ABW Ambassador
    On the topic of making marketing better, I just saw a news brief that the national Do Not Call Registry just went live. Signing up is supposed to get you off telemarketing lists.

I wish they had something like this for email. But, of course, if I registered for the do not spam list, I wouldn't get Haiko's opt in announcements.

ABW Ambassador
    Having worked in various capacities of telemarketing, I can tell you this will do very little to slow the calls down. There's far too many loopholes.

Want to stop them permanently? Record the "three tones" one gets before the "the number you have dialed is no longer in service" message: put those tones on an answering machine, followed by "you have reached... leave a message..."

The dialers are programmed to recognise and remove those numbers that "tone". Humans will recognise your voice and leave a message.

ABW Ambassador
    I find it kind of amusing hearing the telemarketers on TV complaning about this. People don't want telemarketing calls, spam, popups and moves are being made to combat all of this. And if somebody is involved in any of this, they need to rethink their choices.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

From the do not call site,
    "You may still receive calls from political organizations, charities, telephone surveyors or companies with which you have an existing business relationship."

This whole thing is just really an evil ploy by politicians to get your phone number. Once everyone is on that list they're going to call round the clock looking for donations. Save a seat for me at a $2000 a plate fundraiser and Teddy K save some booze for the rest of us.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Excellent advice from Weisenator

"Want to stop them permanently? Record the "three tones" one gets before the "the number you have dialed is no longer in service" message: put those tones on an answering machine, followed by "you have reached... leave a message..."

The dialers are programmed to recognise and remove those numbers that "tone". Humans will recognise your voice and leave a message."

Stops all this auto-dialers dead in their tracks.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    I am amused, living near the telemarketing capital of the world, that none of them got on TV to complain. They know their core business is still around: the existing relationship.

Every telemarketing job I did involved a previous relationship: sports videos from a catalog the customer had ordered from; membership renewals; magazine resubscriptions; credit card "protection"; etc.

Thanks to Voice-Over-IP, call centers can be anywhere in the world. Donotcall.gov won't apply to someone from Indonesia trying to sell you a cleaning service contract.

ABW Ambassador
    I haven't received a single telemarketing call in over four years on my cell phone.

I'm down to one land line (used to have three voice lines plus a dedicated fax line) in my abode, and wondering how much longer it will make sense to keep it.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread