Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Google Changing Algorythym Thursday
    Just noticed this as I was checking the market close today. As I have not received the referenced email from Google, I don't know the particulars. But it sounds potentially interesting.

They are going to add keywords to an automatic match algo that they hope will create more clicks "for" advertisers (which most likely means "for" google, ).

Guess it's in beta and I'm not participating in the beta so we'll see what happens and what effect it has for / ON advertisers.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/tic...52&Symbol=GOOG
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    It's why I don't do broad match

*for those that didn't check the article, it's not the natural serps, it's just broad match PPC*

Call me old, but call me intuitive too!!

Trust, why did I KNOW that YOU would be the first person who responded to the thread??

You have just GOT to get out of that dark room and check out what the outside world looks like since your last view of it!! LOL

Yep, it is a broad match add on, so people will want to think real hard (and then think again) about whether it will benefit or adversely impact their ppc budgets. I too do not do any broad match - it just doesn't tweak my hubs, but it will be interesting to see if anyone other than G benefits from it.

Now get up, walk outside, slowly open your eyes so the light does not shock your optic nerves, and take a look at how cars have changed since you last surfaced.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

All Your Money Are belong to Us
    Apparently it's Google's new approach to depleting an advertisers "surplus budget" (sounds strangely like something my ex-wife would say). Here's the content of the e-mail that went out as found on SEO-Fast-Start:

I'm excited to tell you that you have been selected to participate in a beta for our new Automatic Matching feature which will be starting on February 28th.

Automatic Matching automatically extends your campaign's reach by using surplus budget to serve your ads on relevant search queries that are not already triggered by your keyword lists. By analyzing the structure and content of your website and AdWords campaigns, we deliver more impressions and clicks while maintaining your current CTRs and CPCs.

For example, If you sold Adidas shoes on your website, Automatic Matching would automatically crawl your landing page and target your campaigns to queries such as: "shoes" "adidas" "athletic", etc., and less obvious ones such as "slippers" that our system has determined will benefit you and likely lead to a conversion on your site.

Be assured that automatic matching will try to never exceed your budget. If you're already meeting your daily budgets, automatic matching will have a minimal effect on your account.
    Here's a link to the full post: http://www.seofaststart.com/blog/adw...-fall-for-this

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; February 25th, 2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Changed Title
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    It's funny how they try to spin it. Stocks are down, let's get more money out of our advertisers by expanding their keyword lists for them, lol and tell them it's beneficial to them.

"You have just GOT to get out of that dark room and check out what the outside world looks like since your last view of it!! LOL"

Alright, alright. I will leave shortly to go get some burgers somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Apparently it's Google's new approach to depleting an advertisers "surplus budget"-rematt
    Of course an advertiser can always adjust their daily budget downward to reduce the "surplus" G has spun. Surplus???

Guess they can't appreciate that advertisers like to come in "under" budget as opposed to G spending every cent of their so called surplus. But when you are the only productive SE in existence, this happens.

I strongly suspect the quality of the automatic match traffic will be substantially lower than the ppc targeted visits, so modifying the budget downward may be a reality. Once it is out of beta, it may be worth testing a few days and then deciding how to handle the budget question.

BTW Trust, are you still blinded from the daylight, or have you gotten your vision back?

ABW Ambassador
    So I guess this goes live tomorrow and the box will be prechecked:

"Automatic Match will go 'Production' as of May 20th, and that the checkbox for it will be pre-checked; that most likely means it will be an opt-out feature,"

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google...ds/3652665.htm

Still reading about it, don't think it affects me.

ABW Ambassador
    Per AWA in the WMW thread above, the BETA is expanding and it still affects only TINY number of advertisers from 5/20!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    BTW Trust, are you still blinded from the daylight, or have you gotten your vision back?
    The first few times, you might want to go out, at night. I've had a little experience with this issue. If you go out during the day you might go into CCD (i.e. culture-choc-disorder). Many things have changed since the 80s...beware... Better to avoid this condition... good out at night preferably between 2 and 4 AM...

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread