eBay Tool Bar - A Kludge?
    While installing some absolutely necessary piece of software (which I now don't remember what it was) recently I forgot to un-check the 'Install eBay Toolbar' box and ended up with an eBay button on the toolbar of my Firefox browser. Little grey 'popup' windows began appearing in the lower right corner of the browser window alerting me to sold items, won items, you owe money items etc. Ok... this is a little redundant I thought because I literally live in my email client and use autoreply software extensively and obsessively attend to any email that arrives to the voice of the Star Trek computer (Nurse Christine Chapel's voice) telling me 'you've got new mail'.

Every once in a while one of those vitally important pop ups would gleefully inform me that I had sold another item but upon investigation I could find no record of the sale. I finally realized that these false announcements were triggered when eBay store inventory items with sales were auto renewed every thirty days. (Ok, becoming disillusioned...)

I began having difficulty with the Firefox browser locking up. So I killed the Firefox process and recovered all the open sessions when asked upon rerunning Firefox. (But I don't want the Firefox button on the right end of my task bar!) It seemed that this started happening shortly after a Firefox software update. Some days this was a real problem as it happened a lot. I found that if I just waited (up to a full minute at times) the browser would suddenly come back to life. Ok, can't take this anymore! Then I spotted that eBay button on my toolbar again. I wonder? So, I removed the eBay toolbar. You know where this is going... The lockups stopped. I haven't had a Firefox lockup for several days now. And, as I write this, I suddenly realize what that absolutely necessary piece of software was. It was the Firefox update with a checkbox and a caption; 'Install eBay Toolbar'!

Anyone use the eBay toolbar?

War and Peace has nothing on this post..

I am an eBay Powerseller and have learned the hard way, not to download anything that eBay offers. I have TurboLister 2 out of necessity, but really wish I didn't have to have that on any of my computers. Needless to say, it is only on one of my computers. And that computer is my worst one, ever since I put TL2 on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYMEDINC
    ...not to download anything that eBay offers.
    We as a rule don't use any of eBay's software with one exception. We use the eBay Accounting Assistant. This is one piece of software that works good and doesn't booger (Add to dictionary) up your computer. It imports all eBay sales and then exports them out to Quick Books. It's very convenient for accounting and order processing/tracking.

ANY toolbar (even googles) is a bad idea. Seems you always run into trouble down the line using them. Keep your browser clean and just say "no" to dru... I mean toolbars.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    just say "no" to dru... I mean toolbars.
    Very good policy...

Installed tool bars always make me feel like there's a big eye watching my every move and then a mouth telling someone else about it...

Boomers- YIKES! Sounds like a nightmare. Your post is making me extremely curious about what exactly you were downloading when you accidentally got the toolbar. Was it ebay software or something else entirely?

In answer to your question, NO, I don't use the ebay toolbar, and I really don't want to, either. I'm not sure what it's supposed to do but I am already convinced that it's another "enhancement" that I do not need. Your post offered even more evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    say "no" to dru...
    drudge?
    druids?
    drunks?
    drugs?
    drupe?
    drums?

Quote Originally Posted by amysolovay
    Your post is making me extremely curious about what exactly you were downloading when you accidentally got the toolbar.
    It was actually the Firefox update that had a checkbox checked by default to install the eBay toolbar...

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread