ABW Ambassador
    Arrow MIVA Class Action
    If you purchased online advertising from MIVA, Inc., formerly known as FindWhat.com, Inc., or any of its subsidiaries, including B&B Advertising, Inc. (also known as “SearchFeed.com”), between January 1, 2000 and September 30, 2007, or if you purchased online advertising from Lycos, Inc. between September 23, 2002 and March 30, 2006, you are a class member in a class-action lawsuit, Lane’s Gifts and Collectibles et al. v. MIVA, Inc. et al., Case No. CV-2005-52-1, in the Circuit Court of Miller County, Arkansas.

payperclicksettlement.com

My first foray into PPC was with findwhat. I think this was back in 2005. Did really well with them. Didn't to any more until
    sometime in late 2006 or early 2007 after they went to the 5 cent click. All my money was gone in a day with no results.
    Didn't think much about it. Hmm think I'll check into that law suit and see what's up.
    LeDonna
    Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Cool, I'll look forward to getting share of what's left after the lawyers get theirs, and the rest is divided!

Now, what can I buy nowadays with my forthcoming 2c?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    yeah.. they screwed their system up when they open up the floodgates to fraudsters.
    Prior to that, we had a pretty good ROI

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I spent quite a bit with FindWhat in 2001-2004 or so, and the results were not bad. Once Miva took over, it went in the dumps and anything spent was a total waste, though they did greatly improve the interface (from the movie "Big Deal").

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Cool, I'll look forward to getting share of what's left after the lawyers get theirs, and the rest is divided!

Now, what can I buy nowadays with my forthcoming 2c?
    Something I previously wrote about Class Actions and Attorney's Fees. Litigating a class action lawsuit can easily cost millions of dollars in litigation costs. If such a case is lost, it is the attorneys, who have to advance such costs, who are out that money.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; February 26th, 2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: addendum
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I told you so.

:-)

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I saw this one coming too. We advertised with Findwhat from 2000 - 2005 and actually had a pretty respectable ROI. Then Miva stepped in and it went downhill. It is unfortunate that what was once a pretty decent 2nd tier engine went down the tube. As an industry, we need engines that at least offer some alternative to The Great One. Competition, however slight it might be, is healthy for our industry.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

If I read that notice correctly, you have to show proof of the amount of your expenses that was attributed to click fraud. Any ideas on how to determine that amount?
    ~Ernie

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Having said what I said (and still feel to be correct) about class actions in general, I just looked over the terms of the MIVA settlement, and find them totally unsatisfactory:

1) As erninator said, how do you possibly "show proof of the amount of your expenses that was attributed to click fraud"; and

2) There is no monetary recovery, only a 50% discount on future ppc purchases, up to the amount of your "recovery".

As of now, I may well take the third option and submit a formal objection to the settlement.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Having said what I said (and still feel to be correct) about class actions in general, I just looked over the terms of the MIVA settlement, and find them totally unsatisfactory:

1) As erninator said, how do you possibly "show proof of the amount of your expenses that was attributed to click fraud"; and

2) There is no monetary recovery, only a 50% discount on future ppc purchases, up to the amount of your "recovery".

As of now, I may well take the third option and submit a formal objection to the settlement.

I've been involved in a few class actions over the past 25 years and as such I got a chuckle out of what is proposed as a settlement in this one. The attorneys are the only ones who will benefit monetarily. Don't waste your time objecting to the settlement. The 0.42 cents or 50% discount on fraudulent clicks you would receive are not worth the angst.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Yeah I think we are getting in on this. Gonna sit back and enjoy the fight. OUr attorneys are on retainer I think.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Interesting. You have to spend double the amount of your estimated fraudulent clicks to receive the value that you originally paid for. That is if you could actually find value in any of their clicks. Should we assume that roughly the same percentage of these clicks will be fraudulent also?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread