Affiliate manager on Wikipedia
    The definition of Affiliate manager on Wikipedia seems pretty good, based on what I have been hearing in this forum. However, it hasn't been edited very much, or for the last few months. I would like to see more members of this forum make some edits the the Affiliate manager Wikipedia article.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    The 'affiliate marketing' entry is quite spam filled, IMO.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I did think the marketing entry was huge and very informative. Yes, it did look like it had a ton of links at the bottom. Something an experience person in the field that knows how to work Wikipedia could fix in just a few minutes.

The Affiliate manager entry on the other hand isn't spam filled. It was well written. Just not touched recently by any Wikipedia editors.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYMEDINC
    Yes, it did look like it had a ton of links at the bottom. Something an experience person in the field that knows how to work Wikipedia could fix in just a few minutes.
    Uh, actually, I think the ones with experience in the field are the ones adding all the spammy links, lol. Try deleting those links, I bet they'll be right back in there within a day or two.

Good point.

I just made an edit that will hopefully get some neutral wikipedians to come in and make some external link / spam related fixes to the Affiliate marketing article.

I'm not the person willing to make the deletes myself. Plus, I don't want to put the time into it.

I'm a big fan of Wikipedia, but I do know you can make enemies pretty fast when you start deleting external links. So, I'm not doing it myself.

After all, I started this thread with the hope to get people to add to the Affiliate manager article, not subtract from the Affiliate marketing article.

Yes, sorry for redirecting your focus. I took a look at the 'Affiliate Manager' page, it does look pretty clean.

Well, it is off to a start. People have made some minor edits to the Affiliate marketing article, because of what we started here. Hopefully more of it comes, and the changes stick.

ABW Ambassador
    Why?

Does anyone have a clue why the "Illustration of the concept of affiliate marketing" [in the article on affiliate marketing] have a Buyer/Seller "compensating affiliate"? So is it "buyer" or "seller"?

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Why?
    To make the Affiliate related articles on Wikipedia more encyclopedic and less like an advertising page.

A lot of people are turned off by Wikipedia, claiming it isn't a good reference, and SPAM adds to that.

Just trying to improve it.

Hello Geno,

I feel so special, like a celebrity has posted in the thread I started.

I bought your book on Friday, about two hours after I became an Affiliate Manager. I eagerly await it's arrival.

I've been telling my VP that he needs to wait for an Affiliate Agreement until after I receive your book, because I hear you have great examples to work from. Actually, I hear nothing but good stuff about your book.

I was looking for a book on being an Affiliate Manager, and yours had the best reviews. Then the people in this board started telling me to buy it. Luckily I already did!

I look forward to seeing your contributions in the Wikipedia article too. That is, if you haven't already.

Lightbulb
    I am one of the active ediors of the article at Wikipedia about affiliate marketing. The article is frequent target (daily pretty much) to spam, which the folks from the "recent changes patrol" are taking care of quickly very nicely in most cases. If you notice any spam, go ahead and remove it. I suggest that you check the edit history of the article first to check if the spam was added recently.

If there is anything regarding the content that you don't agree on or think that it is incorrect or something is missing, feel free to correct the errors. If you make any claims, make sure that you back them up via a reference from a reliable source. If you are unsure or don't want to update the main article itself, no problem. Just go to the talk page of the article and leave a not with your comments there. You can do that anonymously as well and don't have to create a Wikipedia editor account (what I would suggest and recommend regardless of the affiliate marketing article though )

If you don't want to do that either, leave a personal message at my Wikipedia user talk page or shoot me a PM here at ABestWeb or via regular email. My contact information are easy to find, if you are looking for them.

In the case that you decide to become a wikipedia editor and contribute to the content, you might find this wikipedia resources page useful that I created in my user space for this purpose a while ago.

Cheers!
    Carsten Cumbrowski
    Marketer & Entrepreneur @ Cumbrowski.com
    Free & no BS Internet Marketing Resources

Lightbulb
    On a side note. The article has many links, but keep in mind that Wikipedia is an Encyclopedia and not the place for original content. Claims made in an article must be referenced by a reliable source.

The more controversial an article is, the more references are needed. Many references were added to the article as consequence of statements that were flagged with the "facts" template (which adds the little remark "citation needed" in superscript next to the content that supposedly requires references).

Keep in mind that things that are clear and obvious to you and me as a marketer in the industry are not necessarily clear and obvious to an outsider. Wikipedia is primarily read by outsiders, so references are needed.
    Carsten Cumbrowski

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Does anyone have a clue why the "Illustration of the concept of affiliate marketing" [in the article on affiliate marketing] have a Buyer/Seller "compensating affiliate"? So is it "buyer" or "seller"?

Geno
    Good catch Geno.. that's an error, which I didn't see before.

A fellow editor created the nice illustration to replace the one that I created in a hurry (here is my old one). I used the label "Brand". He made it to "Buyer" by accident. I will go and attempt to correct the image as good as I can.

Thanks.

(talking about not seeing the trees because of the woods that block the view hehe)
    Carsten Cumbrowski

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread