Question What is Aerial Advertising?
    Hi,

Does someone tell me about Aerial Advertisement?How can I get advantages through aerial banners for my business?
    Aerial Advertising can be useful for any type of business or only for some specific ones?

Suggestions & Help.

Thanks in Advance
    Aliya

You've definitely reached the wrong discussion forum for this. "Aerial advertising" normally refers to paying someone to circle a specific venue (often a stadium) while towing a large banner with an advertising message. This is absolutely an "offline" advertising technique, not "online advertising," and it certainly doesn't have any connection to affiliate marketing, which is the primary focus of this forum.

You probably found this forum because a discussion here mentioned "banner advertising," but this refers to the graphical banners that appear on web sites (like the image that appears just below the last message in this discussion thread), not physical banners hanging behind small airplanes.

Aerial advertising can be used by a wide range of businesses, but because of the medium, the message must be very terse and simple. It's much more limiting than even a highway billboard. I would expect aerial advertising to be more effective in venues where there are frequent or long stretches of idle time; I've noticed them more while attending baseball games than any other situation.

Try doing some research starting at http://www.google.com/search?q=aerial+advertising

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    You've definitely reached the wrong discussion forum for this. "Aerial advertising" normally refers to paying someone to circle a specific venue (often a stadium) while towing a large banner with an advertising message. This is absolutely an "offline" advertising technique, not "online advertising," and it certainly doesn't have any connection to affiliate marketing, which is the primary focus of this forum. ...
    Uh, Mark... While I do agree that aerial advertising is an off-line technique and that the Buy.at forum is the wrong venue for this question, I don't agree that there is "no connection" to affiliate marketing.

This coming tourist season I have plans to explore aerial advertising for a dot-mobi site about a specific beach resort. For a couple hundred bucks I can get a banner towed for two hours, cycling along ten miles of beach with over 100,000 people basking in the sun. No one carries their computer on the beach, but nearly everyone seems to have a cell phone. I should be able to see real time results - by watching server logs - to see if any (hopefully HOW many) of those people open their phones and access browser capability to "check out" my advertised site.

HUNGRY? Surf the Net for restaurants on your cell phone at ----.MOBI

Wanna sleep over? Surf the Net for hotels on your cell at ---.MOBI

Most mobile devices today have browser capability. I want to find out how many of my target market actually uses that capability to gain information. I have a feeling that I may be premature for this season. But this medium is increasing in popularity; and I intend to "be there" in that niche market when people begin using it as often as they use traditional means of accessing the Internet.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I like the way you think Beachy. I would guess that most affiliates out there don't even own a .mobi domain.

Anyway, it would be interesting to do some A/B testing in the aerial banner scenario. Have two with the same text but one with a phone number and one with a website. Fly them at the same time to see which one gets more hits/calls. You could even have the phone number be to a travel agency (which I think you are affiliated with anyway, if I remember your prior posts correctly.)

We might be heading down that way with the kids this summer. A few months back we looked into OB NC and Oak Island NC, but now I am beginning to think that a 12 hour drive (w/ stops) is a little too far. Got any friends who have a house on the cheap for a week in June? If so, let me know.

-sfcom

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Beachy, your idea to hook up a .mobi domain with some aerial banner advertising is brilliant. I sometimes feel that I have no clue what marketing is all about when folks post ideas like that to this forum. It's astonishing to me that I've been able to make any money at all in this business with such a limited imagination.

In any case, sfcom, Beachy's neck of the woods is a great spot for a vacation. You're within striking distance of some of the most spectacular museums, monuments and scenery this gal has ever experienced.

ABW Ambassador
    >>house on the cheap for a week in June

What they call a "cottage" can run $6 to $8K for the week.
    Some top affiliates are getting together in late May on the Isle of Palms, SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    ...Some top affiliates are getting together in late May on the Isle of Palms, SC.
    Is that an invite? Beach blogging...I like it.

-sfcom

Okay, I concede that there is a theoretical connection between affiliate marketing and "aerial marketing," but I'm still skeptical.

I think your two (ad text) examples are "too long" but I certainly concede that it's likely that a clever affiliate marketer could identify an effective shorter phrase, and a memorable .mobi domain name. And I think the restaurant idea is a good one -- though I'm not quite sure how you'd effectively monetize such a site.

It's not that I'm not sure how you could "theoretically" monetize such a site, since I know you could theoretically monetize such as site by getting a reservation bounty or a tiny cut from each restaurant tab you push (or coupon redeemed). Instead, I'm skeptical about the "actual" monetization in the real world where there are no companies with an effective restaurant-referral affiliate program and the cost to 'line up' relationships would be huge). Of course, there are many other options -- use your mobile phone to get stuff delivered to you at the beach (sun tan lotion, pizza, swimsuit, taxi, condoms).

For me, the starting point is always "Doing the math." If there are 100,000 people basking in the sun opn the beach under the plane's path, I assume that fewer than 10% would even "perceive" the flying banner, and I suspect that "far fewer than 1,000" people would pull out their properly-enabled phones and attempt to visit the advertised site. What percentage of those could you effectively monetize? What are the odds that you'd make back your investment (which I'd expect would be quite a bit more than $200)?

I suppose your "test campaign" would be to walk down the beach wearing a sandwich board, or carrying a sign.

It's an interesting idea, and I'd love to see you try it and perhaps make it work. However, I really do believe that the original question was not intended to be about affiliate marketing at all.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    All else aside--The main thing I find wrong with aerial advertising is that the banners are usually too far away for me to be able to read them!

It won't matter how many people can "see" it if they can't catch what it says.

Yes this is probably age-related...I had no trouble reading those things when I was about 10 yrs old. But I'd rather have my ads be able to reach a far bigger audience than only kids and adults under 25-30.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

there are no companies with an effective restaurant-referral affiliate program
    Mark, check out restaurant.com on CJ. Their numbers look pretty good. The reason I know about them is that I have a domain I've been sitting on since '96 having to do with dinner out and it's in 'the' coveted top level domain. I've decided to finally put it to work and with a quick search came up with their affiliate program.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    I like the way you think Beachy. I would guess that most affiliates out there don't even own a .mobi domain.
    Thanks. And, probably not. A .mobi is not needed to format a page to work on small mobile devices. It's just that the marketing of .mobi includes the indication that a dot-mobi will always work on those devices, whereas other domains may or may not.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    .....Got any friends who have a house on the cheap for a week in June? If so, let me know.....
    Unfortunately I don't. All of our beach friends use there condos as second homes and do not even rent them out. But if you do get down here, I'd certainly like to meet up and share a drink or two - on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    .....In any case, sfcom, Beachy's neck of the woods is a great spot for a vacation. You're within striking distance of some of the most spectacular museums, monuments and scenery this gal has ever experienced.....
    Absolutely. And there is a network of small "niche" museums also. A while back I created a small pro-bono site for them at http://www.octhebeach.com/museum .
    .....how you could "theoretically" monetize such a site, since I know you could theoretically monetize such as site by getting a reservation bounty or a tiny cut from each restaurant tab you push (or coupon redeemed)......
    Yeah, it is sad no such good aff program exists - I could really use it on a couple of sites. However, in this case my .mobi site displays nearly 120 local restaurants with a brief description (and soon individual photos) and a one-click dialing link. The restaurants are currently displayed alphabetically, ten to a page. I'm willing to bet I can sell "top of page one positions" to those lower in the alphabet. I have a local realtor who is already doing this. And, until I get this site further developed it make a couple bucks per month with Adsense. (Yep, Adsense. However, I will eventually remove the Adsense because currently the ads are not very relevant.) If the test comes to fruition I'll be sure to share the results. I am still hot on developing for the mobile web - I do not intend to be playing "catch up" two years from now.

As an aside...Hotels.com already has a booking interface available for the iPhone and Blackberry-size screens and a colleague is working on an xml version right now - for us. But currently I have a tracked toll-free reservations phone number I can use for the hotels in "the system."
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    .....main thing I find wrong with aerial advertising is that the banners are usually too far away for me to be able to read them!
    The planes here are allowed to fly quite close to the beach and low over the water. Even my "old" eyes can easily read the banners.

Some marketing tests were done by the advertisers (so the results are propaganda) and they claim a 50% readership. I have watched people - and they do look at nearly every airplane. Of course the kids don't count. But the 20 and 30-somethings are looking for restaurants and night spots. I'm willing to risk/invest/waste the $250/300 bucks this summer for a marketing test of my own. Then I can determine furthere development plans from there...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    This coming tourist season I have plans to explore aerial advertising for a dot-mobi site about a specific beach resort. For a couple hundred bucks I can get a banner towed for two hours, cycling along ten miles of beach with over 100,000 people basking in the sun.
    Dude, you get in the way of the tanning types and their sun, you're going to wanna make sure you don't fly too low.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    But the 20 and 30-somethings are looking for restaurants and night spots. I'm willing to risk/invest/waste the $250/300 bucks this summer for a marketing test of my own. Then I can determine furthere development plans from there...
    WTG Beachy!

Good idea!

----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_C
    Dude, you get in the way of the tanning types and their sun,
    Think positive!

And try to look at the bright side! (Even if his banners get on the way)

He could also be saving some people from getting a sunburn!

14. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread