ABW Ambassador
    Prozac for Pets
    PETS at risk of self-harm are increasingly being prescribed anti-depressants because they cannot discuss problems in their lives with others, a leading veterinarian says.

FULL STORY

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I had a lovely Bichon Frise that I adopted out of an unhappy home. He had obsessive-compulsive disorder which was not a big problem until he developed iritis and started going blind. When he ultimately lost most of his vision the OCD went through the roof. It was very upsetting for me to see him like that as I could only imagine his distress.

My vet prescribed Buspar which worked a little to relieve his symptoms but not enough to give him a decent quality of life. After six months of Buspar and attempts at behavior modification I decided to put him to sleep. It was heartbreaking to have to put down an otherwise healthy dog but he was miserable and exhausted all the time.

If your dog spends a lot of time licking its paws or patrolling the house you might want to talk to your vet about the possibility of OCD. This is not a disorder that most dog owners realize can affect their pets.

web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    A lot of my cat whispering clients come to me when things reach this point. I try to use other methods first, since these medications are expensive and toxic. Maybe not toxic in the sense that rat poison is toxic, but any animal (like any person) unable to express what is bothering it will eventually go nuts. And the meds only mask the problem. I deal with the causes. It's harder, takes time and effort, but it works.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tn-morgen
    And the meds only mask the problem. I deal with the causes. It's harder, takes time and effort, but it works.
    Very true!
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    PETS at risk of self-harm are increasingly being prescribed anti-depressants because they cannot discuss problems in their lives with others, a leading veterinarian says.
    What the hell do he really knows?

PETS may not discuss problems in their lives with humans, because of the different language barriers, or just because because they don't want to . But who can say that they don't really discuss their problems with other pets?

Btw, I am an , and I also don't usually like to discuss some of the problems in our planet with some humans or other 's, so that leading veterinarian don't know jack!

But now...!

Where can I order some anti-depressants for my anonymous species?

Can I order it under my pet name?

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread