - "I am going to buy this no matter what" mood.

So I did a last sweep through various sites looking for suggestions and deals. I found two sites I liked, both helpful to a point but both dropped the ball.

If you are selling me something, sell me something. While it is great to show various prices from various vendors, some comparison is bad.

I am looking to spend between $600 - $1000. I know that is not a top of the line, but that is what I am willing to part with. Now Sony and Cannon (my two choices) offer a variety of cameras in that price range.

If you are going to show all of the cameras in that price range, sell each one on its merits. This camera is great for night shooting, this is great because it is small. Blah blah blah. But don't get all wishy washy and tell me the choice is mine and I need to think. No I don't. I need you to think for me.

The moment you add doubt to my thought process, I am going to sleep on it and with the merchants in question, that means you lost a sale. And sometimes less choice is better. If Cannon has two similar cameras, just pick one. Tell me that is the one I want. Don't lie, but pick the strengths and play to those. You can be informative, but also remember to sell.

I am not saying become a used car salesman, but get me excited about the product, tell me i want it, tell me to buy it. Don't tell me to think about it. Because the moment I do that, I am bookmarking the merchant's page, not yours.

Chet

Chet, Try Amazon.com the reviews there always help me choose.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Chet,

1) I own it, can personally recomend it.
    2) I use it weekly, my wife almost daily (kids)
    3) Kick ass video camera, small, fit's anywhere
    4) Transfers to PC, DVD etc. very easy...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=C925-1088%20P

Reviews: http://www.canondv.com/optura200mc/

Overall, awesome equipment for the price range.

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com

Parasite Free in 2003!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks.

Andy, while I agree that is an amazing camera, the problem lies in that at that price point, I would start looking at the 3-CCD models like the GL1. But while the GL1 has superior picture quality, it lacks the advance image stabilization and low-light features of the 200MC. Argh!

I have to work with a budget for both the camera and a new Apple. This is for the serious hobby end stuff/projects. After testing editing software, nothing compares to final cut pro for the mac. So the new Apples are a tempting budget upgrade as well. But I hope to continue to be able to afford to eat.

Argh! I like buying furniture better. The dining room table is not going to come out with new advancements next year making me wish I held off buying it.

Also, the point of the post was also to point out to people when writing ad copy. I see so much bs and flowery words, while forgetting what you are doing - selling. Don't be scared to sell.

Chet

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar

Chet, I agree 100% with your first post!!

I've always called comparison sites "comparison shopping irritants" because they leave me right where I started in terms of whether to buy something and I'm likely to end up ordering nothing (leaving me irritated because then I haven't accomplished what I wanted to).

When someone hits one of my sales sites, it's clear right away that they're at a store site. There's no wishy-washy "advice" going on to add doubt to the process or otherwise muck with the person's decision to BUY!

(I have no video cameras, though, sorry...)

~Revenue is King

How right you are about choice.

Give buyers too much choice and they'll decide to keep their money in their pocket.

I have a couple product comparison sites. At first I listed merchant with a similar product (it's not a commodity, each merchant develops and delivers its own product), and almost no-one every converted (lots of click-throughs though!) I tried sorting the big list by best commissions, then by best product - it didn't matter - I gave them so many choices they might as well have gone to Froogle.

Then I created three categories - Uncompromised quality, Cheap but acceptable, and Best for the Money. I selected 2 vendors for each, 6 total. Sales shot up amazingly.

Put only one merchant in each group and almost no-one buys anything - people like to think they are making a selection.

Put more than 3 merchants in each group and sales fall off a good bit, but not completely.

I decided to go with the straight truth about which products fit best in each category, even though one is from a vendor with no affiliate program at all. It keeps the supposed "experts" from flaming me because it shows I'm being objective. For a while I tried putting the best commission vendors in each category, but people saw through it - they could see quality too. So the best products is what I've stuck with. And it feels better being honest anyway.

It all goes back to the KISS principle - Keep It Simple, Stupid.

There was a song by Devo in the early 80's that summed it up best:
    "Freedom from choice - that's what you want"

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it

I never write one word of spin. That is what the merchant site is supposed to be about. Writing spin is a big waste of time as far as I can see. Takes the customer longer to get to the merchant site and pages don't climb very high in the search engines, either. Also, takes too long to create pages trying to figure out the correct ratio of keywords and so forth when to can be done without all that W**K.

Heck, I don't even know what half the stuff is much less can I recommend it. Nor, do I know if the price is fair since I don't personally buy much junk, clothes or toys. I just get them to the merchant site. Job done.

If the merchant is a dud, get another one.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> and pages don't climb very high in the search engines, either <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've noticed the directly opposite. The more I write on a page, the higher it rises! Pages with just one introductory paragraph (basically saying, here's the XX from MerchantX that you searched for) have a hard time gaining rank.

In fact, Google seems to like even more spin than the customers do! I made a (non-sales) page on leaders-site...if it was printed out it'd probably be from 7-10 pages of text. No links in either(!), yet it was easy for it to catch the #1 under the relevant phrase. That much text wouldn't sell sheet but it *ranks* fine!

Overall, I find writing spin to be very effective for the CR, too. If I look at my CR among various sites, I can often see a direct correlation between the CR and the spin. Good spin = better CR. No spin or bad spin = lower CR.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That is what the merchant site is supposed to be about. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't consider writing to be "the merchant's job". Some of them are awful at it!! I think the merchant's site is "about" actually delivering the item, customer service, having the shopping cart and tracking code working right, and, of course, paying the commissions.

If I fired every merchant who can't write worth 10c, I'd only have about 2 merchants. That's no good!

Needless to say, I don't consider the writing to be "w*rk". That's the FUN part!! Writing is one of the few chances to actually be *creative* instead of just doing clerical work on the site. All that boring back-end junk like updates, designing pages--Pbbbt, now that's w*rk.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't even know what half the stuff is much less can I recommend it. Nor, do I know if the price is fair since I don't personally buy much junk, clothes or toys. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know what a lot of the stuff is either, but a look at the merchant site solves a lot of those problems.

For instance, they may have a graphic that says "SAVE 10%!". Writing that into a spin about how much savings are possible is easy... a lot of spin-writing is just looking at what the merchant said and wording it in a more exciting way.

As for knowing the prices of things in general--I don't actually BUY a heck of a lot of stuff, either, but I *look at* a decent variety of items and have a good general notion of what things ought to cost, and how long warranties tend to run for different categories.

Of course, more than one method works. It also depends what kind of traffic is coming to the site! My sites are aimed at people who are already 99% sure what they want, and that they want to get it. My spin is to add that enthusiasm that turns "maybe today" into "RIGHT NOW, FOR SURE"--and to convince them that MyMerchant is WHERE they ought to be typing in that credit card number.

A lot of merchants describe their goods but do nothing to add that push that turns the shopper into the buyer or even try to show that their offering is any better than the next guy's! I find it worth a bit of typing to pick up this slack--an uncut diamond can be worth a lot to the one who bothers to put a chisel to it.

Of course, if the merchant is really uncondensed coal (a true dud), that's another story. But I have a lot of "uncut diamonds" on the roster...

~Revenue is King

I was aware that you use an entirely different approach. I guess, both ways must work. But, my own experience is that the fewer words, the higher I rank. I could PM you a whole bunch of search terms where I am #1 with not one single word of ad spin written.

I say what ever works is fine with me. Everyone must discover their own path. I would never even make page one your way. All that writing would bore me to distraction.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I guess, both ways must work. But, my own experience is that the fewer words, the higher I rank. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think all old ranking formulas are out the window with the latest changes in Google... I've got a whole different bunch of my pages ranking well than I expected to see!

~Revenue is King

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread