Question Are my expectations too high? Confused...
    Hi

Hoping someone can give me a bit of advice here. I'm new, this is my first post apart from the "introduction" one I did after signing up to the forum.

A bit of background: I run a blog which doesn't generate a huge amount by any means, but I first started it about a year ago. I write about beauty products, makeup, girly stuff.... with affiliate advertising and links placed through the blog. After about 6 months of only getting traffic of about 10 people per day I gave up.

A few months later decided to have a look at it again and found traffic was a bit more, not much but it gave me incentive to start blogging again. That was a few months ago and after doing the right things to generate traffic I am getting over 120 visitors per day. Not much I know, but the higher it grows the more time I want to spend blogging.

The issue I have is this. I have affiliate links down the side of my posts and sometimes if I talk about a particular product that has an affiliate programs associated with it, I use affiliate links. I don't write about a particular product just because of the fact it has an affiliate program but if I can make some money out of it, why not? I am getting zero clicks on any of my affiliate links, including when I have written a post about one.

For example, I did one yesterday about a particular beauty product and used affiliate links instead of just general links to their site. and when I have checked today I haven't recorded a single click. I have checked that mu clcik through URL's are all correct and include my affiliate ID. Is it weird to have over 120 people view the blog on one day and not a single one of them click on a link? Am I expecting too much from such little traffic???

Thanks guys

ABW Ambassador
    "I have affiliate links down the side of my posts and sometimes if I talk about a particular product that has an affiliate programs associated with it, I use affiliate links."

What do you mean down the side? It should work if they're in the content of the post ala:

blah blah blah blah this great product blah blah blah blah etc.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline Elle
    Hi

The issue I have is this. I have affiliate links down the side of my posts and sometimes if I talk about a particular product that has an affiliate programs associated with it, I use affiliate links.
    If you mean affiliate links in your sidebar then unless you have a ton of traffic, don't expect it to convert well unless you are using quickie CPA offers.

The next thing you should do is make sure you are cloaking your affiliate links because a lot of people don't like to click on links that look like ads. Some may disagree but I've found it works better when all affiliate links are redirected via javascript.

Also, some things work better than others when blogging. You have to keep it up. It takes time to figure out what works best for your blog. Some of my blogs do better with affiliate programs; others do not and I choose to use Adsense, Chitka, selling ad space, etc.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "I have affiliate links down the side of my posts and sometimes if I talk about a particular product that has an affiliate programs associated with it, I use affiliate links."

What do you mean down the side? It should work if they're in the content of the post ala:

blah blah blah blah this great product blah blah blah blah etc.
    Exactly!!!

There's a difference between a personal endorsement, associative selling and background advertising. Move yourself closer to the products in your visitor's eyes and see what happens.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Although sometimes it does happen, I normally don't expect a link to receive clicks the very next day. That just isn't realistic.

Was the page the link was on already indexed by the search engines?

I'm not too sure whether it was indexed at the time of my original post but it has been now. I still haven't recorded any clicks against this affiliate link.

What I meant before about having affiliate links down the side was that i have the main area which my posts go into them down the side I have advertising, which are just affiliate links.

Thank you to those who responded. I really think I am expecting too much too soon and perhaps needs to try a few different ways of writing my posts to see what works for me.

Hi Caroline, I have a website about beauty and fashion and have recently started a blog. I don't have any specific answers for you about how to effectively market products and format your blog, but I can provide you with a resource I found helpful:

http://www.glam.com/publishers/category/All/blogs

The URL lists some popular blogs for beauty and fashion that might help answer your questions.

Good Luck!

Did it not track when you clicked the link? If it didn't track that, then you have some linking problem somewhere.
    If its just slow, then you gotta entice people to click, after you talk about some product, say "CLICK HERE to find out more about it, and get pricing, etc... "
    In this business, it's all about the click, if you just talk about something and don't tell them they can click, they might just go type it in the address bar, or google it or something.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Caroline,

You could try making pages of like products with pictures (makeup, hair stuff, accessories, etc.) and direct your traffic to those pages via text links in your editorial. There's a difference between sales pages and information pages - many people need to see pictures and descriptions to convince them to click and buy.

Look into Pop Shops - you'll get ideas on how to group products to give your visitors choices and information on products to entice their interest and click. It's very easy to set up and manage.

After you start seeing clicks, you'll wonder why they're not buying. LOL - Just stay with it. If you're writing good information, people will come back and eventually buy something you recommend once you build trust.

You're on the right track about not promoting anything you don't believe in - stay focused and put in the time - you'll see results once your blog is older and people start coming back because you're giving them something of value. Good work is always rewarded.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

1. Click a link yourself and make sure it is tracking correctly.
    2. Check your stats program to see if your 120 visitors/day are spending time on your site and going to multiple pages. If not, they might just be coming in and backing out right away without reading any of the articles or looking at the links.
    3. Realize that many people come to look for information and rarely click on things.
    4. Throw conventional wisdom out the door and keep testing new formats until people start clicking.

I don't know about anyone else but for me it takes over 120 people to click on links and then it takes a lot of click before I will see conversions. Depending on the ad, it may take 50 - 100 clicks before conversion to a sale is generated. It probably takes about 1000 visitors to receive the 50 to 100 clicks.

I agree with using javascrypt to redirect the link. It takes a while to figure out what your visitors like and what they will click on.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread