Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    popping up site in lightbox
    I know frames and forcing a cookie are bad. But I love exploring some of these web 2.0ish effects, like lightboxes, hoverboxes, shadowboxes, they all do about the same thing, just have different names. Some of these "boxes" allow opening up external websites. I was wondering if this would be considered cookie stuffing.

I would have all the content on my site, product data, blog post, etc... Then when the user clicks a link the merchants website is opened in a "lightbox" that might have a link back to my site outside that light box and an option to close the box. Behind this box is the site that they clicked the link to open the lightbox. Confused yet

It's kind of like a popup on steroids, much more attractive.

Hard to explain but you web 2.0 folks know what I'm talking about, I hope

I think general consensus is that if there's a "physical click" that the customer would reasonably expect to cause another website to be visited, then you;re not going to get too much push back.

If, however, that cookie is set on a mouseover event (one of our sales blogs uses these kind of link previews, w/o affiliate cookies of course), I believe the consensus is that it's misleading, and not a value add to the merchant, and therefore bad behavior.

Am I answering your question?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Read your contracts.. More and more stores are not letting you open their site in frames. They want the entire window to be their own, so I'm sure this would violate it, if you have surrounding content linking back to your site.

I love lightboxes for images, but a popup is a popup and the consumer will see it as just that. FWIW
    Respectfully,

John

----------------------------------------------
    work = Initiate Demand
    passion = Global Ground Work

Quote Originally Posted by John Kruger
    I love lightboxes for images, but a popup is a popup and the consumer will see it as just that. FWIW

Lightboxes are really cool pop ups Actually they are more like a new layer, your site is still a little visible behind the new window.

If you have not seen some of the better ones. This was the one I was thinking about using:

http://mjijackson.com/shadowbox/

go down 3/4 the page and click the external site demo.

I've used light boxes for other purposes and have toyed with this idea also. It's a good way to 'keep your foot in the door' but without the use of frames. Nothing on the background page is clickable and the merchant's page has full control. When the box is closed your page gets the focus and becomes active again. I'm not certain why merchants balk at the use of frames (iframes excepted) other than that they want exclusivity on the page. Probably wouldn't hurt to ask the merchant and include a good explanation of how it works.

I think if you send people to a store and the url in the address bar doesn't reflect the store, they will think something may be fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    I think if you send people to a store and the url in the address bar doesn't reflect the store, they will think something may be fishy.
    I'm not certain that the average Internet user is that attentive to the URL...

I'm not certain that the average Internet user is that attentive to the URL..
    ...but they should be. And as ethical marketers, I think we need to hold ourselves to higher standard.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    ...but they should be. And as ethical marketers, I think we need to hold ourselves to higher standard.
    Yes they should be attentive to the URL and I am constantly reminding my clients of that. It would probably take a smack with a two by four to get them to pay attention, but they don't.
    I don't see anything unethical about opening another site in a lightbox. In my case the intent would be to enable the visitor to take little side trips and return to shop around, not to trick them into thinking they're where they aren't.
    The lightbox is very much like opening a new window when the link is clicked except that popup blockers don't block lightboxes like they do new windows. For me the whole reason for using lightboxes would be to circumvent the action of a blocker for the opening of a legitimate window.
    Last edited by Boomers; February 27th, 2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added a comment...

that's exactly what I'm thinking boomer I'll probably skip this for now.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread